Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte: infrastructure, college, graduate, racism information, education.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:50 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,319,207 times

Advertisements

I am glad to see the discussion get to this point. Some of the post were really annoying me ways I think only a few on this thread can understand. I remember reading on this thread about prostitution ring being busted and the leaders were white. I remember reading how prostitution was a public health problem and violence was I guess something else. I'm sure I will be corrected (as is the custom of this forum when someone is 1% off) but how is violence not a public health problem since it is a threat to the physical health of the public?

That being said let's address violence and crime in the BLACK community as if it were a public health problem. The first things we need to address is what is contributing to these problems. Someone already pointed out the urban economics in the Black urban community. Another problem is music that edifies violent thuggish activities. As a black male when I bring this up I don't get alot of popularity, but some of the music that is out here, put out by millionares from the "hood", glorifies illegal activities that they did to make fast money and multi-platinum selling CDs bragging about how they did. A faous line is "... I am an example that crime do pay..." I could go on but I'll stop there.

Am I saying music is the sole source. NO. But I am saying some of the music encourages them to commit some acts. The problem, though, is addressing the public in how to stop supporting such music that is degrading the Black community. As long as people keep buying it, it will continue to be made.

Education is good, but to some from this lifestyle that is slow money and they don't see the point. Graduating high school, going to college, and then to grad school, takes some time. When you're 14 years old, watching your single mother struggle and you watch your little siblings hunger, and y'all live in sub-par housing, you really just want some aid immediately! The usual route doesn't seem applicable. Now I know that this may not be general setting or circumstance for all situations but I believe it gives insight to why such "thugs" exist. I believe I am getting too long. But I hope this opens up the complexity of the issue of why "uncontrolled youth/Blacks" are "terrorizing" Charlotte.

Ultimately, youth need someone to look to as an example that they don't need to resort to such means in order to make it. What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 04:47 AM

7,080 posts, read 12,369,581 times
Wow!!! This thread has taken quite a tangent LOL!!! Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Charlotte's biggest future obstacle will be uniting our diverse city. Charlotte's black and hispanic population is nearly 45% of Charlotte!!! Our city has NEVER been this diverse before and the diversity is growing fast!!!

We still have a large group of Charlotteans that are just out of touch with 45% of Charlotte. It is time for Charlotte to integrate because the last thing we need is for Charlotte to be 2 million strong, 40% white and 55% black/hispanic, and still segregated like it is today. Trust me folks, infrastructure has NOTHING on uniting Charlotte's races and classes.

Detroit is a city that comes to mind. Detroit has the BEST infrastructure of any city its size when it comes to roads. It also has some of the World's largest companies HQed in town. These companies are struggling, but they are doing much better than Wachovia!!! With all of these great things in Detroit, why is this city doing so poorly? Actually, it is doing worse than just about ANY other US city. Could it be the weather? Could it be Canada's fault? Is it the state of Michigan? Or is it simply the fact that the city failed to integrate its races and classes and now Detroit is a city that is 80% black. Many of these blacks are poor. The whites (with money) have all moved out of Detroit's city limits because a city full of blacks scared the bejeezus out of them LOL!!!

Charlotte could easily be Detroit if we continue to ignore the importance of integration. Again, we need to integrate our races and classes. Charlotte is in a great position. THE MAJORITY OF CHARLOTTE IS EDUCATED AND LAWFUL!!! Criminals are still a small % of Charlotte. It is simple folks. INTEGRATE these small pockets of "wickedness" with the rest of us. If we don't, these small pockets will grow and become large vast areas of sin. People with money (mostly whites) will choose to live as far away from these areas as possible. After about 20 years of these pockets growing and scared whites (with money) fleeing, Charlotte would become a "southern Detroit".

How do we integrate Charlotte's race and class you might ask? Simple!!! We make integration the law of the land. This is how you undo the ugly side effects of centuries of forced segregation. That's right folks. The "black community" in the new state of Carolina will exist everywhere. We have affirmative action and bussing. It is time now for neighborhood integration. This way whites and blacks will grow up TOGETHER on the same streets!!! Racism (and the notion of racial supremacy) would die. I say good riddance to both!!!

Here is the plan. Every 2-5 sq/miles (walking distance) of this "new Charlotte" must contain no less than 25% blacks, 5% hispanics, and 50% white. Neighborhoods can not exceed 60% white, 40% black, or 15% hispanic. All neighborhoods should have 20% low income housing available. YES, millionares will live only walking distance from the poor folks. NYC millionares have been doing this for years. Get used to it Charlotte!!! As Charlotte's racial make up changes, the numbers should be amended to keep things even across the entire city. This integration of race and class won't cause ANY PROBLEMS because ANY person that even attempts to harm a neighbor will be jailed without warning or question. That rule applies to ALL races and classes in the new Charlotte.

My plan will NOT work in a city like Detroit because that city has been taken over by crime. Detroit needs to bring in newcomers with money first, then integrate them with the current population. Charlotte does not have to bring in the newcomers with money. Charlotte is already doing that. We are failing to integrate them into the "original city limits" of Charlotte where many poor folks (many of them black) live. Many newcomers are moving to areas of Charlotte that were farms twenty years ago. It is like the "original city" of Charlotte has not seen any change at all. The blacks in central Charlotte are still poor and still reside in central Charlotte. Where is their nearest grocery store? Where is their "Ballantyne village"? Where is their nearest doctor's office or hospital? Where is their new urban shopping district with the movie theater and urban styled condos on top of shops? If 45% of Charlotte continues to get ignored, Charlotte losses!!!

Old 12-27-2008, 05:53 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,419,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Here is the plan. Every 2-5 sq/miles (walking distance) of this "new Charlotte" must contain no less than 25% blacks, 5% hispanics, and 50% white. Neighborhoods can not exceed 60% white, 40% black, or 15% hispanic. All neighborhoods should have 20% low income housing available. YES, millionares will live only walking distance from the poor folks. NYC millionares have been doing this for years. Get used to it Charlotte!!! As Charlotte's racial make up changes, the numbers should be amended to keep things even across the entire city. This integration of race and class won't cause ANY PROBLEMS because ANY person that even attempts to harm a neighbor will be jailed without warning or question. That rule applies to ALL races and classes in the new Charlotte.

My plan will NOT work in a city like Detroit because that city has been taken over by crime. Detroit needs to bring in newcomers with money first, then integrate them with the current population. Charlotte does not have to bring in the newcomers with money. Charlotte is already doing that. We are failing to integrate them into the "original city limits" of Charlotte where many poor folks (many of them black) live. Many newcomers are moving to areas of Charlotte that were farms twenty years ago. It is like the "original city" of Charlotte has not seen any change at all. The blacks in central Charlotte are still poor and still reside in central Charlotte. Where is their nearest grocery store? Where is their "Ballantyne village"? Where is their nearest doctor's office or hospital? Where is their new urban shopping district with the movie theater and urban styled condos on top of shops? If 45% of Charlotte continues to get ignored, Charlotte losses!!!

Your plan will not work in any city. Just the sheer idea of legislating thought by forcing races to live with one another is absolutely frightening alone. The rest of it resides in some netherworld fantasy land that exists only in children's books. Of course your plan leaves out the orientals, the hindus, and other races that don't matter as well, showing it's idealistic but not really thought out.

Why is it that this has to be forced? Why can't people just choose to live with the class of people they want to live with? Do you know how many posts by black people we've seen on here looking for information on where to live within a black community? Why don't you step into those threads, as a black man, and urge them to live within a white community? If I want to live in a mostly white community, I want that option. Don't force me to live within a black community or a community that might not be divided up in the way I'd like to see it. If a millionaire of any race wants to live within a community that he can relate to, if his reason is hate or just a preference to live in a community more attuned with his culture (or even just a community that's more affluent in general), then that person should have that option.

Have you given any thought to the notion that maybe much of the black community doesn't want to be integrated into a whiter community? I'll guarantee you...GUARANTEE YOU...that if blacks and whites had the same levels of success and money that they would still wind up being somewhat self segregated from one another. And you know what? As long as nobody's getting hurt there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. And I might even go so far as to guarantee you that with your idea the problems will actually increase.

And this whole idea of, "nobody wins unless everyone wins" is just sheer bull***t. The blacks are still poor and reside in central Charotte...where is their Ballantyne Village or urban shopping district... WELL DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!! Your answer in the past was this ridiculous notion it has to be white people with money working within the black community (that kind of leaves me out as far as the money part goes these days so I guess that onus is temporarily off of me). What about white people who live in trailer parks out in the boondocks? How about their close doctor, hospital, or "Ballantyne Village"?

Just no personal responsibility or accountability...disgusting... It always has to be someone else helping those who won't do for themselves. Where's there's...where's this person's...where's that person's...

And in case metro.m wants to stick his head into this one, there's an enormous difference between "racial" and "racist". If you want to fling the "racist" comment my way, go ahead. It really doesn't phase me in the least. That comment's been thrown around the wrong way sooooo much that it's effect has quickly been watered down for me.

If you can believe it, I'm actually in a really good mood this morning.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:54 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,722,146 times
Quote:

How do we integrate Charlotte's race and class you might ask? Simple!!! We make integration the law of the land.
Very flawed idea I must say.
1) We have more laws now than we could possibly use and
2) A passage from the Bible that I live by in situations such as what you propose:"The letter Killeth but the Spirit Givith Life" 2 Cor. 3:6

You don't need a pc. of paper (law) to do what is right, you need "the spirit".

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-27-2008 at 07:05 AM.. Reason: fix the quote

Old 12-27-2008, 07:01 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,419,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Very flawed idea I must say.

It's also insanely flawed in that once some sort of a "race quota" was filled (neighborhoods cannot exceed a certain percentage of blacks, a certain percentage of whites..), someone from some race would wind up being excluded...essentially creating a victim of his or her own race. You know...there's space in this town, I'm white, yet because we've hit the 60% quota I'm out. I'm sure that would do wonders for race relations.

It's too flawed to even "lol" at.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:34 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,057,738 times
Actually, there was such a thing back in the day. It was called redlining and was outlawed.

Urban, I understand what you mean and I wish that it could be so. However, legislating integration never works, look at the schools. Quite honestly, what is needed is education. People need to work to get along no matter what someone's race, ethnic background, etc. And, until the hearts of those people can be changed; the actual behaviours will not be. Sad to say. So, the prayer would be that people would work to get along rather than divide themselves. Once that is accomplished, all else will fall into place.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:57 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,553,869 times
Quote:
Wow!!! This thread has taken quite a tangent LOL!!! Well, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Charlotte's biggest future obstacle will be uniting our diverse city. Charlotte's black and hispanic population is nearly 45% of Charlotte!!! Our city has NEVER been this diverse before and the diversity is growing fast!!!

We still have a large group of Charlotteans that are just out of touch with 45% of Charlotte. It is time for Charlotte to integrate because the last thing we need is for Charlotte to be 2 million strong, 40% white and 55% black/hispanic, and still segregated like it is today. Trust me folks, infrastructure has NOTHING on uniting Charlotte's races and classes.

Detroit is a city that comes to mind. Detroit has the BEST infrastructure of any city its size when it comes to roads. It also has some of the World's largest companies HQed in town. These companies are struggling, but they are doing much better than Wachovia!!! With all of these great things in Detroit, why is this city doing so poorly? Actually, it is doing worse than just about ANY other US city. Could it be the weather? Could it be Canada's fault? Is it the state of Michigan? Or is it simply the fact that the city failed to integrate its races and classes and now Detroit is a city that is 80% black. Many of these blacks are poor. The whites (with money) have all moved out of Detroit's city limits because a city full of blacks scared the bejeezus out of them LOL!!!

Charlotte could easily be Detroit if we continue to ignore the importance of integration. Again, we need to integrate our races and classes. Charlotte is in a great position. THE MAJORITY OF CHARLOTTE IS EDUCATED AND LAWFUL!!! Criminals are still a small % of Charlotte. It is simple folks. INTEGRATE these small pockets of "wickedness" with the rest of us. If we don't, these small pockets will grow and become large vast areas of sin. People with money (mostly whites) will choose to live as far away from these areas as possible. After about 20 years of these pockets growing and scared whites (with money) fleeing, Charlotte would become a "southern Detroit".

How do we integrate Charlotte's race and class you might ask? Simple!!! We make integration the law of the land. This is how you undo the ugly side effects of centuries of forced segregation. That's right folks. The "black community" in the new state of Carolina will exist everywhere. We have affirmative action and bussing. It is time now for neighborhood integration. This way whites and blacks will grow up TOGETHER on the same streets!!! Racism (and the notion of racial supremacy) would die. I say good riddance to both!!!

Hmm, this I have to say with all due respect is very very VERY left field. The original idea behind integration was access to resources regardless of color- and in the old jim crow south this wasn't possible. It's a different day and anyone can access whatever resources they want in most major cities in the carolinas as long as you can pay to play.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:54 AM

7,080 posts, read 12,369,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Hmm, this I have to say with all due respect is very very VERY left field. The original idea behind integration was access to resources regardless of color- and in the old jim crow south this wasn't possible. It's a different day and anyone can access whatever resources they want in most major cities in the carolinas as long as you can pay to play.
I know this sounds crazy to many folks, but how did Charlotte get to this point? We got here with laws that forced the races (whites/blacks) to segregate. Now when someone suggest forcing the races and classes to integrate, he is crazy LOL!!!

I understand we "should" allow folks to make their own choice, but unfortunately most folks choose to be "with their own". As a result, white communities develop a certain way with certain morals and ideas. Black communities develop a different way with different morals than white communities. Neither community ever quite learn to understand and RESPECT the other community. The bottom line is "freedom of choice" has failed. PERIOD!!! Now it is time to bring race and class together once and for all. I mentioned only white/blacks/hispanics because all other races in Charlotte's case make up less than 7% of this city. It is not that other races don't count. They are just too small of a % of Charlotte to change this city much. That is why Charlotte must focus on whites/blacks/hispanics.

Conflict will occur in a society that is forced to integrate; which only shows just how much hatred and racism that community already had from the start. After the "smoke settles", we would have a city where kids of all class and race grew up together. Those white kids are not gonna freakout or roll their eyes when they are approached by a large group of blacks in public. Those black kids are not going to get ticked off if white kids use slang or wear their clothes the way that some blacks are known for wearing. Hispanic children will grow up feeling that they are NOT an immigrant and will be raised on the morals and standards of America and not some predominantly hispanic neighborhood on American soil.

What I am suggesting is something few folks (regardless of race) would EVER agree with. True integration of class and race is a scary thing in America. We are just too segregated and we tend to like it that way. So from now on, when you find yourself disgusted at the actions of a race of people other than yourself. Then you find yourself asking the question "Why can't these folks be like us and fix themselves?". Well here is your answer. They were separated from "us" by laws (not too long ago) and now we ALL choose to stay separated. Separate is never (nor will ever be) equal.

Understand folks, my household is a living example of true integration (black guy, white girl, bi-racial child). Our president is also a living example of true integration. True integration needs to be the law in the American South because we are a region that has been held back due to segregation and slave laws. The reason why bussing and affirmative action is NOT working is because we all go home to "our own". We have family reunions with "our own". We go to church with "our own". Why can't "our own" be all races and class within Charlotte huh? Think about it folks. Would a law that forces race and class to integrate with the hopes that racism and snobery will die be something that Jesus approves of? I think so. Isn't this a bible belt community? I thought so. But that's the funny thing about the "bible belt". Many holier-than-thou bible toting hypocrites are so full of hatred that they tend to think their hatred was given to them by God himself.

Oh well. I guess NOTHING will ever change. I say keep Charlotte in NC. It is obvious that most of our problems are home grown. That's kinda why Meck DID NOT vote for Pat. Nuff said!!!

Old 12-27-2008, 01:28 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,679,312 times
Quote:
I know this sounds crazy to many folks, but how did Charlotte get to this point? We got here with laws that forced the races (whites/blacks) to segregate. Now when someone suggest forcing the races and classes to integrate, he is crazy LOL!!!

I understand we "should" allow folks to make their own choice, but unfortunately most folks choose to be "with their own". As a result, white communities develop a certain way with certain morals and ideas. Black communities develop a different way with different morals than white communities. Neither community ever quite learn to understand and RESPECT the other community. The bottom line is "freedom of choice" has failed. PERIOD!!! Now it is time to bring race and class together once and for all. I mentioned only white/blacks/hispanics because all other races in Charlotte's case make up less than 7% of this city. It is not that other races don't count. They are just too small of a % of Charlotte to change this city much. That is why Charlotte must focus on whites/blacks/hispanics.

Conflict will occur in a society that is forced to integrate; which only shows just how much hatred and racism that community already had from the start. After the "smoke settles", we would have a city where kids of all class and race grew up together. Those white kids are not gonna freakout or roll their eyes when they are approached by a large group of blacks in public. Those black kids are not going to get ticked off if white kids use slang or wear their clothes the way that some blacks are known for wearing. Hispanic children will grow up feeling that they are NOT an immigrant and will be raised on the morals and standards of America and not some predominantly hispanic neighborhood on American soil.

What I am suggesting is something few folks (regardless of race) would EVER agree with. True integration of class and race is a scary thing in America. We are just too segregated and we tend to like it that way. So from now on, when you find yourself disgusted at the actions of a race of people other than yourself. Then you find yourself asking the question "Why can't these folks be like us and fix themselves?". Well here is your answer. They were separated from "us" by laws (not too long ago) and now we ALL choose to stay separated. Separate is never (nor will ever be) equal.

Understand folks, my household is a living example of true integration (black guy, white girl, bi-racial child). Our president is also a living example of true integration. True integration needs to be the law in the American South because we are a region that has been held back due to segregation and slave laws. The reason why bussing and affirmative action is NOT working is because we all go home to "our own". We have family reunions with "our own". We go to church with "our own". Why can't "our own" be all races and class within Charlotte huh? Think about it folks. Would a law that forces race and class to integrate with the hopes that racism and snobery will die be something that Jesus approves of? I think so. Isn't this a bible belt community? I thought so. But that's the funny thing about the "bible belt". Many holier-than-thou bible toting hypocrites are so full of hatred that they tend to think their hatred was given to them by God himself.

Oh well. I guess NOTHING will ever change. I say keep Charlotte in NC. It is obvious that most of our problems are home grown. That's kinda why Meck DID NOT vote for Pat. Nuff said!!!

No disrespect, but the sounds ridiculous on so many levels.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,839,534 times
Quote:

You know, I really like you urban, you seem like a nice, intelligent young man in many of your posts - but you are so buried down in the trees you are missing the rest of the forest.

You are also exhausting to read at this point, lol. How you can say NOTHING will ever change when this country just elected its first black president is beyond me. Things are changing ALL THE TIME. OPEN YOUR EYES, the world is not as grim as you apparently think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte