U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 07:22 AM

4 posts, read 6,241 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm about to graduate from college in December with a degree in Finance. I had a good internship over the summer, and I've had a couple interviews in New York. But due to the economy and job market, I think I'm going to take off 6 months and take the CFA Level 1 exam in June, then apply to jobs.

So I'm looking for a fun city/beach to live at for the time being. I was thinking a place like Charleston, SC. Any place with a fun nightlife, jobs, and girls would be good.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:11 AM

569 posts, read 1,303,861 times
If you are looking for a party city then I'm not so sure Charlotte is for you. Charlotte's nightlife is improving. There are many clubs and singles around the uptown area but it is really nothing like a beach town such as Charleston. You also have areas like Noda where there is lots of young singles, art and live music. Charlotte and Charleston both offer completely different atmospheres and lifestyles. I would suggest coming down and spending a few days in both cities to get a better idea of what they are like. If you come here expecting a nightlife like Vegas or NYC you will be dissapointed. I'm not trying to talk you out of moving here but I would like you to have realistic expectations of the area. If you are considering Charleston please keep in mind like many beach towns it slows down during the winter. I hope this helps and wish you luck in your search.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:51 AM

I am actually from Charlotte. It's a fun city, but I want to go somewhere else. But thanks.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:01 AM

1,852 posts, read 4,889,040 times
Can't go Wrong With a stint in Vegas I would check out Charleston or Miami.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:07 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,432,856 times
San Diego, Portland, Seattle, Boston.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 PM

624 posts, read 1,984,080 times
Geez I'm just sorta jealous, when I graduated back in May, I found myself with student loans and general cost of living - you must be quite the finance major to be able to come out and go straight on vacation.

Ya might wanna consider seeing if there are any more internship opportunities (probably doubtful for a lot of finance companies) that might be able to fill your time so that you've got some sort of income. Plus, at least when I was applying for a job back in Oct '07 - the companies I applied to wanted to know what I was up to for the past few years, and a six month gap of partying and R&R might be questioned...but Charleston sounds fun.

What sort of budget do you have for this six month stretch, might help with city suggestions? Also when you says jobs, what sort of jobs are you looking for, just something temp to help cover the cost or something to gain experience?

Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I actually have about 50,000+ in student loans to be paid back, but the payments don't start until June '09. My plan is to work at a bar or restaurant to make as much money as I can. At the same time, I'll be studying for the first level (out of 3) of the CFA exam. And if I pass that, I shouldn't have much of a problem getting the job I want. But I think Charleston is my best bet, considering all the bars/restaurant and good nightlife there. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:34 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,177,700 times
I suggest New Orleans, Miami Beach, Cancun, Panama City, fl (April-August)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte