Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 04:20 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,982,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
My 2 cents.. Talk to your neighbor once, more explain the situation, that youhave tried to work it out, but if the dog is roaming free once more you will need to call Animal Control for the safety of the people and the dog (free roaming dogs are also at risk). At that point i would also informt the HOA. Sometimes HOAs can "enforce" where one neighbor can't. Your neighbor may be upset, but that happens, this is a safety issue.

Also, the neighbor who said he can shoot a dog on his property is a bit off in his interpration of the law. He can't just shoot an wandering dog, there has to be a threat (which may or may not be easy to fake/prove). But you can also tell your neighbor that you heard someone shoots wandering dogs.

Good luck.
Great advice. You have tried, so try one more time to give him a chance and let him know that for the safety of your children and the safety of his dog, that if it happens again, you will call Animal Control.
He hasn't done anything about this problem in the past because he hasn't had to. I bet he listens this time. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 05:19 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
With pitbulls it is not an issue of if, but when, they will attack.

All the pitbull apologists can keep quiet, I have read and heard it all before. There is nothing any pro-pitbull person could say that would convince any semi-intelligent person that these land sharks are not a true menace and danger.

If you do not take action, and the pit attacks or kills someone, how are you going to feel? You should be dialing right now.

There is no excuse for dogs to run loose ROUTINELY where they are not supposed to. (I know they can get out from time to time -- not talking about that)

Take action, NOW!!!

lln

So my friend, who has two pitbulls(they are brothers) that are 11 years old. They have never "attacked" anyone. So, an "attack" should happen shortly? Because they only live for about 12-13 years. Times running out for there "attack".

I need a semi-intelligent person to tell me when it's going to happen, so I can warn my friend of the pending doom.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
So my friend, who has two pitbulls(they are brothers) that are 11 years old. They have never "attacked" anyone. So, an "attack" should happen shortly? Because they only live for about 12-13 years. Times running out for there "attack".

I need a semi-intelligent person to tell me when it's going to happen, so I can warn my friend of the pending doom.
My g/mother had a dobe. That was the sweetest most loving dog til the day she died. Breeding and training are everything w/ strong-natured dogs. That is such stereotypical thinking - to label all dogs of a particular breed as bad.

No dog should be allowed to roam. That is for the dog's sake, as well! Someone else mentioned this but didn't expand on it. But it is a good point. Dogs who wander can get hit by cars or cause an accident when a driver swerves to miss the dog.

The neighbors need to either figure out how to keep their dog on their own property or get rid of the dog. Amazing how 99 % of people in a neighborhood can manage to do that . . . but there is always one family who has a gazillion excuses for why they can't manage their pet.

Old 01-23-2009, 06:17 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post

Since you asked, my advice would be not to turn your back on them. Just read the paper, pal. Good, family pitbulls attack all the time.

I pray your friend's continue to defy the odds. I truly hope so.

lln

Old 01-24-2009, 06:02 AM

161 posts, read 423,432 times
Oh guys I really did not want to start a debate on good breed verses not, sorry on that one. I am not that educated on breeds enough to form a true thought other than what I know they are capable of.

The neighbor was gone last night and so I did not see the dog. Mind you, it is not everyday it happens but it is often enough to worry me. Especially when it thinks my home is its stomping ground.

I do intend to bring it up again with a little more than a smile and please. I wont be rude but I am trying to figure it out. See I hate confrontation unless someone provokes lol. Then the ktten heels are dismissed and the claws come out lol.

I do thank you all kindly for the input. I am going to talk to my DH today about it too. It is so hard to talk much through the week.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:55 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,130 times
Your HOA probably states that animals must be under the control of their owners. Check out to see what is said. Then, depending on how proficient you HOA is, you can have them send a warning letter to the homeowner responsible for the dog. It would be quicker and simpler to call the animal control people and have the dog picked up. In the past, I have even had the police give a warning to a petowner. You have options and should not have to worry about "anything" in or around your property.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:25 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times
Quote:
Since you asked, my advice would be not to turn your back on them. Just read the paper, pal. Good, family pitbulls attack all the time.

lln

LOL. There are risks everywhere in life. I worry about pitbulls like I worry about getting hit by a bus or struck by lightening. The risk is there. Oh well.

The media sensationalize the attacks, people like you feed off it. That is the medias intention.

I have rescued dogs and I have seen dogs that were so abused and neglected hop in my lap, look deep into my eyes and lick my forehead.

Pit Bulls are different for sure. They expose humans for the cruel and inhumane beasts we are and we don't like it.

Pit Bulls are not dangerous dogs. They are however, abused, sold to irresponsible owners, the favorite dogs of drug dealers, dog fighters and street gangs and this is by far how these sensationalized attacks come to light.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:55 PM

117 posts, read 597,541 times
Default You know what? Never mind...

I started to write a response to lln but changed my mind...especially since we can go back and forth on the topic all day. For anyone who has let the media determine their feelings on the breed and hasn't done any research or spent any time with one, there's no point in talking about it.

For anyone wanting to read some interesting "facts" about pit-bulls, check out The Dog Breed Issue - National Canine Research Council. Let's put the blame where blame is due and that's on the people who own the dog.

These crazies might be one of your neighbors or the guy who sits next to you in the cube at work.

Yep, I think I'll take my chances with my pit. Even my cat's more vicious than her.

By the way, did you know the dog breed that has the most reported dog bites is the Labrador Retriever? Better not turn my back on mine...he just might get me.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:40 PM

15 posts, read 46,272 times
Local leash laws apply to dogs off leash - call Animal Control.

Your HOA is not a substitute for animal control. Most HOAs address doggie poop in common areas and send out friendly reminders to everyone to help keep the peace, but they dont enforce local leash laws.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:02 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:

lln
So did our good, loving, family cocker spaniel bite me when I was a kid. Yowzer, don't turn your back on them either I guess. Your post suggesting everyone with a dissenting opinion should just shut up was unnecessary. OP's situation has nothing to do with breed (although it adds to her emotional distress), it has everything to do with leash laws and being neighborly.

I like the idea of giving a final warning, maybe get the neighbor on the other side to go along as well. If you want it to be less personal, write a letter (leaving out the breed of dog issue as it isn't the issue) and have several neighbors sign on, mail it certified, return reciept requested.

Then, if the dog is out again, call animal control. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: