U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 05:28 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,455,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Evidently your pet isnt in the system. The animal control cops DO have the power to arrest people and will if you refuse to pay.
We keep them current on all of their shots and every year we get a form from the vet to send in, but I just ignore it. I think the animal cops probably have more important things to do than to lock me up over $30. Time will tell, I suppose!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 06:38 PM

8 posts, read 27,403 times
Quote:
Evidently your pet isnt in the system. The animal control cops DO have the power to arrest people and will if you refuse to pay.
Haven't paid yet...still...received nothing since.

Would like to see some evidence or something concerning Animal Control arresting people for not paying this license fee. Sounds like more FUD to me.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:21 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,186,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strike View Post
Haven't paid yet...still...received nothing since.

Would like to see some evidence or something concerning Animal Control arresting people for not paying this license fee. Sounds like more FUD to me.
My wife got an official notice in the mail. It had the officiers name who was giving her the unannounced citation and a 50 buck penalty box checked saying failure to pay the 50 dollars could result in her arrest . It looked a little like a traffic citation . I read the darn thing and she went ahead and sent in the fine. I may add that this cat with no license was given its rabies shot at the special free shot day held by the city animal control at their pound. Thats where they got the owners name and address I guess..Since then we get our other animals their shots at the humane shelter. I dont know what FUD means but the same to you.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 AM

Quote:
My wife got an official notice in the mail. It had the officiers name who was giving her the unannounced citation and a 50 buck penalty box checked saying failure to pay the 50 dollars could result in her arrest . It looked a little like a traffic citation . I read the darn thing and she went ahead and sent in the fine. I may add that this cat with no license was given its rabies shot at the special free shot day held by the city animal control at their pound. Thats where they got the owners name and address I guess..Since then we get our other animals their shots at the humane shelter. I dont know what FUD means but the same to you.
if you don't know what it means, then perhaps before you assume it means something negative directed at you, do a search next time

FUD = fear, uncertainty, doubt
Fear, uncertainty and doubt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ie, whatever lead you to believe you could be arrested, is a tactic of theirs to instill fear, uncertainty, and doubt in you to get you to pay the license fee

Old 05-19-2011, 06:45 AM

163 posts, read 428,147 times
we moved here almost 2 years ago and adopted a kitten from the pound after we had been here for 2 weeks. (We brought 2 cats with us to NC.) The pound asked if we rent or own and if we had any other pets. We told them that yes, we had other pets and they were current on their rabies shots. They required proof of rabies shots before we could leave with the kitten.

Fast forward a year.

Got a post card for the cats that we brought here, informing me that their rabies shots are due. I ignored it. All the cats are 100% indoor.

Two months later (not sure of time frame)- another postcard that I ignored.

Another post card received- and ignored.

Then we got a phone call. If we didn't take the cats to the vet to get their rabies shots updated, "they" have the authority to confiscate OUR cats, take them to the pound and adopt them to another family. (The week before we had just taken my 17 year old cat to be put to sleep.) We got the other 2 cats shots updated and paid all the fines incurred.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenew View Post
Then we got a phone call. If we didn't take the cats to the vet to get their rabies shots updated, "they" have the authority to confiscate OUR cats, take them to the pound and adopt them to another family.
Was this an automated call, or was there a live person?
Exactly...who is "they?"

I still hold this is nothing more than FUD.
And to Nativechief, you stated they WILL arrest you...but you stated the card said they "could." Which is what I recall.

Will is not the same as could.
- You could win the lottery.
- You could get hit by a bus.
- You could get attacked by hackers if you use anything other than Windows.
- You could have your pet confiscated by them if you don't pay fees to a PO box in Texas.

FUD is a strong strategy that pulls on your emotions...and in many works...just look at how often it is used in everything from advertising to politics.

Until I see some evidence of what Charlotte Mecklenburg Animal Control WILL do if these fees are not paid, I for one will continue to not pay them. I don't believe in them, and have issues with how they are being managed. And, to date, nothing has happened for going on 2 years now.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 AM

163 posts, read 428,147 times
it was a live person that my husband talked to. And it was animal control (outsourced to irving tx) on behalf of CMPD/animal control that stated that they would confiscate our cats.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenew View Post
it was a live person that my husband talked to. And it was animal control (outsourced to irving tx) on behalf of CMPD/animal control that stated that they would confiscate our cats.
so was still PetData...not Animal Control...and all they were doing was dropping names.....pure FUD!

I just highly doubt CMPD either has the manpower or desire to go around and arrest people for not paying a license fee for Snowball.

As far as confiscating...again, I suspect Animal Control has better things to do...doubtful they are going to come to your house (with a warrant), to confiscate Snowball.

I am not really against paying a small license fee...just the way they started out with very non-descript post cards asking for $$ to be sent to a PO Box in Texas, and are now handling this I find very heavy-handed, and not honest. Saying you would be arrested and your pet taken from you, when most likely that would NEVER happen, just rubs me the wrong way.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:29 PM

5 posts, read 10,972 times
Just to keep this post going.
I just adopted a kitten from the shelter a couple of weeks ago. When they told me I had to pay to register the cat I was like, WTC? It will be an indoor cat, has its rabies shots and a tag proving that, what else do they want? I don't plan on paying the registration fee. Especially now that I know it is outsourced to some company in TX. The county probably only gets $1 after the company charges its fees. Not going to be worth it for police to enforce this.
I was thinking I would just tell them the Cat is deceased. What are they going to do? Show up at my door to confirm? There is no death certificate for animals.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:49 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,347,281 times
Same story with me.

We have been getting harassing phone calls and postcards in the mail about pet licensing. They claim to be official from CMPD but if you dig a little deeper you will see they are coming from Petdata.

I think this would make a great investigative news story. Little old lady gets threatening phone calls claiming to be from CMPD about her cats license. She is scared and confused. The investigative team finds out the calls are really from a for-profit company from Texas. City gets blamed for working with a company using scare tactics against its citizens.....

Can anyone find a little old lady with cats for us to give to the news people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte