Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:08 PM

573 posts, read 2,442,127 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been to this? We live in Hickory (45 mins from CLT) and are thinking of making the drive down....if.....its is any better than the ones in our area. I am just used to bigger parades with actual floats and lots or real old fashioned Christmas music. Also is it a free event or is there an admission?

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 07:35 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,320,362 times
Carolinas Carrousel Parade link:
Carolinas' Carrousel Parade

Old 11-07-2008, 09:22 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,909,043 times
This one of those topics where I probably bristle the native's with their least favorite topic... "that's not how we did it up North".

I grew up on the Jersey Shore, so I spent many a holiday with my family and other relatives watching the New York City and Philadelphia parades. There is nothing like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade! Or a Mummers Parade in Philly. (I do give mad props to those folks that put on the Rose Parade in Pasadena every year too.)

Anyway, the local parades just aren't my cup of tea after going to the big parades back in the day. But, from what I've seen on the local news, the holiday parades in this area are pretty good for what they are. Enjoy!

Old 11-08-2008, 06:09 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,043 times
Of course nothing compares to the Macy's parade. LOL!

Believe it or not the Christmas parade in Belmont is pretty nice. Besides the usual parade participants. There are usually appearances by local tv anchors, area mascots (Sir Purr, Homer ) and almost all of the major radio stations.

I don't think it's worth a long drive but if would be interesting for someone is in the area.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:55 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,295 times
Last year the Charlotte parade actually took a step in making it a much nicer production. I forget the details, but they hired some entertainment company to "jazz it up" a bit more than years past. So you saw nicer floats, more choreographed productions and "snazzier" props than in years past. No, its not like Macy's in NY, but I I wouldn't discourage you from coming down to see it. You might be pleasantly surprised, and it would give you a chance to do other things in the city while here.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 14,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Believe it or not the Christmas parade in Belmont is pretty nice.
(GASP!!) You typed the "C" word!!! Don't you know that probably offended someone???!!!

Old 11-23-2008, 11:55 PM

573 posts, read 2,442,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
This one of those topics where I probably bristle the native's with their least favorite topic... "that's not how we did it up North".
I am not used to any huge parades, I lived in FL most of my life but the two holiday parades we went to near us last year in Hickory and Valdese didn't have many floats or entertainment and were kind of short in my opinion. Just loud dragracers and emergency vehicles and candy thrown at our heads. I like candy but dont want to fight with a 10 year old to get it.

I may have to check out the charlotte one, thanks for the link

Old 11-24-2008, 02:42 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,963,472 times
The Charlotte parade is the best in our area. Growing up it was really a treat on Thanksgiving Day to head to Tryon St for the Carrousel Parade. I am sure it doesn't compare with NY, NJ and I have been to the Rose Parade in Pasadena. But the Charlotte parade is ours and we love it!

My sister was Miss Belk 1955 ... she had the sitting on the back of the convertible, the 'wave' and the smile down to a tee!

Old 11-27-2008, 06:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times

YouTube - Charlotte Thanksgiving Parade 2008

Old 11-27-2008, 07:09 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The Charlotte parade is the best in our area. Growing up it was really a treat on Thanksgiving Day to head to Tryon St for the Carrousel Parade.
Maybe now, but the Salisbury-Spencer parade used to be top dog. Never sure why. Started in Spencer, marched through that small town, then loaded up and marched through Salisbury.

Bands, Floats, purty gurls, horses, politicians... it had it all. Have not been back to that area in years, so I do not even know if they still have one, but back in the day......Oh Yeah!!!!!!!

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte