Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 01:21 PM

33 posts, read 100,760 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon!

Can anyone recommend any nice apartment complexes between Uptown and the University area (or just the University area). After browsing this board, it seems like the University area or Uptown would suite my interests. I am a young professional and will be working at CMC Main. I've been to various apartment rental websites and everything looks nice online...but sometimes we know that is not the case!
I have a friend that lives off of Mallard Creek Church in a nice complex (Highlands at Alexander Pointe maybe?), but honestly I would like to live a little closer to a shopping center and a little closer to Uptown. Close proximity to Expressways are always a plus.
I am willing to spend up to $700/month.

Has anyone heard anything about Ashford Green or the Piedmont at Ivy Meadow?

You all are such a great help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 01:25 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,515,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt03445 View Post
Good Afternoon!

Can anyone recommend any nice apartment complexes between Uptown and the University area (or just the University area). After browsing this board, it seems like the University area or Uptown would suite my interests. I am a young professional and will be working at CMC Main. I've been to various apartment rental websites and everything looks nice online...but sometimes we know that is not the case!
I have a friend that lives off of Mallard Creek Church in a nice complex (Highlands at Alexander Pointe maybe?), but honestly I would like to live a little closer to a shopping center and a little closer to Uptown. Close proximity to Expressways are always a plus.
I am willing to spend up to $700/month.

Has anyone heard anything about Ashford Green or the Piedmont at Ivy Meadow?

You all are such a great help! Thanks!
There isn't anywhere nice to live between University City & Uptown...IMO. I would choose one or the other. Uptown is expensive though. I do like the Highlands at Alexander Point in University City off Mallard Creek Church Rd.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:03 PM

518 posts, read 2,053,786 times
In the University area just be aware that alot of college students live in the apartments. This may be alright with you, but may not, just thought I'd suggest it as something to ask about. Just driving by the many apartments in the U area, they all seem really nice. There is many that are very close to shopping also. Good Luck.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:10 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,195,016 times
You would be ok west of 85 north of Harris. More North the better, such as Mallard Creek. About 20 to 25 minutes from Uptown.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:49 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,695,165 times
The area between Univ. and Uptown is perhaps one of the worst/roughest areas. If you are working at CMC Main, I beleive that is South of the city which is a lot nicer place to live. Why not live there? Price might be a little above your range though....

Old 12-12-2008, 02:50 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,435,643 times
As stated, there's nothing too nice between the two areas. Remember, there is a CATS Express bus that runs from the park and ride at Mallard Creek and WT Harris to the uptown area. Granted, not near CMC Main, but I bet you can hop on a connecting bus to the hospital. That is, of course, if transit interests you. I highly recommend it if you can make it work to get you to CMC.

I don't have any experience with apartments in the University Area...only neighborhoods. While the area's namesake (UNCC) is in fact nearby and the potential for college kids is high, there are several apartments that I've seen in the area that are largely a "professional" group of folks that work at Wachovia and other research park areas. In other words, non-UNCC kids.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:02 PM

327 posts, read 1,191,807 times
I lived at the Ivy Meadow apartments shortly after they opened, maybe 2002 or so. The apartments were very nice and staff was accomodating. There was not an overabundance of students in these apartments, as I think they were probably a little to costly for students. I liked the apartments just fine with 2 exceptions: 1) they are very close to the train tracks that parallel Old Concrod. When we first moved in, the train woke me up every night at 2:00 am. After a couple of weeks it didn't phase me anymore and I slept right through it. 2) my Jeep was stolen from the parking lot directly in front of our apartment. I suspect the thief broke the window as the train went by to cover up the noise. I ended up getting it back several weeks later.

All in all, I thought they were nice apartments and that the stolen car issue was probably an isolated incident. Although, its been several years since we lived there, so I'm, not sure if things have changed.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:10 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,195,016 times
I assume by university area, you really mean Harris Blvd. Really you will be ok. I used to live there. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:13 PM

33 posts, read 100,760 times
I would like to thank everyone that responded to my question. Especially the person that said "Pick one or the other...". I guess I will just stick to looking in the University area. I found another brand new complex called "Phillips at University Center" that I am going to take a look at. These boards have really helped me alot.

Thanks Again

Old 12-13-2008, 01:20 PM

1,894 posts, read 6,435,643 times
While I can't offer advice on specific complexes here in town, I have apartment hunted several times in FL. I highly recommend walking the complex without a guide from the office to get a feel for the people there and maybe even the noise levels. Go on a Saturday evening or something.

And don't forget the police crime mapping system. It'll show you how many and what type of calls they get from any area within Meck County. http://maps.cmpdweb.org/cmpdnet/agreement.aspx?ref=map (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte