Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 01:35 PM

748 posts, read 1,772,271 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know where you ended up and why. My house search has now become aggressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 02:15 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,363,046 times
I ended up in Mint Hill. It is smaller and close enough to Charlotte for me without being exactly in the city. It is also close to lots of shopping with easy access to the interstate and of all close to my job Less taxes as well not by a lot but a little less. The high school for my son is pretty good as well.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:13 PM

I'll be working at Lowe's HQ in Mooresville.
What is the worst case for property taxes in the Charlotte area overall?
Out here in the cornfields of Illinois we pay $7200/yr for a $350k house. And that's outside of city limits. No sewer, water, sidewalks...not even a library card for that money.

Anyone know what the max percentage of home value we can expect for taxes?

Old 07-02-2010, 03:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,772,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
Out here in the cornfields of Illinois we pay $7200/yr for a $350k house. And that's outside of city limits. No sewer, water, sidewalks...not even a library card for that money.

You'll pay a lot less than that in Mooresville, though I'm sorry I don't know the exact rate.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:32 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,046,892 times
Quote:

where in IL if I might ask?

Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,046,892 times
actually, if you are working in Mooresville, I would recommend Statesville as an alternate place to look. LOTS of house for your money and a quaint little town not far from the Lowe's HQ. The area by the hospital is very nice and I personally know of a massive house on Hartness Rd. for sale for like $150k or something (for sale by owner). It has a full basement (unusual here). Not a huge lot, but, very pretty and brick. (also unusual here)

Old 07-03-2010, 02:37 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,034,082 times
Bobo - If I could offer some advice it would be to cool the forum jets a bit with the new threads and do lots of searches - there is a wealth of information posted about the Mooresville area, Lowes, and every area around it... Although the folks here (especially the regulars) can be an awesome source of information, you have to try and balance everything or you will just go out of your mind getting confused.

The best thing you can do is plan to spend time in the area (as much as you can) - nothing you will see online or replies here will even begin to scratch the surface of what it's like to live here. I'd also highly recommend that you don't buy from long distance (or lock into a rent to buy contract)... no matter how awesome the deal looks or how persuasive a realtor is.

One thing you can do is try and decide how much of a commute you'll be willing to accept - that is a major input into the area you ultimately choose. The reason I say this is that the Mooresville area can become very congested and even "in town" drives could be much more then you're used to or expect compared to where you are now. Also remember that commute times are one of the biggest SWAG things you'll see from people posted here - it's rare that you'll get the perfect gauge until you do it yourself.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:41 PM

Okay, I'll stop asking questions and go back to lurking after this one last question.
Austin has a real estate site that lets you search Austin area homes by all the normal criteria but also by subdivision name and school districts.

Is there anything like that for the Charlotte area? I'm wading through Google results with no luck.
We'd like to be able to see everything for sale in Graded School District, or everything for sale in Cherry Grove, etc.

Over and out.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:56 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,684 times
Check out realtor.com

That's a great site which let's you tailor your criteria to exactly what you are looking for. They usually have pictures with each house plus a built in map with aerial views. It also shows all the schools for each home from kindergarten to high school. That's how I found my current home.

And I'd recommend just getting a house in Mooresville if that's where you are going to work. It's a great area right on the edge of the county with cheaper taxes than Mecklenburg, plus you'd be near Lake Norman. There's plenty of shopping out there as well and it's about a 20-25 minute drive from Uptown Charlotte.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:38 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,034,082 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll stop asking questions and go back to lurking after this one last question.
Austin has a real estate site that lets you search Austin area homes by all the normal criteria but also by subdivision name and school districts.

Is there anything like that for the Charlotte area? I'm wading through Google results with no luck.
We'd like to be able to see everything for sale in Graded School District, or everything for sale in Cherry Grove, etc.

Over and out.
Don't disappear! Search! Use the advanced search and put in some of these terms and read all the old threads... Mooresville, Lake Norman, Iredell, Lincoln, Denver, Huntersville, Davidson, Cornelius, Troutman, Statesville - look through all the old "complaint" threads and you get an awesome education.

For searching by subdivision I use CarolinaHome.com or the Allen Tate site... Either will allow you to see some of the popular tract built subdivisions over there - Cherry Grove, Franklin Grove, Foxfield, etc. Be sure to use both MLS areas #12 (Iredell) and #13 (Lake Norman). Some of those subdivisions over there have been crushed value wise (bad!).... and I mean bad. Remember that you always want to look into who built a home. Once you get your Realtor put them to work with questions like that.

Remember that working in Mooresville leaves you great options to find value up into Iredell county and over into Linclon county... If you're OK with a rural setting you should really look into taking advantage of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte