U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:04 AM

73 posts, read 416,602 times

Advertisements

I was telling folks about my move to Charlotte in a few months. One person grew up in the area and told me the crime was out of control. I will live in either Northstone, Olde Sycamore, Palasades, etc. Thoghts?
Rate this post positively

Old 03-22-2007, 09:08 AM

179 posts, read 250,987 times
I walked in many different parts of the city when I was there about a month ago during the day and night and felt safe everywhere I went except up north tryon headed towards university area..then again I was in my car during that part so I still felt safe enough. Remember..if the areas bad..act normal like you belong there..if you act all shook or touristy you have a much higher risk of being victimized...no matter what city or town you are in. Just mind your business..dont look at anybody..be aware of your surroundings..and move confidently with strong conviction like you have somewhere to go haha. Crime is everywhere you just gotta man up and figure out where to avoid if thats a problem for you.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:10 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,684,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln S View Post
I was telling folks about my move to Charlotte in a few months. One person grew up in the area and told me the crime was out of control. I will live in either Northstone, Olde Sycamore, Palasades, etc. Thoghts?
All I needed was a few nights of watching the local news here to realize that you couldn't pay me to live in Charlotte.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:10 AM

45,246 posts, read 94,146,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln S View Post
Crime is not out of control, that would mean we have people being murdered in their beds every day and gang warfare in the streets, which just isn't happening. However, crime is worse than it has ever been, which is not surprising considering Charlotte is now such a large city. Compared to other cities the size of Charlotte we are pretty middle of the road in our crime stats. The biggest crimes in Charlotte tend to be car thefs and armed robberies of restaurants, with a fair amount of break-ins in certain areas. In the places you are looking to live I wouldn't worry too much.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 AM

45,246 posts, read 94,146,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
All I needed was a few nights of watching the local news here to realize that you couldn't pay me to live in Charlotte.
Which is a shame because you are missing out on living in a wonderful, beautiful city Do you realize our news stations report not just on Charlotte, but on a 8 county radius? If you don't know where some of the places are that are being talked about you might think everything you hear is happening in Charlotte, but it's not. All the crime, wrecks, drug related stuff in happening in a very large geographical area so it is not nearly as bad as the impression you have gotten.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:18 AM

876 posts, read 3,601,018 times
What are you comparing Charlotte to when you say crime is out of control? Are these innocent victims getting killed, or are they part of a gang, drug ring, etc? Anywhere you go, there is going to be crime and there are going to be "bad areas."

I remember when I left Broward County, FL during the first week of January 07. We just had our 7th homocide of the year in ONE WEEK. When I came to Charlotte that same week, they had their FIRST homocide while I was here.

I don't think Charlotte is the Saint of all Cities, but it is far from out of control.

Just my $.02...

Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 AM

179 posts, read 250,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Which is a shame because you are missing out on living in a wonderful, beautiful city Do you realize our news stations report not just on Charlotte, but on a 8 county radius? If you don't know where some of the places are that are being talked about you might think everything you hear is happening in Charlotte, but it's not. All the crime, wrecks, drug related stuff in happening in a very large geographical area so it is not nearly as bad as the impression you have gotten.
This is true. You know what else I'm sick of..I'm sick of people wanting to move to "charlotte" (aka one of the suburbs usually) and being concerned with the inner city crime like it will really effect them. I hate when people treat Charlotte like a small town with out of control crime and I dont even live there yet! Its a big city!! ALLLLL big cities have higher crime b/c of the diversity of people and extreme population densities. Also it pisses me off people are still blurred by media. Everything you see or hear on tv means nothing. From politics to crime to advertisements etc. Its all for someones gain excluding you! Obviously they are going to report all the bad things b/c that makes for good ratings. Does that mean that only bad things happen or more bad things than good things happen? Heck no. Its the only way they can get people to watch their stupid newscasts. No one will tune in to hear "Bunny saved by veterinarian at 9" The worst thing you can do for your mental health is watch news or politics on television. Of major cities comparable in size, some even larger, Charlotte has one of the LOWER crime rates. Do your research. Google does wonders for you. There are tons of lists compiled every year with rankings, statistics, etc. Then comes the problem with people looking at percentages vs actual occurrences. Leave the statistics and numbers to the geographers, and get a feel for a place through experience. Even a small vacation to a place can tell you a lot more than reading numbers or watching news.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 AM

22,974 posts, read 61,657,858 times
first two areas are close to Huntersville and it relative low crime area.

I feel safe here even at night when I walk the dog. The problem I ever hear about is car break in's but they are not really break ins when people leave there cars unlock windows down in the summer and I think that isnt a smart move no matter where you live.

The areas you have chosen are kinda upscale so there is less rift raft in those areas to cause problems Your best bet is with Northstone then Olde syamore just my opinion.

Watching any news station in any city and you will feel crime is bad lol news is bad stuff. Most cases things that are crime related are in bad parts of the city usually west side and parts of the east side of the city. The areas you mention are on the north. except the last one

Huntersville, North Carolina is in the 12% percentile rank in the state for Violent Crime. It is in the 41% percentile rank nationally. Lower numbers are better. In this case, 12% of cities in North Carolina have crime rates equal to or lower than Huntersville, or said another way, 88% of cities in North Carolina have crime rates higher than Huntersville.

Charlotte data may be higher but the city is large for instance the areas that tend to have higher crime rate are 20 minutes to 45 minutes to commute to. But mostly in areas that need revitalization. What I call slums that even 1 stop light cities have.
I feel safe even in uptown charlotte at night.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:17 AM

876 posts, read 3,601,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I feel safe here even at night when I walk the dog. The problem I ever hear about is car break in's but they are not really break ins when people leave there cars unlock windows down in the summer and I think that isnt a smart move no matter where you live.

Watching any news station in any city and you will feel crime is bad lol news is bad stuff.

Huntersville, North Carolina is in the 12% percentile rank in the state for Violent Crime. It is in the 41% percentile rank nationally. Lower numbers are better. In this case, 12% of cities in North Carolina have crime rates equal to or lower than Huntersville, or said another way, 88% of cities in North Carolina have crime rates higher than Huntersville.
I agree with all the above, very well said.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:08 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,852,202 times
Morgan-Quitno, (research company) ranks Charlotte as the 8th most violent city in the nation with a population over 500,000.

There are certain areas of Charlotte that you dont need a crime expert telling you to stay away from, you can see it with your own eyes. That being said, crime occurrs everywhere, but mainly in confined to certain areas. However, there are some criminals who get a kick out of traveling to more "well to do" places and breaking in to cars or home invasions. Try telling a victim of this crime that its not a serious offense.

Overall, I feel safe in Charlotte, having lived in this area my whole life, I actually feel safer in Charlotte now than 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte