Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:47 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
ROFL...how true...

in the meantime that crab mushroom recipe would be great
It's my sisters recipe so I will have to get it from her and then I will get it to you. It might take a little while but I will get it to you. There will most likely be no measurements just ingredients (that's how we cook, sorry)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 03:48 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
ahh no problem, Im sure I can figure it out!!! thank you as I do appreciate it

Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
Growing up, all of the cousins, aunts & uncles would gather at one of my grandparent's houses on Christmas Eve. The kids would decorate the tree, and when it was finished, everyone would gather around the tree and sing Norwegian songs & Christmas carols. We had a light supper, opened presents and then left for the OTHER grandma's house. That was mostly for the adults. Later,we would go home and open all of the gifts. By this time, it really was Christmas morning...probably 1 or 2 am. Everyone would go to bed afterwards and then Christmas day was just recovering from it all! (especially the adults)

Old 12-16-2008, 08:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Growing up, all of the cousins, aunts & uncles would gather at one of my grandparent's houses on Christmas Eve. The kids would decorate the tree, and when it was finished, everyone would gather around the tree and sing Norwegian songs & Christmas carols. We had a light supper, opened presents and then left for the OTHER grandma's house. That was mostly for the adults. Later,we would go home and open all of the gifts. By this time, it really was Christmas morning...probably 1 or 2 am. Everyone would go to bed afterwards and then Christmas day was just recovering from it all! (especially the adults)
Wow, CHI! You really are Norwegian! I had wondered after you posted the Christmas pictures of folk dress . . . but then I thought - well, maybe this was a "Christmas Around the World" type of gathering . . . How neat to be so connected to your roots! A Southerner can really appreciate that!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wow, CHI! You really are Norwegian! I had wondered after you posted the Christmas pictures of folk dress . . . but then I thought - well, maybe this was a "Christmas Around the World" type of gathering . . . How neat to be so connected to your roots! A Southerner can really appreciate that!!!
Yes, my grandmother actually came to this country from Norway. She was about 14-15 and came as a servant. Her father had made the trip a few years before and was lost at sea. (so, imagine her courage to get on a boat to come here alone!) She came to work and send the money home to her family. She was originally only supposed to be here for a year or so, but, met my grandfather (a first generation Irish immigrant) and, ended up staying.

Grandma did not talk much about coming here nor a lot about her life there. She did, however, always talk about how difficult it was for her when she got here as she did not know the language nor the culture...nothing about this country. And, she was alone. She inspired me to always be an advocate for the immigrant, to learn about other countries & cultures and that is my passion to this day.

Unfortunately, she died when I was about 12 and all of the other members of that side of the family have also died, except for one. So, now that I am older and really want to know more about my heritage, it is a little difficult. I am learning things a little bit at a time and have joined a club, Sons of Norway, to learn more. That was how I got to the Christmas party.

OH! and something to just garner a response: Grandma was an illegal alien. (true story) So, I really cannot say anything about the illegal alien controversy that is here today.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 AM

That is a wonderful story, CHI!!!

The situation w/ emigration to the USA during the 19th and early 20th Century is not comparable to our situation today as far as economic impact (overall) throughout the country. Nearly half of the non-citizens here today are using some form of government assistance (welfare) . . . whereas earlier emigrants came here and established themselves in communities, where they contributed to the economy (regardless of whether they were legally here or not).

Energy of a Nation: Immigration Resources - Waves of Norwegian Immigrants

excerpt:

When the Norwegians emigrated to the U.S. during the 1800s, they brought their traditions with them. One of these traditions was farming. Many Norwegian immigrants made a living as farmers, growing such crops as wheat and corn and raising cattle and hogs. In 1900, nearly 54 percent of Norwegian children came from farming families. It was also common for other Norwegian and Scandinavian men to work in the construction, logging, and shipping industries. While the men worked in physical occupations, women at the time, worked as domestic or personal servants.

Many of these newcomers went on to establish their own farms . . . and raise families that continued that tradition, into the 20th Century.

ETA: Meant to add . . . Norwegians helped establish Lutheran communities, especially throughout the upper midwest. So wondered if your family had remained Lutheran through the years?

Old 12-17-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is a wonderful story, CHI!!!

The situation w/ emigration to the USA during the 19th and early 20th Century is not comparable to our situation today as far as economic impact (overall) throughout the country. Nearly half of the non-citizens here today are using some form of government assistance (welfare) . . . whereas earlier emigrants came here and established themselves in communities, where they contributed to the economy (regardless of whether they were legally here or not).

Energy of a Nation: Immigration Resources - Waves of Norwegian Immigrants

excerpt:

When the Norwegians emigrated to the U.S. during the 1800s, they brought their traditions with them. One of these traditions was farming. Many Norwegian immigrants made a living as farmers, growing such crops as wheat and corn and raising cattle and hogs. In 1900, nearly 54 percent of Norwegian children came from farming families. It was also common for other Norwegian and Scandinavian men to work in the construction, logging, and shipping industries. While the men worked in physical occupations, women at the time, worked as domestic or personal servants.

Many of these newcomers went on to establish their own farms . . . and raise families that continued that tradition, into the 20th Century.

ETA: Meant to add . . . Norwegians helped establish Lutheran communities, especially throughout the upper midwest. So wondered if your family had remained Lutheran through the years?
OH YES. another reason for my "disown-ment" When I moved south, could not find the "proper" Lutheran church...(long story), so, I just settled in on a non-denominational church, where I am today. That horrified the family who, following Grandma's tradition, are all staunch Lutherans today.

Although living in Chicago, Grandma did not farm... , she was very handy with the garden and always had lots of plants and things...planted the Christmas tree every year, don't know how she did it, but, it grew!! Her family did come from a dairy farm on a fijord (mountain).

Great link, Ani. Just sent it to my cousins! thanks!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
OH YES. another reason for my "disown-ment" When I moved south, could not find the "proper" Lutheran church...(long story), so, I just settled in on a non-denominational church, where I am today. That horrified the family who, following Grandma's tradition, are all staunch Lutherans today.

Although living in Chicago, Grandma did not farm... , she was very handy with the garden and always had lots of plants and things...planted the Christmas tree every year, don't know how she did it, but, it grew!! Her family did come from a dairy farm on a fijord (mountain).

Great link, Ani. Just sent it to my cousins! thanks!
The "dis-ownment" thing is not unusual!!! My DH's family has an interesting background. His GGGrandfather came here w/ the group that established what would become the Missouri Lutheran Church. The entire group were Germans, who did not speak English, and who established their community S of St. Louis (Perry CO). DH's dad then married a Catholic, whose ancestors were original settles in the Maryland Colonies (St. Mary's Parish, Rockville). DH's g/parents did not speak to their son for years . . . So it happens.

What is so ridiculous . . . Lutherans and Catholics today espouse nearly identical theology and the church services in both denominations are liturgically so similar . . . it seems absurd that small differences in religious expression could tear a family apart.

And to get it back to Christmas and Hanukkah traditions . . . if you walk into a Christmas Eve service at a Catholic or Lutheran Church, you would not be able to tell the difference by what you see or hear as far as the service itself.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:01 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Yes, my grandmother actually came to this country from Norway. She was about 14-15 and came as a servant. Her father had made the trip a few years before and was lost at sea. (so, imagine her courage to get on a boat to come here alone!) She came to work and send the money home to her family. She was originally only supposed to be here for a year or so, but, met my grandfather (a first generation Irish immigrant) and, ended up staying.

Grandma did not talk much about coming here nor a lot about her life there. She did, however, always talk about how difficult it was for her when she got here as she did not know the language nor the culture...nothing about this country. And, she was alone. She inspired me to always be an advocate for the immigrant, to learn about other countries & cultures and that is my passion to this day.

Unfortunately, she died when I was about 12 and all of the other members of that side of the family have also died, except for one. So, now that I am older and really want to know more about my heritage, it is a little difficult. I am learning things a little bit at a time and have joined a club, Sons of Norway, to learn more. That was how I got to the Christmas party.

OH! and something to just garner a response: Grandma was an illegal alien. (true story) So, I really cannot say anything about the illegal alien controversy that is here today.
If you want to trace your family in Norway, I think that I can help you.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If you want to trace your family in Norway, I think that I can help you.
WOW! that would be great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte