Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 10:22 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times

Advertisements

For a while now, it seems like we've been steadily losing family members from NC. First, five years ago, just as we were moving into our house in Huntersville, my brother and sister-in-law were moving out of Huntersville in search of better property values (she has a horse) and they found what they were looking for when they were able to buy 83 acres at $1000/acre in Maine.

Then, in January, Mom and Dad had to leave Greensboro for Dayton, OH so he could keep his job after the company was bought-out. Now, my brother, fresh from a mortgage-industry related layoff, is joining them in OH until he can get back on his feet. That leaves one more brother, who's business supports the local builders, and who hasn't had any work for their contracts since the beginning of the year. He's living with us, but is considering giving up his share of the business and moving out of the country and setting down roots elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 12:36 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
My wife's sister's husband just got laid off from his job as an electrician in Wilmington. I really hope that they aren't invited to live with us.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
For a while now, it seems like we've been steadily losing family members from NC. First, five years ago, just as we were moving into our house in Huntersville, my brother and sister-in-law were moving out of Huntersville in search of better property values (she has a horse) and they found what they were looking for when they were able to buy 83 acres at $1000/acre in Maine.

Then, in January, Mom and Dad had to leave Greensboro for Dayton, OH so he could keep his job after the company was bought-out. Now, my brother, fresh from a mortgage-industry related layoff, is joining them in OH until he can get back on his feet. That leaves one more brother, who's business supports the local builders, and who hasn't had any work for their contracts since the beginning of the year. He's living with us, but is considering giving up his share of the business and moving out of the country and setting down roots elsewhere.
SuperK - that sure is amazing . . . kind of the opposite phenomena than what we have been hearing about - everyone is supposedly moving HERE. I think you are not the only one experiencing these changes. I suspect Charlotte (and surrounding area) has not been the job mecca for a lot of people since last year . . . we just aren't hearing their stories. While others are moving here w/ new jobs, I think many industries are seeing slow downs and even losing jobs to over seas . . . so yes, there are newcomers, but we are losing long time residents, as well. The economic situation in our country is just that - all over the country. I do think CLT has been less severely hit than so many areas, but doesn't man we are immune. Your family stories illustrate that all too well.

So are you feeling left behind. Or do you think your mom and dad - and even your brother - will some day move back???

Old 06-16-2008, 01:31 PM

Well, as you may know from other posts, I have a disabled wife. It's hurt a bit not being able to have my mom come down and stay with her from time to time. But, as far as I know, they have every intent of coming back, most likely to Charlotte this time, once they are able to. They're not particually thrilled with the area of OH that they're living in right now.

I don't know about the rest. I hear that my SIL has been receiving tons of job offers from Colorado, and considering how much they love skiing, I could see them going there next. Then again, they still have a lot of friends here, so you never know.

On the other hand, I know my wife's sister & husband don't really like living in Macon, GA, and they've always expressed an interest in moving here. So, maybe they will once he retires.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Well, as you may know from other posts, I have a disabled wife. It's hurt a bit not being able to have my mom come down and stay with her from time to time. But, as far as I know, they have every intent of coming back, most likely to Charlotte this time, once they are able to. They're not particually thrilled with the area of OH that they're living in right now.

I don't know about the rest. I hear that my SIL has been receiving tons of job offers from Colorado, and considering how much they love skiing, I could see them going there next. Then again, they still have a lot of friends here, so you never know.

On the other hand, I know my wife's sister & husband don't really like living in Macon, GA, and they've always expressed an interest in moving here. So, maybe they will once he retires.
I hope your SIL and her H will consider moving here. Let us know what we can do to encourage them to move here. Maybe we should all start sending them articles and care packages from Charlotte, LOL - you know - "recruit them!!!"

Old 06-16-2008, 01:41 PM

175 posts, read 546,281 times
My family lives in Maine and YES land is sooooooo cheap there compared to this area in NC. However, the economy is terrible and they struggle...as does everyone else with year round employment. In fact, my parents hope to leave Maine this year and move to NC.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:21 AM

Oops, losing another one. My brother just got a really good job offer for a position in Indianapolis.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Oops, losing another one. My brother just got a really good job offer for a position in Indianapolis.
This reminds me of what happened in so many families during the Great Depression. Not meaning to be overly dramatic here . . . but it was no joke that people literally struck out to other areas of the country . . . with momma and the kids standing on the porch, saying "Write when you find work."

We live in a different world today. People can find that job w/o leaving home on a prayer that wherever they landed . . . there would be a job. At least we can nail all that down b/f we pack up and leave our homes. But it still strikes me as similar, since the point is - find a job elsewhere, whether it is exactly where we had planned on being at that point - or not.

It may be your brother can spend a few years in Indy and come back to CLT eventually . . . who knows? It isn't a bad spot to land, even tho the weather can make it more challenging than the temperate zone we are in here.

I have a feeling most of us are going to go wherever the jobs are at this point. Anyone out of work has to be realistic about the options. My hope is that our economy here in Charlotte will rebound soon and jobs will open in 2010. Maybe that is too optimistic . . .

Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 AM

630 posts, read 1,877,959 times
Have you ever been to Maine? There's a good reason land is cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte