Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 PM

370 posts, read 753,095 times

Advertisements

But many DO have a job or can get a job. (ie nurses and other healthcare related fields) People moving here helps our economy. Why is it many seem so against people fueling our local economy with more business to our restaurants and merchants? Should people move anywhere without a job? No, but the fact that people WANT to come here, that they find it so desirable here, that many think Charlotte is a nice place, does not have to be negative. Would you be satisfied if people were running like wildfire from Charlotte like in many other economies? I mean, at least many see a reason to stick around here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 01:27 PM

370 posts, read 753,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchestergal View Post
Let's hope that many of those coming will have loads of cash to infuse into the local economy and start businesses and employ some of the unemployed. I hope they will purchase the empty houses that have been sitting for months and help get some of those unfinished developments completed! Put alarm system installers, electricians, plumbers, landscapers, cleaning crews to work. Not to mention the new furniture, drapes, blinds, paint jobs, etc. etc. While at it they may need to trade in the old clunker and help the car dealerships. New companies may start moving here to take advantage of an educated and vibrant workforce? I for one have spent a LOT of money since relocating here ( money that was made in another state) and I am in the process of hiring someone who has been out of work for over 2 years here in Charlotte. Its not all bad. There are many people who telecommute or work from home who are making the money elsewhere and spending it here in Charlotte. It might not be all bad. The economy will turn around like it always does...turn down the panic button! And no, I am not dreaming.
This is us as well, this what I was trying to say!

When we moved here we did not have the option to telecommute, we moved to CLT for a job. Now he does and technically we could move back home and stay employed and we STAYED in Charlotte b/c it was a nice place. And most of his co-workers are in the same boat, they stayed because they *gasp* like it. We have spent a ton of money with two moves and all that go with them. And we came from the midwest where COL is comparable, but their is nothing to do and the weather stinks. We love it here and I welcome newcomers with open arms!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:41 PM

206 posts, read 514,557 times
Agree, we have to understand that the economy is very diversified as far as types of jobs go. The information age has created a lot of non-traditional type jobs. On my street alone, about 20% of the neighbors I know don't have to leave home to work. Some said they have the same jobs they had in their prior state. Even with the bleak job market, many independent contracts seem to be picking up more work.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:14 PM

79 posts, read 344,077 times
#2 destination? Why? The unemployment rate here in Charlotte is far higher than the NYC metro area. It got way too crowded, too fast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte