Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:44 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times

Advertisements

Got my first nuisance violation (Charlotte) in today's mail.Apparently a worker put a torn-up rug out at the curb more than 24 hours before pick-up time.Lovely letter that outlined the possible fine if it was not taken care of along with a second page of a color photo of the rug laying at curb side.
Also included was the ordinace.

Very impressed with the gentle manner this was done.In other states that I have owned property they would send the violation notice along with a threat to seize your first born child if you didn't take care of it right away and pay a fine equal to one month's salary.

Just wanted to point out yet another advantage of living in CLT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 04:53 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,038,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Got my first nuisance violation (Charlotte) in today's mail.Apparently a worker put a torn-up rug out at the curb more than 24 hours before pick-up time.Lovely letter that outlined the possible fine if it was not taken care of along with a second page of a color photo of the rug laying at curb side.
Also included was the ordinace.

Very impressed with the gentle manner this was done.In other states that I have owned property they would send the violation notice along with a threat to seize your first born child if you didn't take care of it right away and pay a fine equal to one month's salary.

Just wanted to point out yet another advantage of living in CLT.
Funny difference on perspective. When I received that letter concerning my garbage can (another post, another story) I was mad!! In fact, I created a notebook showing my neighbours whose garbage can was also in front of their house....anyway, I thought that the letter was insulting and annoying!! ha, ha, ha. Perspective.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:41 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Funny difference on perspective. When I received that letter concerning my garbage can (another post, another story) I was mad!! In fact, I created a notebook showing my neighbours whose garbage can was also in front of their house....anyway, I thought that the letter was insulting and annoying!! ha, ha, ha. Perspective.
But did you get any satisfaction with what you did or did it add to your fustrations or stress? My max. fine (if not corrected) is $50 bux. I don't intend to pay so I guess they will get it at closing if and when I sell.And, they follow thru with "a lien of your house" threat. (I've been threathen by bigger women than her!) LOL. Much bigger!!

Old 01-22-2009, 07:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
HA HA HA HA!!! Yes, I think that was a very mild citation (the way it was handled) as compared to what I have seen in other cities. Welcome to the South, where you will get cited but no one wants to be ugly about it. I have seen a lot worse from neighbors in HOAs, LOL!!!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:32 AM

630 posts, read 1,878,134 times
HOAs are brutal with their letters. They requested we paint our satellite dish to blend in with the background (it's on the side of my house rather than the roof, which I wanted because so many installers half ass the install and you will get leaks from the holes they make) I just disregarded it. I'm not going to paint a camouflage satellite dish. Also the dish is grey and my house is greyish. Whatever.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexysteve View Post
HOAs are brutal with their letters. They requested we paint our satellite dish to blend in with the background (it's on the side of my house rather than the roof, which I wanted because so many installers half ass the install and you will get leaks from the holes they make) I just disregarded it. I'm not going to paint a camouflage satellite dish. Also the dish is grey and my house is greyish. Whatever.
If the dish is bothering your neighbors so much, tell them to come paint it themselves - do whatever they please. I know that is what I would say.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:00 AM

I think the HOA management company drives around with a checklist to nitpick each homeowner. Then they get to charge the HOA for every letter they send out. They sent one to each of us regarding our lawns and that we need to take care of them, even though we are having a drought. Umm ok. I'm seriously in the wrong business.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I think the HOA management company drives around with a checklist to nitpick each homeowner. Then they get to charge the HOA for every letter they send out. They sent one to each of us regarding our lawns and that we need to take care of them, even though we are having a drought. Umm ok. I'm seriously in the wrong business.
No kidding - I am sure that is what they are doing - billable hours - and trying to prove their viability. Yeah, maybe we are in the wrong business.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:39 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
flexysteve - I'd tell them to stick their paintbrushes where the sun don't shine. I "got" on my HOA board to prevent inane situations like that from occurring. FCC law trumps both state and HOA laws. Also, painting that dish may adversely affect the signal quality. I agree with you about the installers, many are only interested in a quick installation, not whether they damage your house! If the only place where the dish could receive a signal was smack in the middle of your front lawn, there is absolutely nothing the HOA can do about it. There are only restrictions on dish placements under federal law if you are in an "historic district". Tell your HOA to "get lost" or face a lawsuit (can you tell I'm originally from NJ - the "sue first" - "ask questions later" state?)

Old 01-22-2009, 11:43 AM

Emissary, luckily I new the law from following the DTV forums before I even signed up. They have all the laws on there and you can tell your HOA to cram it. You can put that dish on your front door if its the only place you get a signal. I think they like to scare the uninformed.

I have another good run in with the management company. I needed to use some rocks as a retaining wall kind of thing to prevent erosion on a sloped part of my yard. It's only about 8 inches tall. In the description I put "rocks". They came back needing more description like the color of the rocks. They're rock color. What the heck color do you expect from rocks? So my smart ass self wrote every single different type of rock I used and the type of stone (sedimentary etc, luckily I have studied geology). It was approved after that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte