U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:00 PM

236 posts, read 764,475 times

Advertisements

my company is offering us sweet sprint deals if we switch.
question...how's coverage in charlotte. i was with sprint over 6 years ago and coverage sucked.

comments on sprint anyone
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 03:10 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,620,438 times
it sure beats the heck out of AT&T, I'll say that much.

I was with Sprint for almost 10 years before I switched to AT&T 'cause of that danged ole' iPhone... Love the phone, hate the provider. Would do anything to have my iPhone with Sprint or Verizon...

I was always very happy with my Sprint coverage and call quality... it's their customer service that is the suck.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:16 PM

370 posts, read 700,302 times
Their customer service is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bad, I finally switched. My coverage was fine, but I always had issues with them changing my plan without asking and 'magically' my bill would increase and they would have to credit me. Month after month after month, it got old. I have had Verizon for close to 4 years now and have been happy them.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM

236 posts, read 764,475 times
As you comment, would you also mention what side of town you're on. As coverage varies from area to area

Old 01-07-2009, 03:40 PM

11,838 posts, read 26,901,200 times
I've been with Sprint for 9 years. No issues with coverage in the city. A few dead spots here & there in SC. No issues with their customer service department either.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:12 PM

3,774 posts, read 7,620,438 times
Sprint is second to none except *maybe* Verizon when it comes to coverage around here.

Now the customer service is another matter...

Old 01-07-2009, 05:49 PM

140 posts, read 300,783 times
Sprint IMHO has one the best coverages not just here but anywhere in the country. I had Sprint here in Charlotte back in 2002 and it was the best coverage I ever had, even when I traveled to places like Vegas, New Mexico, Utah, etc. However their customer service is the absolute WORST IN THE WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD!!!!!
I do not have enough words to describe how bad it is, and trust me I tried several times to give them the benefit of the doubt and thought perhaps it was my luck and dealt with a disgruntled employee but it always, ALWAYS SUCKED!!!
I was getting overcharged for ghost minutes left and right, esp during the am when I was at my office always using the telephone there instead of my cell, it was a monthly ritual to call their customer service and granted they would fix the error it was painful experience -calls will last minimum a entire hour and they even wanted to charge me for it!!!!!-
When I finally got fed up I decided to terminate my contract no matter how much was going to cost me, so their rep (over the phone) charged me about $150 from what I recall and then he himself realized he had charged me $50 too much. Obviously I was expecting for him to say that I was going to be refunded in some form but he said since it was "already processed" there was no way back. Ultimately I would have paid $500 to run away from them but the last straw was when at the end of the call the same rep went through the routine and asked me WHY I WAS LEAVING THEM??!!!

As you can tell I remember this experience even though it occurred 7 years ago. A few years back I was laid off and looked for any job and went to one of the Sprint call centers here in Charlotte (SC maybe I can not recall well) and it was by far the most UNPROFESSIONAL environment I have ever witnessed. Employees with their feet on their cubes, wearing pajamas almost, playing music, arcade machines, it was almost surreal, and could not help but thinking no wonder their customer service stinks. I even had bad customer service when going to the stores in person. I remembered once I went to get some bagels one Sat am and stopped by to make a payment since it was next door, they were supposed to open the store at 10am and it was like 10:20am and the employees were sharing a few giggles inside chatting not even acknowledging any of the about 10 people waiting outside, all of them complaining about the horrible experiences they had with Sprint.

When they merged with Nextel I thought there was a chance for change into the right direction but Sprint's culture prevailed -unfortunately- and it's very well known their horrendous customer service is almost patented. I simply can not understand how leadership is so useless they can not fix this after years of bad feedback. Consumer Reports also has Sprint rated the lowest (for like 8 years in a row) in almost every single market in the country (Verizon is tops and with good reason).

I have Verizon now and although their coverage is pretty good; 10,000 times better than ATT. When I lived in NJ/NY Verizon and T-Mobile were by far the best and ATT was the worst ever. I can not tell you ho frustrating was my pct of dropped calls (that caused me several embarrasing moments with many clients and you know up there there's less patience than here) and even more so to watch their flat out lies TV commercial about more bars, blah, blah, blah.
Verizon's customer service is one of the best of any company -not just cell providers- I ever had.

In a nutshell go with Verizon, their only drawback could be their phone repertoire; otherwise try Alltel or T-Mobile.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:06 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,851,692 times
I have been with Sprint for 10 years. I would switch, but when I called to cancel they offered me a 50% off deal permanently! Their deal can't be beat, so I will stay with them for now.

I have no real complaints other than the mountain coverage. I went up to Blowing Rock and got no coverage at all. It wouldn't have been a huge issue, but my friend said to call her when I go into Blowing Rock and she would meet me and lead me up to the cabin.

I ended up having to pull over in the rain at a gas station and spend over $1 to call her since she had a Charlotte cell (with Verizon). Thankfully I had change.

dawn

Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 PM

9,115 posts, read 16,645,427 times
From the short time I used sprint in CHarlotte (1 1/2 yrs), the coverage was awful compared to Verizon.

There are several dead zones around the city (specifically on tyvola by Southpark)....

The only reason our company use dit was because of the direct connect....

thumbs down imo

Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 PM

540 posts, read 1,610,844 times
i've not no coverage issues with sprint at all anymore - used to get fade on providence near weddington rd, but it has been fixed and their customer service is greatly improved. seems like they may actually be trying to retain some customers now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte