Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,544 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering buying a house in the Sheffield Park area. The neighborhood is right off of Independence Blvd., off of Wilshire Place. The neighborhood is older, developed and tucked away. It seems quiet and pleasant even though that side of town doesn't always have the best reputation. Wal-Mart just bought some land on Independence and I suppose they are building a new Wal-Mart there.

Does anyone live in this neighborhood or know anything about it? Also, will a new Wal-Mart bring positive or negative aspects to the area?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 04:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yougogirl1 View Post
My husband and I are considering buying a house in the Sheffield Park area. The neighborhood is right off of Independence Blvd., off of Wilshire Place. The neighborhood is older, developed and tucked away. It seems quiet and pleasant even though that side of town doesn't always have the best reputation. Wal-Mart just bought some land on Independence and I suppose they are building a new Wal-Mart there.

Does anyone live in this neighborhood or know anything about it? Also, will a new Wal-Mart bring positive or negative aspects to the area?

Thanks for any help!

If you are a young couple getting into your first home you can really get a lot of house for your money in Sheffield Park. In addition, it's 5 minutes from uptown so if you are working uptown or are going up there a lot to party you'll find it very convenient.

One of the biggest problems with the neighborhood is the school assignments - the middle and high school are abysmal. But again, if you are young, don't have kids yet and think you'll move up before you have them old enough for middle school - don't let the schools stop you. There are very few places in Charlotte you can actually buy a nice old house for under $140,000 and be in a fairly safe area - Sheffield is one of them.

Oh, and having a WalMart in the neighborhood hasn't hurt Raintree

Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,768 times
Sheffield Park is a decent neighborhood. I have friends that have lived there for several years and never had any problems. IMO it is under rated for its proximity to everything. I would buy closer to the side near eastway and central rather than towards albemarle rd. Not a big fan of walmart in general so I do not have too many thoughts about that.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,493 times
I have lived there for 10 years. My house backs up to the lovely nature preserve- it is fantastic- awesome running and walking trails. We have an excellent community group that puts on BBQ's, keeps up on issues etc. I go run at the track at Eastway. It is close to everything. Crime can be an issue, but no more so than what my friends see in Dilworth and Midwood or pretty much anywhere in the city. There are a lot of nice, long time residents. The homes lining Independence aren't the greatest, but the homes back into the neighborhood are great. I don't think the WalMart will be a big impact other than giving us a better WalMart than the one at Eastway. But really- I shop at the Target at Midtown- 5 minute drive.

I think schools are the downside, but Midwood has the same issues.

I think it is a great value if you want to be in town, but have a reasonable mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte