U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:15 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,965,847 times

Advertisements

Fort Mill is definitely worth taking a look at. It fits in with your criteria of an outside suburb with a 15-30 minute commute to uptown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 07:57 PM

414 posts, read 1,197,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Dunn View Post
We loved Oldham county for its spread out hilly feel, affordable homes, small communities, and fantastic school district [with no redistricting going on*], and larger pieces of land, "but" like a lot of parts of KY, lacked any real town to speak of. Originally looked in Boone County which is south of Cincinnati also because of housing cost and great schools, but that area had no town to speak of at all [basically a suburb of Cincinnati], and only strip malls for shopping. Then we found Oldham which does have the town of La Grange which does have one little cute old town part to it with a train going through it, but the towns of Goshen, Prospect, and Crestwood basically are just some shopping areas [mostly chain stores] with nice house subdivisions built around them.

By far all of our real small towns with real main streets appeal to us a lot more that what East Louisville had to offer. Now one thing very cool about Louisville is the Ohio river running by it with cool restaurants right on the river, and their annual huge fireworks display in April for the Derby week! Beautiful tree lined and covered roads everywhere, but I'm sure that is just like your location. Also a lot of beautiful horse country of course along with all that bluegrass! Can't wait to see it. I will insert some images I took that forum ended up using as examples of the area....

[*Louisville is also getting a lot of flack over their redistricting going on, with busing of children over 2 hrs away in some cases, but that is not happening in Oldham County]
Beautiful pics. Louisville seems to be making strides. It's probably similar to Charlotte maybe 15 years ago or so.

I was born and raised in the Cincy area so I know Northern KY well. It's been getting alot of praise recently for it's face lift, but the truth is, it's still pretty gritty. I think you will find the surrounding areas of Charlotte to be much nicer.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:55 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,070,508 times
Thumbs up KY vs NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstn View Post
Beautiful pics. Louisville seems to be making strides. It's probably similar to Charlotte maybe 15 years ago or so.

I was born and raised in the Cincy area so I know Northern KY well. It's been getting alot of praise recently for it's face lift, but the truth is, it's still pretty gritty. I think you will find the surrounding areas of Charlotte to be much nicer.
Nice to hear from someone who has been and lived their. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 PM

3 posts, read 7,656 times
What does anyone know about the area around "the tradfition" golf course. We are retiring soon and are looking for a place around charlotte pr clolumbia that has affordable golf. We are also trying to determine which area has the lowest taxes and insurance cost. Any help out there?

Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 PM

33 posts, read 78,108 times
Hi, those of you who know about North Carolina , Please Help! I am a 53 yr old Nurse Practioner (NYS licensed in Women's Health, nurse for 25 yrs, NP for 18 yrs) I have been in NY all my life. Lived in NYC and Long Island .I currently work for NYS Dept of Health and want to move to North Carolina, either Triangle or Charlotte area. If I sell my home in NY, I would have about $200,000 in cash. I want to set up my own Nurse Practice (Well woman & Holistic). Do you think I could find a commercial and residential property for that much? I want to live and have a business in a area that is somewhat surburban but provides arts, culture and activities (forget about gofling, I prefer swimming, spas and community recreation).

Old 12-19-2008, 05:49 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,036,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jali887 View Post
Hi, those of you who know about North Carolina , Please Help! I am a 53 yr old Nurse Practioner (NYS licensed in Women's Health, nurse for 25 yrs, NP for 18 yrs) I have been in NY all my life. Lived in NYC and Long Island .I currently work for NYS Dept of Health and want to move to North Carolina, either Triangle or Charlotte area. If I sell my home in NY, I would have about $200,000 in cash. I want to set up my own Nurse Practice (Well woman & Holistic). Do you think I could find a commercial and residential property for that much? I want to live and have a business in a area that is somewhat surburban but provides arts, culture and activities (forget about gofling, I prefer swimming, spas and community recreation).
There are a few office rental suites in the suburbs of Charlotte. The one I know of specifically is in the University city area near Mallard Creek Rd. and WT Harris Blvd. It's called Office Suites Plus, I think. It's basically a one level office strip that rents out pre-finished office space. That would be the way I'd go before jumping into owning some real estate for a new business.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:12 PM

6,972 posts, read 15,095,019 times
Quote:

Actually, Louisville has always been substantially larger than Charlotte until recent years. In fact, the Charlotte MSA just passed that of Louisville in population in the past ten years.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Louisville has always been a more historic, larger, denser city.

That said, Charlotte has an infinite amount of growth compared to Louisville (or Richmond or somewhere similar), and with the big banks, Charlotte has substantially more wealth (that is, new money wealth as of 2009). In addition, Charlotte benefits from having a progressive state government (unlike that in KY), and it does not have to fund poor areas of its state like Louisville (for every dollar Louisvillians pay in taxes, only 40 cents come back to the city since EKY needs the money so bad due to its poverty). Certainly North Carolina's top tier university system, smart tax system, further south location, and proximity to the beach do not hurt in attracting those from the coastal NE and Midwest. Charlotte is by definition a city of transplants.

For example, in 1900, Louisville was top 20 in population. Charlotte was not even top 100. In 1950, Louisville was top 30, and Charlotte was about a third the size!

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab13.txt

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab18.txt

In 1980, Charlotte and Louisville had the same population, even though Louisville did it in half the land area and was thus twice as dense.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab21.txt

Anywho, my clear preference for cities is older ones. In my opinion, America's coolest cities are by far the ones that were the largest at the turn of the last century. This gives them unique cultural aspects. I am not sure why people are so drawn to newer cities like Charlotte, but then again, I can't understand why people line up for Walmart, Best Buy, Olive Garden, and vinyl sided houses 20 miles from downtowns either.

This is nothing against Charlotte, but beware of these fast growing suburban areas. Places like Detroit saw much more growth than a place like Charlotte or even Las Vegas is seeing today (Detroit doubled in size from 500k to 1 million in the 1910's). Well, now look at Detroit. Too fast of growth, and specifically sprawl, is detrimental to a city.

NKY suburbs of Cincinnati gritty? I strongly disagree. Old, yes? Polished? A little. But gritty? I don't know, that is not the word I would use, but then again, I am a red brick, alley loving cat raised in Chicago. I would be much more wary of the cheap developments going up for miles in sprawlbelt cities. Imagine how run down these areas will look in 3o years.

Last edited by Peter1948; 01-12-2009 at 11:40 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
NKY suburbs of Cincinnati gritty? I strongly disagree. Old, yes? Polished? A little. But gritty? I don't know, that is not the word I would use, but then again, I am a red brick, alley loving cat raised in Chicago. I would be much more wary of the cheap developments going up for miles in sprawlbelt cities. Imagine how run down these areas will look in 3o years.
You are right, maybe the word I should have used was "sleazy...scummy...nasty"...take your pick.

A couple of high rise condos and rehabbed buildings hardly disguise the crackheads, prostitutes (although less than it once was), winos and deadbeats that still dominate the streets.

Don't get me wrong there is some very nice architecture and beautiful homes, but that area is far from polished.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Actually, Louisville has always been substantially larger than Charlotte until recent years. In fact, the Charlotte MSA just passed that of Louisville in population in the past ten years.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Louisville has always been a more historic, larger, denser city.

That said, Charlotte has an infinite amount of growth compared to Louisville (or Richmond or somewhere similar), and with the big banks, Charlotte has substantially more wealth (that is, new money wealth as of 2009). In addition, Charlotte benefits from having a progressive state government (unlike that in KY), and it does not have to fund poor areas of its state like Louisville (for every dollar Louisvillians pay in taxes, only 40 cents come back to the city since EKY needs the money so bad due to its poverty). Certainly North Carolina's top tier university system, smart tax system, further south location, and proximity to the beach do not hurt in attracting those from the coastal NE and Midwest. Charlotte is by definition a city of transplants.

For example, in 1900, Louisville was top 20 in population. Charlotte was not even top 100. In 1950, Louisville was top 30, and Charlotte was about a third the size!

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab13.txt

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab18.txt

In 1980, Charlotte and Louisville had the same population, even though Louisville did it in half the land area and was thus twice as dense.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...0027/tab21.txt

Anywho, my clear preference for cities is older ones. In my opinion, America's coolest cities are by far the ones that were the largest at the turn of the last century. This gives them unique cultural aspects. I am not sure why people are so drawn to newer cities like Charlotte, but then again, I can't understand why people line up for Walmart, Best Buy, Olive Garden, and vinyl sided houses 20 miles from downtowns either.

This is nothing against Charlotte, but beware of these fast growing suburban areas. Places like Detroit saw much more growth than a place like Charlotte or even Las Vegas is seeing today (Detroit doubled in size from 500k to 1 million in the 1910's). Well, now look at Detroit. Too fast of growth, and specifically sprawl, is detrimental to a city.
Not certain of the point of your history lesson????? It's kind of irrelavant to the thread. Anyways, I marked in bold a very inaccurate statement.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:04 PM

6,972 posts, read 15,095,019 times
Quote:
Not certain of the point of your history lesson????? It's kind of irrelavant to the thread. Anyways, I marked in bold a very inaccurate statement.
Someone made the statement that they liked Louisville, and it reminded them of Charlotte 15 years ago (implying it is a smaller, less developed Charlotte). I then went thru history explaining how Louisville has always been a much larger city, and until recently, was a larger metro area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte