Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 11:46 AM

693 posts, read 2,175,517 times

Advertisements

As someone who was a Veterinary tech back in FL, I can assure you carbon monoxide poisoning is a terrible and cruel way. The animals are in pain and panic. It's no different than the human atrocity of executing humans in gas chambers. It's economical because it is done en masse, but it is nonetheless terribly cruel.

Ketamine and phenobarbital are readily accessible and inexpensive, and it's how each of us would care for our own pets to peacefully end their lives. Gas is a cheap but callous and clumsy way to do this for the strays.

Last edited by Damemeow; 02-05-2009 at 01:06 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 01:05 PM

279 posts, read 1,085,600 times
This is terribly inhumane way to end an animal's life. And do you think they care if they put submissive animals in with aggressive animals? They're probably all so terrified and panicked ... it makes me sick to my stomach. It's barbaric. I'm disgusted that I live in union county. I wish I'd known about this before I bought in UC, I seriously WOULD NOT have done it, I would have lived in Meck. To know that my taxes fund that torture chamber makes me so angry.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:08 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,208,827 times
I'd like to ask anyone who cares enough to email/write the local papers and/or radio stations - maybe if we make some noise we can make a diff!

Old 02-05-2009, 03:43 PM

Bill545, along the same lines I am still new to the area and haven't been as active in animal rights as I used to be. Do you know of any local Trap Neuter/Spay Release program for feral cats? I used to do that kind of work down in Florida.

To anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about...most feral cats will never be suitable to live in a home...outside IS their home. What people like me do is manage the growth of the colonies so they don't become a problem for the community. This usually involves trapping adult cats and neutering/spaying them and then releasing them back to their colonies. Feral cats provide vermin and pest control and if they are neutered the population doesn't get out of hand. Kittens that are young enough are fostered until tame enough to adopt out.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:58 PM

373 posts, read 1,471,470 times
Looks like Union County is having a similar issue

http://www.wsoctv.com/download/2008/0307/15530318.pdf (broken link)

Old 02-05-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCruzes View Post
Looks like Union County is having a similar issue

http://www.wsoctv.com/download/2008/0307/15530318.pdf (broken link)
OMG --- They are killing cats that "don't appear healthy" without actually TESTING them for FELV/FIV this is awful. They are gassing animals that look sick, many of which are probably just dehydrated and malnourished.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:30 PM

373 posts, read 1,471,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
OMG --- They are killing cats that "don't appear healthy" without actually TESTING them for FELV/FIV this is awful. They are gassing animals that look sick, many of which are probably just dehydrated and malnourished.
As some of you may know we have a severly failing septic system and we live in Union County. We have asked the county to let us shut the system down and pump it. One reason we asked this is because of all the critters (squirrels, neighborhood pets, deer) that run through it and eat in it. Mr. Tarte visited the property in September along with another employee of the Health Department and said the standing sewage in our yard (over 1000 sq ft of it) was no danger at all. The guy actually said he would let his dog roll around in it. I replied that he must not love his dog very much.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:46 PM

279 posts, read 1,085,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Bill545, along the same lines I am still new to the area and haven't been as active in animal rights as I used to be. Do you know of any local Trap Neuter/Spay Release program for feral cats?
Damemeow - my husband and I worked with Friends of Feral Felines (Friends of Feral Felines - Spay / Neuter Clinic (http://www.friendsofferalfelines.org/clinic_main.htm - broken link)) in Meck. We captured 4 cats from our apt. complex in Ballantyne and took them to be spayed/neutered/tested and released back into their colony. We wished we could have caught more but we moved shortly after we started doing it. Please PM me if you want more info, the lady we worked w/ from FOFF was very nice.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:57 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,937,235 times
Absolutely sickening. Even the Nazis stopped using carbon monoxide because it took too long. It doesn't say much about the people that run & staff that death camp. If someone can kill animals & not think twice about it, its a short step to do the same thing to people.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,546 times
Unhappy sick of animal control

I get so tired of animal control trying to tell people what's right and what's wrong. When they cant even do what's right.If anyone (example) has a dog that got loose or doesn't have food in their bowl.they have the right to say your not taking care of your pet but yet THEY have the right to take a animal,not feed them right,kill them buy gassing them. And for some strange reason that ok,in their book that is.Why shouldn't they be fined,all their animals took and fired? They should not be able to treat an animal like crap no more then anyone else. Just because a animal cant talk they act like they are property? They still have rights an they should have the right to live. I mean they don't even kill people that have murdered,and done other unspeakable crimes. But yet a animal gets gassed just because they are sick or their owner didn't want them or mistreated them? That doesn't mean the rest of us wouldn't take care of them or love them if given the chance to take them.I am not a rich person but I love my pets and I take care of them.The animal control Needs to step up and practice what they preach.Sorry to vent but it makes me mad when they mistreat those poor animals. And cant there be a petition started to stop gassing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: