Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:31 PM

311 posts, read 915,924 times

Advertisements

HELP! My husband and I are looking to buy a house in Cabarrus County. Now, I am not from here so I don't mean to offend anyone by saying this, BUT this certain area has a bunch of trailers around. For me, this makes me concerned about the area. It's near these subdivisions, Rocky River something or other?? The Farm At River Pointe, Summers Walk, there's a new Lowe's nearby,... I think it's off of Poplar Tent Rd or something? So, we kind of have to make a quick decision (next couple of weeks) about buying the house, but I wanted to see if anybody knew this area or lived in it and could tell me about this trailer stuff... I mean, okay, pluses:

-Cabarrus County lower taxes
-good schools
-area building up
-considered Davidson, right near huntersville, between 77 and 85
-Realtor lady says everyone is happy with the neighborhood but can't say alot gosh darnit because they're not allowed (I think this is not right lol) and I do not like that they can only direct you to a crime statistics website.. I want to hear from PEOPLE!

So I am not terribly concerned I think it will be okay, I just don't know what to think of the trailers??? me and DH just think it's severe COUNTRY living lol (people who have lived there a looong time, but now it is being built up so their open space is being invaded) but not that it's necessarily a slummy area. Does this make sense? OKAY, your turn! Help a sister out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 06:29 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
Not being funny but most new construction around here will have trailers nearby, don't worry about it, they have been there a lot longer than the houses have.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Do areas like this usually buy out the land that the trailers are on? Will they always be there??

Old 11-09-2008, 01:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
Do areas like this usually buy out the land that the trailers are on? Will they always be there??
Let me see if I can explain this to you...

in the rural south trailers and manufactured homes are not uncommon. They are the cheapest form of homeownership available and all that some people will ever be able to afford. For southerners there is no shame in owning one or in living in one. Cabarrus County is mostly a rural county, thus there will always likely be trailers around.

Sometimes rural areas that have been encroached upon by the city limits and now border DESIRABLE parts of a city will often be bought out by developers for further developing. This has happened in a few places around Charlotte, but not everywhere. To guessitmate whether the area you are interested in will all eventually be bought out and developed you'd have to know what kinds of development are already slated to go in nearby. Personally, I detest overdevelopment and would much rather see the rural landscape, trailers and all.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:15 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Default Trailer Power

Judging from your screen name I'm assuming your're coming from NY.
You're familiar, I'm sure with "trendy". One of these days some brilliant marketing guy will put a "spin" on trailer living in the CLT area. It will be talked about, promoted and pimped to the highest level of spin by "trend setters" So, don't worry. One of these days (maybe real soon with a lot of changes coming in housing) you will kick yourself you didn't buy one of those trailers.

It may turn out that those trailers will be worth more than your house!
If you think I'm kidding check out how a 900 SQ. FT house, Bungalow style, 3 miles from Uptown being worth 225k min. and points north.And I not talking about Dilworth, Meyers Pk.

Buying one of those trailers has other advantages for relocators. If you don't like CLT after a period of time hook that baby up and haul back to LI and use it as a second home.Park it in the driveway and you'll cut down on gas traveling to the "weekend" house.

Good luck
je

Old 11-09-2008, 04:04 PM

hahah, I have no intention of buying one of those trailers or ANY trailer for that matter.. I could never, but that's just me. I think the land is being bought out so i'm not too worried about it.. I am just not used to seeing trailers I thought it was odd

Old 11-09-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
hahah, I have no intention of buying one of those trailers or ANY trailer for that matter.. I could never, but that's just me. I think the land is being bought out so i'm not too worried about it.. I am just not used to seeing trailers I thought it was odd
Uh, I believe John was being faceitous.

The trailers may seem odd to you, but they really can be the norm for this area.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Most of us Southerners find it hard to deal w/ the slums, tenements and gubment housing we see when we cross the Mason Dixon line, so I guess it is all just what you are used to seeing.

I prefer trailers to tenements myself. But if I moved to NY . . . I suspect I would just keep my mouth shut if all I could afford was a flat bordering Spanish Harlem.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:17 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Uh, I believe John was being faceito

Loves I think you and Ani know me better than most . I was not being "faceito". Heck, isn't that a sexual offense of some kind?

I was "playing". and having fun too I might add.

je

Old 11-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Loves I think you and Ani know me better than most . I was not being "faceito". Heck, isn't that a sexual offense of some kind?

I was "playing". and having fun too I might add.

je
hehehehehehe - you were too being faceitous! I will leave you to go look up the definition - and no, you're safe on the sexaual offense concern, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte