Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 08:00 PM

525 posts, read 1,804,462 times

Advertisements

Locked doors don't matter if someone has a weapon or really want your vehicle. I'd stay out of the bad areas if you can.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:47 PM

113 posts, read 457,422 times
Look, is it just me, or does any one find a concern like that, (from someone who is going to live in the PALISADES) a little strange. You're just as far away from crime there as from anything else...

Old 05-16-2007, 08:01 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wades View Post
Look, is it just me, or does any one find a concern like that, (from someone who is going to live in the PALISADES) a little strange. You're just as far away from crime there as from anything else...
Crime can, and does, happen in ALL parts of the city - we are a large city now with big city problems. It is wise to always be aware of that, even at the Palasaides.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,791 times
crime is rampant everywhere, I have lived in charlotte for the past ten years and have had a handful of incidents. However it seems that the criminals are more on the ball than the police. I recently let my my best girlfriends son use my car to pick up his son at daycare. Apparently he thought picking up cocaine would be more fun and he was arrested. Instead of contacting the owner of the vehicle (me) they let "someone" who was in the car, take it. I now have no way to find out where my car is or who has it. I can't even call it in stolen because I let this boy use it and since "someone" gave my keys to a stranger it is only "unauthorized use of a motor vehicle". This tells you how Charlotte law enforcement works. I have three kids and no car now. And the police are basically telling me "too bad, so sad". And they told me to file a police report I would have to go downtown, cause they won't send an officer out to my house. I suppose I should pack up my three kids and get on a bus. "they gave my car away to what I suspect are drug dealers or users". They never even attempted to contact me. My tax dollar at work, I guess. If you move to Charlotte, just remember, YOUR ON YOUR OWN! The police are worthless in my opinion

Old 10-05-2007, 10:13 AM

245 posts, read 267,624 times
Your responsible for the car not the cops. Why didn't your best friend pick up her own grandchild.

Why can't people take responsibility for there own actions without blaming the cops or teachers etc. You made the decision now live with it!!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:18 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyjar View Post
crime is rampant everywhere, I have lived in charlotte for the past ten years and have had a handful of incidents. However it seems that the criminals are more on the ball than the police. I recently let my my best girlfriends son use my car to pick up his son at daycare. Apparently he thought picking up cocaine would be more fun and he was arrested. Instead of contacting the owner of the vehicle (me) they let "someone" who was in the car, take it. I now have no way to find out where my car is or who has it. I can't even call it in stolen because I let this boy use it and since "someone" gave my keys to a stranger it is only "unauthorized use of a motor vehicle". This tells you how Charlotte law enforcement works. I have three kids and no car now. And the police are basically telling me "too bad, so sad". And they told me to file a police report I would have to go downtown, cause they won't send an officer out to my house. I suppose I should pack up my three kids and get on a bus. "they gave my car away to what I suspect are drug dealers or users". They never even attempted to contact me. My tax dollar at work, I guess. If you move to Charlotte, just remember, YOUR ON YOUR OWN! The police are worthless in my opinion

The cops have not done anything wrong in this situation - they are following the law. It is incumbant upon owners of vehicles to make sure the person they lend a vehicle to is responsible, licensed, not impaired, and not about to commit a crime!

Old 10-05-2007, 11:57 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyjar View Post
Wow such as scathing review- I've had the complete opposite experience with all CMPD and Union County police. Never once has one been impolite or unprofessional. Put it this way, it could be worse- your vehicle could have been used in a vehicular homicide or any number of far worse scenarios. It stinks not having your car but at the same time no one lost their life.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:16 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,241 times
Wow! I agree with lovesMountains and Miker2069. I've had nothing but good experiences with the C-M police. They have been prompt, polite and professional in everyone of my encounters with them.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:39 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,241 times
Default Uneducated xenophobes

One more comment. Mrs P. says "I wouldn't walk ANYWHERE on the East side or the West side. I drive Eastway every day to work, and my doors are locked and stay that way. You are correct crime is everywhere, but it is prevalent in certain areas of every town."

I live on the Eastside and choose to live here. I want to assure Mrs. P. and everyone else that it is not all Eastway Drive! I walk around my neighborhood alone all of the time. We have neighborhood parties just as people in South Charlotte do and, unlike that part of town, come in all colors and work in many different jobs. We have a strong neighborhood association, lovely trees and a 10 minute commute to downtown. We get a little tired of hearing this same inaccurate drivel about where we live. Statements such as "the corridor of crap" that was posted awhile ago and Mrs. P's statement come only from uneducated xenophobes.

Wow! I've got that off my chest. I love reading this forum, but some of its posters are so narrow-minded.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:29 AM

390 posts, read 1,515,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
One more comment. Mrs P. says "I wouldn't walk ANYWHERE on the East side or the West side. I drive Eastway every day to work, and my doors are locked and stay that way. You are correct crime is everywhere, but it is prevalent in certain areas of every town."

I live on the Eastside and choose to live here. I want to assure Mrs. P. and everyone else that it is not all Eastway Drive! I walk around my neighborhood alone all of the time. We have neighborhood parties just as people in South Charlotte do and, unlike that part of town, come in all colors and work in many different jobs. We have a strong neighborhood association, lovely trees and a 10 minute commute to downtown. We get a little tired of hearing this same inaccurate drivel about where we live. Statements such as "the corridor of crap" that was posted awhile ago and Mrs. P's statement come only from uneducated xenophobes.

Wow! I've got that off my chest. I love reading this forum, but some of its posters are so narrow-minded.
I used to live on the eastside, too, and always felt safe, with the exception of cars travelling too fast on Eastway. I walked alone at night in my neighborhood, I walked to Walmart, I slept with my windows open. The police substation was 200 yards away and the 1 time anything happened in the 4 years we lived there, 4 officers were on our street before the perp even made it through the woods. And that was just a shoplifter. I will say that we had a bit of foot traffic - but those kids were more polite than the spoiled punks who lived in our next neighborhood in South Charlotte.

We had a friendly neighborhood full of supportive people, and, as mentioned, a 10 minute commute. Don't knock what you don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte