Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:13 PM

3,364 posts, read 9,988,317 times

Advertisements

Any brandy should work, my Aunt made this for me years ago.

If you do not have brandy.

Then just make a whisky hot toddy which is water, brown sugar & whisky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 07:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
My feel-better food is cheesegrits. No healing properties as far as sinuses, but it tastes good and make me feel much, much better.
Great suggestion! DS loves my cheesegrits so I could fix those, too. We like cheesegrits w/ veggie omelettes . . .

Thanks for the terrific idea, Colddiamond.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Any brandy should work, my Aunt made this for me years ago.

If you do not have brandy.

Then just make a whisky hot toddy which is water, brown sugar & whisky
I never did a whisky toddy w/ the brown sugar!!!! What a great idea!!!

Gosh, I can have a different one every nite!!!

I have apple brandy here and might have some peach brandy, as well. The peach brandy (if there is any still here) is homegrown by some of my dear friends who live in our wonderful NC mountains . . .

Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,011,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Great suggestion! DS loves my cheesegrits so I could fix those, too. We like cheesegrits w/ veggie omelettes . . .

Thanks for the terrific idea, Colddiamond.
Not a problem!

-Goes to the kitchen to fix herself some-

Old 11-07-2008, 07:29 PM

3,364 posts, read 9,988,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I never did a whisky toddy w/ the brown sugar!!!! What a great idea!!!

Several years ago I ended up behind a bar in Amsterdam's red light district making them.

Now that's another story

Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Several years ago I ended up behind a bar in Amsterdam's red light district making them.

Now that's another story
We need a back page to our CLT forum . .. where we can all just sit around . . . and share our various stories . . . Until then, tho, my imagination is having fun w/ all the potential nuances of your Amersterdam story . . .

Old 11-07-2008, 08:17 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,640,758 times
I like hot milk with sugar-free vanilla to get me to sleep at night. Doesn't help the cold but helps you sleep. Warm milk has those tryptophans or whatever turkey has, I think. Of course, whiskey will help you sleep, too!

As we are not children, I think tylenol is much better than aspirin or NSAIDS when you are sick. I used to give it to myself before I had to get my flu shot and I take it when I have the flu (rare occasion these days). It seems to lower fever better, at least for me, than aspirin or NSAIDS. WHen I'm well, I go back to Aleve for my various aches.

Is there a soup kitchen anywhere near? There is actually a restuarant here called The Soup Kitchen-all they make is soups from scratch and breads. If you can find a place you like, send someone else out for fresh soup every day! Or else the proven remedy of chicken soup.

Hope you guys get over this soon!

Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,481,998 times
Hey Ani, make a list & send your son to Trader Joe's.

Trader Joe's uncrystallized Candied Ginger. (At the least, it settles your stomach.)

A bottle of Trader Joe's General Tso's sauce. (Use a little on a vegetable or pork or chicken. There's garlic & ginger in that,)

Then have him go to the frozen food aisle for 3 things. There's 2 frozen rice dishes that are Indian & have him get you the frozen Thai shrimp gyoza (probably no medicinal value, but they are good, & they will likely not cause digestive problems.)

Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 PM

380 posts, read 1,751,845 times
Ani, sorry you are feeling so sick. I don't know about food but you should get yourself a hot tub. Sitting in there with the steam coming up all around you is the best when I have a cold. And speaking of that, I have heard that people who have hot tubs and use them often like when it is cold, tend to get sick less. Not sure if this is a proven theory but I had one in Ohio and used them all winter even in the snow. And I did get sick a lot less than others. And I have been here in Charlotte for almost a year and have not had even as much as a cold. I was starting to think that you don't have many germs down here. Get a hot tub asap. Hope you feel better asap too.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:57 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,358,578 times
As far as spicy foods for a common cold goes, any cayenne pepper (or capsule) with a high BTU, SCU or HU would do the trick. They'll tell you that cayenne pepper is the single most difficult herb to master, but if you do the health benefits are truly enormous. If the mood strikes me I'll toss cayenne pepper into popcorn. The only thing with cayenne pepper is that it's such a potent herb that you still have to moderate how much you take in. That might've been the spice that that was put in the food you were talking of. Either that or curry. One of the benefits of cayenne over curry would be to not have to worry about it coming through the pores of your skin if you take in too much.

A friend of mine had given me a recipe to take three times a day. It went something like one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, two tablespoons of honey, and I believe 2 1/4 teaspoons of cayenne pepper along with just a quick dose of hot water to cut into the honey. The first several times I took this stuff it felt like there was a war raging in my stomach. After about a week or so you really do feel a huge difference in how you feel each day. My wife took the stuff about a week before she was supposed to give blood. She filled that bag in about four minutes, faster than the phlebotomist had ever seen anyone fill it, certainly much faster than she was ever able to. I really do have to go back onto that mixture. I'm one of those guys where the things that help everyone else never seem to help me, yet that one did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte