U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:19 AM

4,201 posts, read 13,024,493 times

Advertisements

greetings.....three of us will be visiting from AZ, CA, and NM in the west NC area and neighboring states later in April....though we'll be busy hiking most days (we know about possible weather problems), we'd like to try out locally popular, locally-owned restaurants that serve local "southern" food...BBQ, grits, whatever is popular in the area, but not into catfish or crawdads....we'll be drifting into VA, TN, SC, KY, and GA also....

we do not want chains with headquarters in New York!...unremodeled buildings, bad areas, screaming babies, waitresses that call you "hun" and wear white starched outfits are all positives!!

breakfast, lunch, dinner ideas are welcome....cheap is better than fancy....the community coffee shop-sort of place is the idea

have been in the area before, but it's been many years....

thanks for your ideas....not just Charlotte - all of west NC and bordering areas in other states
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:43 AM

509 posts, read 1,708,376 times
Woodland's Barbeque in Blowing Rock... do NOT miss it!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:33 AM

403 posts, read 812,676 times
Default Visiting NC....Restaurants needed!!

A really good restaurant for Bar-B-Que would be Mac's on South Blvd in Charlotte......I "guarantee" you there is no "Hun" spoken there....or any stiff white uniforms. The baked beans are wonderful!!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,987,957 times
White starched outfits? LOL!!

Charlotte isn't in western NC so you'll probably get more suggestions about that area in the Western NC sub forum.. We are a few hours away from the mountains. While there are area trails (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Park+and+Rec/Activities/Outdoors/Hiking.htm - broken link), the closest elevated hiking is at Crowders Mountain State Park (http://www.crowdersmountain.com/v1/general.asp - broken link) in Kings Mountain, NC.

BBQ is very popular here! Here are some threads about local and regional favorites.

Good BBQ??
Best BBQ joint
Barbecue?

Here are some websites:
Yorkmont Cafe They have a great breakfast special - $3.65: 2 eggs with bacon or sausage or livermush, toast or biscuits, grits or hash browns.
Price's Chicken Coop
The Chicken Box Cafe
Mert's Heart and Soul
Bar-B-Q-King
Mac's Speed Shop - Three locations - Two in Charlotte 1)South Blvd 2) Sandy Porter Rd. and one in Cornelius, NC.

Another great place is Tony's Ice Cream in Gastonia. They have fantastic home made ice cream and a hot grill menu.

Fish Camps are popular in Gaston County. Here are a few
Riverside Fish House - 1341 Dallas Stanley Hwy Dallas, NC 28034
Graham's Fish Fry - 4539 South New Hope Road Gastonia, NC 28054
Twin Tops Fish Camp - 4574 S New Hope Rd Gastonia, NC 28056

If you're up for fast food check out the NC based Cook Out chain. There are several in Charlotte and surrounding towns. They have hamburgers, hot dogs, corn dogs, wraps, chicken nuggets chicken sandwiches and BBQ. They also have a "Creamery" with 36 different types of milkshakes.

Last edited by NCgirl; 03-19-2009 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 AM

403 posts, read 812,676 times
Default Mac's on South Blvd...Charlotte, NC

Mac's is just a really different place that you might like....very busy...use to be an ole drive in restaurant.....you can even sit outside if the weather is good. I stated that there wasn't any "Hun" spoken there....but you requested it as a positive...and I misunderstood that....like I said it is different where bikers to businessmen...to traveling visitors....go there to really enjoy some very good Bar-B-Que......

Old 03-19-2009, 08:56 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,043,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
...unremodeled buildings, bad areas, screaming babies, waitresses that call you "hun" and wear white starched outfits are all positives!!
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought waitresses that call you "hun" the OP thought was a POSITIVE!

Old 03-19-2009, 09:08 AM

26 posts, read 104,353 times
Default Better than Mac's

I would give another opinion of Mac's --- Terrible.

You only have to pull into the parking lot to get agitated. Absolutely no parking unless of course you are riding a Harley. Service was slow/terrible and food was cold but then again so was the beer.

My alternative reccommendations:

Bill Spoons BBQ
The Diamond
The Penguin
Mert's
Ol' Smokehouse
Fenwick's

Old 03-19-2009, 09:10 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,179,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinnative View Post
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought waitresses that call you "hun" the OP thought was a POSITIVE!
That is what I read. It is better to be called "hun" than the often "you guys", when your wife isn't a guy. The "hun" thing is an endearing hospitality custom that I personally like.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,179,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
greetings.....three of us will be visiting from AZ, CA, and NM in the west NC area and neighboring states later in April....though we'll be busy hiking most days (we know about possible weather problems), we'd like to try out locally popular, locally-owned restaurants that serve local "southern" food...BBQ, grits, whatever is popular in the area, but not into catfish or crawdads....we'll be drifting into VA, TN, SC, KY, and GA also....

we do not want chains with headquarters in New York!...unremodeled buildings, bad areas, screaming babies, waitresses that call you "hun" and wear white starched outfits are all positives!!

breakfast, lunch, dinner ideas are welcome....cheap is better than fancy....the community coffee shop-sort of place is the idea

have been in the area before, but it's been many years....

thanks for your ideas....not just Charlotte - all of west NC and bordering areas in other states
Locally owned restaurants are everywhere. You can look at them and get a general impression whether they are what you are looking for. You will not have a problem in that area. Don't quite understand your second paragraph. You said that unremodeled buildings, bad areas, screaming babies, waitresses that call you "hun" and wear white starched outfits are all positives. I am envisioning Mel's Diner in a ghetto. Is that what you are looking for?Please take not that if you don't leave a descent tip, you will likely have the waitress scream, "Kiss my grits!"

P.S. It would be very helpful if we knew your tentative route.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:23 AM

14,693 posts, read 24,758,968 times
http://www.mamaricottasrestaurant.com/ is my favorite place in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte