Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM

61 posts, read 136,989 times

Advertisements

Have been reading many disturbing reports on these threads about crime in Charloitte (gang-related) and property-crime moving out of Charlotte into the suburbs, especially Union County. We live in Ossining, N.Y. in Westchester County, about 35 miles north of NYC. There are certain places in this town I would not go into after midnight, but overall we have never felt unsafe. We take normal precautions: don't leave anything in the car obvious to view and always lock our cars, even in the driveway(if they're going to be out of the garage for any length of time).

I have 2 grown children who live and work in Manhattan, and we frequently go in to meet them for dinner. I have also never felt unsafe walking midtown Manhattan streets after dark and have parked the car on the street many times.

Are the Charlotte suburbs worse than this? Is there a REAL problem with crime in Uinon County or is this hysteria? If so, is the crime situation any better north of the city in the Lake Norman area?

Thanks.

denny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:00 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,693,363 times
I beleive the statistics show that per person, Charlotte crime is worse then average for most cities of this size.

With that being said, most of the crime is concentrated in certain pockets around the city. In general, Union County and Lake Norman areas that you mentioned are safe and you would not feel uncomfortable walking around after dark around there.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,042,521 times
I am a native and have never been the victim of crime. I was assaulted when in college, but that was not here (and was off campus).

There are gangs here as in every city in this country (anyone know of a city w/o gang activity?) . . . but I have never seen anyone that appeared to be a gang member b/c I don't go to the parts of the city where they hang out. Trust me, you won't either, LOL.

As for crime in the burbs - yes, we have had break-ins and even home invasions, but many of those incidences involved parties known to one another. In the majority of cases, where there has been a true home invasion (family at home, thugs kick down door) . . . homes were selected b/c it appeared there were lots of goodies in the house worth stealing. There is a reason thugs have targeted the burbs - they have figured out that is where the best electronics are - and that is what is typically stolen - plasma TVs, game systems, computers - and of course, jewelry.

People have been reluctant here to believe that it is necessary to close one's blinds so the thugs can't see your TV from the street . . . keep garage doors down . . . install and USE an alarm system . . . don't leave items in the car and lock it . . . have outdoor flood lights . . . etc.

There are some areas more prone to break-ins b/c thugs live nearby and the miscreants seem to like easy targets they can drive by and rip off! In those cases, there really isn't much a homeowner can do other than have a good Neighborhood Watch program.

Where I live in S. CLT . . . we have never had problems w/ break-ins or crime in this neighborhood. However, several of us work at home so we are very aware of who is coming and going. Plus, we are on a culdesac and at the back of the subdivision - so it is just not a neighborhood that would afford easy ingress and egress - winding streets - no way a car could speed out of this neighborhood, LOL. That helps, as well.

And to get really down and dirty about the situation . . . it used to be that the rabble rousers in this region knew that homeowners had shotguns and would use them. Newcomers have moved in over the last six or so years . . . and the thugs are basically breaking into those areas w/ newcomers . . . and no one got shot. Seems a lot of people from other areas are very into gun control and don't own firearms. The thugs figured that out, too.

However, in the last year, several homeowners have shot intruders, and I don't think it is a coincidence that the home invasions always taper off a bit after one of the thugs gets shot.

Plus, we have a new Chief of Police, and he is not into the Catch and Release program that has been going on for years w/ the DA's office. We have basically had a Hug-A-Thug mentality here in Charlotte - let's give these poor kids a second, uh, third, uh . . . 20th chance.

There are gonna be burglaries any place you live/move to. Choose a good neighborhood away from the known crime-ridden areas or w/ high law enforcement presence (such as uptown condos) . . . have good safety habits w/ locking things up . . . and you will be fine.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:58 PM
QCP

185 posts, read 521,120 times
Good post ani,

Crime is not rampant in Charlotte like some posters on here will have you think. Crime numbers in general have decreased considerably since the new police chief has arrived. Even before, for a city of this size, Charlotte in no way was outstanding, good or bad.

I live in South Charlotte, near the Union County border and I walk my dog at all hours of the day and night and have never felt unsafe. Half the time I don't even lock my doors (I know that's stupid!) and still have not ever been a victim of crime.

As for Union county, I would guess that 90% of all crime takes place in or around Monroe. Western Union County is VERY safe and for the most part crime free. The Charlotte area has MANY very safe areas for someone looking to relocate. I would not let crime deter me whatsoever.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:25 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,688,152 times
I have live in Charlotte for a year and a few months now, and I have not been the victim of any crimes nor seen any gang related issues. I can't speak for Union Co. I think Charlotte is pretty safe for a city of its size, and I wouldn't worry too much about crime as long as you practice common sense and don't venture into the more dangerous areas of the city.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 PM

61 posts, read 136,989 times
Thanks everyone for the info. We'll probably be down in the Spring to look around and see for ourselves. So far we like Union county because of the taxes, but Lake Norman also looks nice. We shall see.

A high school classmate of mine lives in Davidson, so I think I'll pick his brains as well. Thanks again.

denny

Old 01-27-2009, 03:24 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,042,521 times
Davidson is also a really nice area. You are gonna have a much better understanding of the region once you visit.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:53 AM

488 posts, read 1,019,941 times
but as long as you marrid and dont put your self in those situation no worrys!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:57 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,482,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny View Post
Thanks everyone for the info. We'll probably be down in the Spring to look around and see for ourselves. So far we like Union county because of the taxes, but Lake Norman also looks nice. We shall see.

A high school classmate of mine lives in Davidson, so I think I'll pick his brains as well. Thanks again.

denny
If you wind up deciding on living in Charlotte you can check out reported crimes & calls for service at Community Crime Information System.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 PM

4 posts, read 8,194 times
Crime is crime and crime is rated on a per capita basis, so please don't let the crime alarm you in Charlotte, because crime is everywhere nowadays, we are in a deep recession and many people are out of a job, many can't find a job, and many of the people have families, and I don't feel no person that has a family to support is going to let their family go hungry, so please have an open mind to why we have a ride in crime all over America, and thank god that you are not homeless, out of a job, and have money saved for a rainy day.

Obviously struggle makes people do spontaneous things when there is a financial crisis, in the same way that all of these auto makers and banks are asking for bailout money, now do you think a big corporation would just let its company go down without first trying measures to save that company.

I feel that if the homeless and unemployed are forced to go it alone, then corporations should face the same struggle, which would really create a humbling experience for many of these executives that look down on a certain part of society because they have to resort to any means necessary to survive daily.

my company feeds the homeless citizens, so i have spoken with many homeless men, women, and children, and they are the true survivors of this recession, because they struggle every day for a meal and shelter.

The long and short of this is that these are tough times for everybody and the crime all of America will get worse before it gets better, so just think safety and survival no matter where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte