Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:13 AM

113 posts, read 343,740 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate to charlotte soon and I wanted to know some info on direct TV. Does anyone have direct TV? Is it cheaper in charlotte than cable? Does it have all the local channels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 09:22 AM

174 posts, read 477,326 times
the cost of directv is pretty much the same as any cable provider, the only difference being that directv has more of the "obscure" channels that no one really watches. when you start to choose the premium channels like hbo, showtime, cinemax, it pretty much ends up being the same. the most expensive package directv offers is going to be like $93.99, for that you get all 5 hbo's, 6 cinemax, 5 starz channels, yes network, and all local channels. if you go to the website, type in your zipcode, and you can see if local channels are available. one benefit that directv has is the exclusive rights to air all nfl games, it has a nascar package where you can follow 5 drivers the entire race, and all pay per view movies. i have had directv for 2 years and the signal has been lost about 3-4 times for no more than 10 minutes any one time. i am moving in april, and will be getting directv. the website has several different offers right now, with several different price plans, just see which is best for you. hope this helps.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:22 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,680 times
We also have direct tv and love it. Our cable actually went out more than the satellite?!?! The cost for what we have with direct tv is about $5.00 cheaper than the cable, not a huge difference, but we liked the channel selection much better.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:20 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
we have direct Tv here in Jersey and i called them and my rates wont change, we are paying 20.00 less a month than my cable was...we have 5 receivers and dvr, we have all the HBO channels and whatever else they give you, plus the music and whatnot, our bill is 76.00 a month....they told me if I keep the same services my bill will be the same I would never go back to cable...where as my neighbors loose their cable all the time during storms and belive it or not we lost our satilte signal 3x in 2 years....not so bad

Old 02-24-2007, 11:33 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
We have Directv. When we first moved here we had cable for 3 months since the condo we rented was already hooked up for cable and we didn't want to mess with new wiring for such a short stay.

We hated cable! Only a few select channels are digital and additional DVRs are very expensive.

We currently have Total Choice Plus with 3 TiVos hooked up for $65 including tax.

In CA we were not taxed on Directv so our bill went up about $6 when we moved to NC where they charge tax.

Dawn

Old 02-24-2007, 12:09 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,705,053 times
the big difference is that if you want a cable modem...ie. high speed internet access you'll need cable anyway...no such capability with sat.tv.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:09 PM

yeah, but unless you get the cable phone you won't save anyway.

We have cable modem for internet ($29 a month, I was up to $45 but called and asked them if they could give me the special again or I would switch to DSL).

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
the big difference is that if you want a cable modem...ie. high speed internet access you'll need cable anyway...no such capability with sat.tv.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:17 PM

116 posts, read 551,009 times
We are building in Fort Mill and trying to decide between Comporium and DirectTV. We considered the difference in internet as we have comcast high speed in charleston, however, Comporium does seem to offer that any way (only DSL which DirectTV offers now as well). We do not want a whole lot of the premiums (no HBO, Skinemax, Showtime, etc.)

My question is, does anyone know what the additional wiring would be required for Satelite would be in 4 rooms plus DVR in 2 of them? I have never had satelite and don't know much about it so any information on hook up inside the house would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it seems comporium is very expensive and I have heard horror stories about response times being >3 weeks in some cases. Anyone have any comments?

Old 02-24-2007, 01:47 PM

Are you sure about the DSL through Direct? Last time I phoned and asked about it they said it was only available right now in Anaheim, CA. They said they hope to eventually branch out but that they were only in one location right now.

Any info would be helpful.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmD/MBA View Post
We are building in Fort Mill and trying to decide between Comporium and DirectTV. We considered the difference in internet as we have comcast high speed in charleston, however, Comporium does seem to offer that any way (only DSL which DirectTV offers now as well). We do not want a whole lot of the premiums (no HBO, Skinemax, Showtime, etc.)

My question is, does anyone know what the additional wiring would be required for Satelite would be in 4 rooms plus DVR in 2 of them? I have never had satelite and don't know much about it so any information on hook up inside the house would be greatly appreciated.

Also, it seems comporium is very expensive and I have heard horror stories about response times being >3 weeks in some cases. Anyone have any comments?

Old 02-24-2007, 03:09 PM

116 posts, read 551,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Are you sure about the DSL through Direct? Last time I phoned and asked about it they said it was only available right now in Anaheim, CA. They said they hope to eventually branch out but that they were only in one location right now.
I spoke with them on the phone and they said it was available in Fort Mill. Apparently it is through a partnership with Bellsouth Fast Access in our area. There are different partnerships in differenct localities. This is why it say online "from as low as $10". Each partnership is different. For instance, here in Charleston in would run ~$24/mo for DSL internet thought DirectTV.

I would call them again and reverify. I spoke with Dwayne at 1800Directv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte