Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 06:16 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,538,687 times

Advertisements

Not sure how many people get these alerts but thought I would post it:

Recent Trend in Robberies

Recently there has been a growing trend in robberies that is causing concern. On January 12, 2009 a man was robbed at gunpoint in his driveway while unloading packages from his vehicle. This was the incident that the Matthews Police Department reported through Citizen Observer yesterday, January 13, 2009. Although there have only been a couple other cases similar to this one in Matthews, there have been more in the surrounding Charlotte-Mecklenburg area. A citizen being targeted in their driveway or home has not been a typical form of robbery in the past. We want to stress to the community not to be fearful about dangerous crimes, but aware that they do exist so precautions can be taken.

The recent trend is that criminals drive through residential neighborhoods in the evening hours after sunset when there are not many people outdoors. When they locate a person just arriving at home, they use the element of surprise to take advantage of their victims. Most people feel more secure when they are home and their attention is diverted when getting in or out of their vehicle. The best means of preventing this type of crime is a keen alertness to your surroundings and recognizing suspicious activity. To assist in these efforts we suggest having sufficient lighting around your home and driveway. Consider using motion detector devices on outdoor lighting, which can also alert you to recent movement in the area. Watch for vehicles following you, or in the area as you approach your home. Consider driving past your home toward a populated area until you determine that the vehicle or person in the area is not suspicious. In the event you are confronted by an assailant comply with their demands and try to deescalate the situation to reduce violence.

There are different individuals committing these crimes and often use different vehicles. The location and times in which the incidents happen are random in nature. For that reason, it is important to be aware that although not frequent, robberies can occur in any neighborhood. Please look out for yourself and your neighbors, and report any suspicious activity to the police department immediately. To contact the Matthews Police Department directly, call 704-847-5555.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 07:38 AM

494 posts, read 1,344,696 times
Lovely...does it ever end w/ the robberies around here. :-(

Old 01-15-2009, 07:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,237,478 times
With the economy worsening, it is being predicted that such crimes are going to go up all over this country. The chances are low for being a victim of this type of crime . . . but it can happen to any of us since it is random. Pretty sad but we all do need to PAY ATTENTION.

May I add . . . I had posted last year that when I use my remote control to open my garage, I keep my eye on the rear view mirror to make sure no one sneaks in b/f the door shuts. I don't get out of my car until I am sure I am alone. Some people said this was highly paranoid. I don't see it this way. I lived in a neighborhood (one that didn't have crime) where suddenly - the thugs started using this method to access homes - so it does happen - and it is smarter to just make it a habit to pay attention than to become someone's next victim.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:08 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,538,687 times
I live near the end of a cul-de-sac so I actually pass my house and turn around so I can take a look around the area. I also look on the side of the house before I pull into the garage and lower the garage door before actually getting out of the vehicle.

If anyone tries to sneak in before the door shuts it will go back up but I also check the rear view mirror.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:11 AM

494 posts, read 1,344,696 times
If I have to scope out like this around my house when I come home I think I'll be moving to Antartica...LOL.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:18 AM

701 posts, read 1,079,915 times
Thanks for the alert! It's good to be aware of your surroundings. A mother can be caught off guard easily because she's getting children and all their stuff out of the car.........just something to think about.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 AM

274 posts, read 238,804 times
If you live in Matthews and would like to receive these alerts, go to www.matthewspolice.org. You can sign up for any and all alerts. Click on "Citizen Observer" in the first paragraph.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,079,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargoKey View Post
If you live in Matthews and would like to receive these alerts, go to www.matthewspolice.org. You can sign up for any and all alerts. Click on "Citizen Observer" in the first paragraph.
Thanks! Just signed up

Old 01-15-2009, 03:06 PM

693 posts, read 2,169,809 times
I am so glad someone beat me to posting this.

What the PD comment doesn't mention is that there have been strong armed robberies/ purse snatchings in several Matthews apartment complex parking lots. Two that I have first hand knowledge of are Paces Commons and Colonial Village. I have also heard that there was a robbery in a local bank parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: