U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 AM

30 posts, read 356,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Many states issue cards for ID purposes that look like a driver's license but isn't. It's for people who have to have an ID, like cashing a check, but who don't actually need to drive. Does NC have this? and would it help you?
Thought about the state-issued ID for non-drivers but decided to keep renewing my actual drivers license each time just in case I might actually drive again in the future-- by renewing, won't have to endure another road driving test (barely passed that in 1984.)

Don't worry, I wouldn't just buy a car & start driving-- I'd take refresher driving lessons & do lots of practice before getting into traffic!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:32 AM

314 posts, read 1,057,483 times
[quote=cttw;7394361]And to JStevens44, you said "You can't have a mailbox as your address on your license" again, this is NOT a PO BOX but reads like a street address. Think I'll take a chance with it-- don't think they'll question me & later if someone catches it, I'll just correct it. (Again, I won't actually be driving!) quote]

I had the EXACT same thought you did. I'll just get the license with my mailbox on there. My UPS Store mailbox with a street address, mind you. The problem is that you have to put the Suite number on there. I don't know if they see that suite number and ask, or if they ask everyone. Either way, they ask you if it's a just a mailbox or if it's the physical address where you live. Now, I guess you could lie and say it's where you live. Assuming they believed you and haven't seen that address before from someone else who happens to have a mailbox at that address, you might be able to get away with it. I don't know what the consequences of lying about your address to the DMV is. I guess if you lie and they catch you, you'll find out, eh?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 AM

30 posts, read 356,674 times
jstevens44-- Why were you worried about having to put a "Suite number" on forms? You could just use the mailbox number on address & people assume it's a unit# or apt#. That's been my experience since 2005 when I started using UPS for my mailing address. The UPS store address I use now for my mail looks something like this:
123 Main Blvd #204
Charlotte NC 28--- (NOT actual address!)

This UPS store is in a plaza on a main road. Here in Charlotte, I've opened bank accounts using that address with no problem. Back in NY state, I used my UPS store address when I filed my income tax & nothing happened! (And if the IRS never caught on, don't think the state DMV will create a problem!!) Most companies/people just ask for your address & don't specify anything. And if I verbally say my address, I say the street address and "number 2..etc.", they just assume it's a unit number or apt number. And what if I were moving from place to place here in Charlotte with no permanent address yet & had to use a UPS mailing address? I wouldn't be entitled to a NC drivers license? True, I'm wondering if I'll have a problem presenting proof of address to the DMV but I've seen that others used bank statements to confirm their addresses. Hey, not everyone has a lease or utility bills-- I don't since I share with someone who has that in his name only.

Maybe there would be a problem if your UPS mailbox number is real high, like #10267? Since that would look funny as a unit# or apt#? (Or maybe not?) But most UPS mailbox numbers are pretty low-- they wouldn't usually have more than 300 - 400 mailboxes at any one location, right? Hey, they make lots of money off of people using their store with a mailing address which does NOT look like a PO Box or mailbox, that's how they advertise their services to get customers! Another problem I could see is if there were thousands of people at DMV trying to use one particular UPS address when getting their licenses. But there's more than one UPS store here in Charlotte & even if dozens of people use a particular UPS address at the DMV, wouldn't the DMV just assume it's a large apt/condo complex? (The condo complex I'm staying at now has hundreds of units!) Also, if the DMV takes the trouble to keep a database of UPS store addresses & red-flags any applicant trying to use one of those addresses, I would be prevented from using it. How likely do you think the DMV takes the trouble to do this? (Hope I'm not giving them ideas here, but it's a huge, budget-threatened government bureaucracy, don't think they would bother with this!) And anyway, there's new stores opening up all the time. Plus if they stop me right there at the DMV from using this address or "catch" me, I just plead ignorance & offer them another address-- then I would have to move from that home address!

Since it's been very important to me for almost 4 years now to keep access to my actual address hidden from a family member who has threatened me, if I have to reveal my home address to the DMV to get my NC license, I would have to move out of that address right afterwards, will do that if no other choice! And once I move, I would NOT update that address with the DMV. Never did that in NY state when I moved 3 times after 2001 which was the last time renewed my license. And there were no negative consequences to this at all, but then again, I never had a vehicle to register, might be a problem if I did?

Just in case people reading this think I'm being paranoid here, think about battered women who have to keep their address hidden from an abusive partner/spouse who has threatened their life? That's not the case with me, but I have a brother who's a drug addict/convicted felon who has threatened me and my sisters because he thinks he's entitled to more of a family inheritance than he is. Years ago, this brother did elder abuse when he moved in on my widowed father & stole from him for over a year while physically abusing my father & forcing him to sleep in a cold basement. Then when my father died (supposedly of "natural cause" -- no autopsy was ever done!) since this brother was named as executor of my father's estate in a will dated 20 yrs earlier (which my father never changed!) he stayed in that house & kept stealing from the estate including a business my father owned-- we'll never know how much we lost since he sold all kinds of valuable items in the home & cleared out a warehouse attached to the business. After almost a year of stealing from the estate (which was supposed to be distributed equally to each sibling) & 3 attempts in the courts to remove him as executor since he had been convicted as a federal felon due to federal tax fraud (!!)-- this was in my father's resident state of Pennsylvania where apparently a convicted murderer on death row would be allowed to serve as executor of a will!-- the courts finally removed him as executor right before he was about to fraudulantly receive money for selling the house & business. He got caught but the only price he paid was having an estimated amount deducted from his share of the inheritance (NOT anywhere near the actual amount he stole!) Even then, he has not been satisfied & has verbally threatened myself & my sisters, threatening revenge on us since we worked so hard to remove him from control over the estate!
Hope that explains why I'd like to keep my home address hidden as much as possible!

Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM

324 posts, read 685,150 times
My daughters who had recently taken the written test said to know everything about dui's and that type of thing. They really don't ask much about actual driving..mostly about drinking or drugs while driving.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 AM

314 posts, read 1,057,483 times
Like I said, I don't know if he asked me because of the number at the end of the street address or if they ask everyone this. I didn't lie and told him that it was a mailbox at the UPS Store. I am renting a room, pay no utilities and have no lease with him, I just pay rent. He said that you can have a mailing address listed in the system where you want to receive any correspondence, but the address shown on the license itself has to be the physical address where you live, not a mailbox.

If they don't ask you, then they don't ask you. If they do, then you can lie. As stated earlier, I don't know what the consequences of that lie may be. May be nothing.

You asked, and I stated my experiences at the DMV because they seemed to mirror your situation a bit. Of course, I'm not hiding from a relative and need to conceal my whereabouts, so that's where our situation differs apparently. I had no reason to hide where I lived, therefore no reason to lie to the DMV.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:26 PM

99 posts, read 365,317 times
Just study the questions here and you will pass. I looked it over while I was waiting in the DMV office and I got all of the questions right.

North Carolina Driver License Exam BrainDumps: Study Guide for the NC DMV exam

Old 03-27-2010, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 5,949 times
how do i find my nc DL#. haven't been there in 81/2 years and FL says they have a stop on it

Old 03-28-2010, 09:37 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,751,269 times
This is an old thread brought to light. I was going to start a new thread with my following question, but I'll ask in here

Anyone know if DMV will take bank statements, life ins. policy and credit card statements as proof of residency? All my utilities are in my wife's name.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,713,001 times
1 Driver license or state-issued
identification card from another state,
Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory or a
Canadian province
2 Certified birth certificate issued by
a government agency in the U.S.,
Puerto Rico, a U.S. territory or
Canada, or U.S. Report of Consular
Birth Abroad
3 Original Social Security Card
4 Official North Carolina school
registration records signed by a
school official and diplomas or
GED issued by North Carolina
schools, including secondary schools,
community colleges, colleges and
universities
5 Unexpired U.S. military identification,
including DD-2, DD-214, Common
Access Card, and U.S. Military
Dependents Card
6 Valid, unexpired passport from any
nation
Cannot be expired more than
one year.
• An expired immigration document
may be valid if accompanied by a
letter from US INS extending the
expiration date (e.g. I-797).
• Primary INS document must
have applicant’s photo.
• Divorce decree.
• Court order for change of name or
gender.
• Adoption papers.
• Certified Court order for child
support.
• A valid, unexpired license/ID card or
learner permit with a photo meets
the requirements for one form of ID.
• A driver license, learner permit or
ID card with photo which has been
expired less than one year may be
used as one form of identification.
• A valid, unexpired driver license,
learner permit or ID card without a
photo can be used as one form of
identification.
No photocopies allowed, unless
certified by issuing agency.
Note: Effective July 1, 2010 Puerto Rico birth
certificates issued prior to July 1, 2010 will
no longer be accepted.
Driver Education Certificates, Driving
Eligibility Certificates and report cards
are not accepted as proof of
identification. They are acceptable for
proof of residency.
• If from a nation other than United
States, the passport must include an
unexpired INS stamp, such as the I-94
or I-551.
• A passport with a valid INS or BIS
stamp counts as two documents, since
the passport is issued by the country
of origin and the immigration stamp is
issued by the U.S.
The documents cannot come from the same
category (e.g. two school documents).
Chapter 1 — Your License

page 21 of the pdf & page 19 of handbook
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/driver_serv...DL_English.pdf

Old 03-29-2010, 11:28 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,237,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I think you have most of the info you need. I also took the test recently and also had a little trouble recognizing the blank signs as part of the vision test. I mean... what is a blank yellow triangle? Fortunately my wife had just quizzed me on the 5 sided sign (school crossing sign). I did miss a couple of the signs but it wasnt a problem. The written test is given on a computer and if you answer them all right they don't even let you finish the test. As soon as you "pass" they end the test. Likewise, I suspect if you miss too many and fail they will also stop the test.

One thing, in North Carolina you have to show your actual social security CARD. It is not enough to know your number, you must produce the actual card. So if you don't have one you will have to get it from the Social Security office.
My husband had trouble with the blank 5 sided yellow triangle, but yes it can only be either school or school crossing, so worth taking note of the shapes and colors, not just what's inside the signs-if that makes sense!

I think the pass mark for the computer test is around 85%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte