Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2006, 11:48 AM

112 posts, read 364,475 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering Union County south of Charlotte. Supposedly lower taxes than Charlotte/Meck, better schools and the housing seems plentiful. Given that houses are plentiful, traffic is soon to follow. Is anyone familiar with Providence Road traffic from say, Waxhaw north to 485? Or Rea Rd to 485? Is it worth it from a tax/school perspective to jump over to Fort Mill and head up I-77?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2006, 06:29 PM

540 posts, read 1,706,116 times
i-77 backs up pretty good nb just north of i-485, into uptown.(morning rush that is)
I am moving to Waxhaw (lawson) and will take providence to rea, to 485. Seems like providence was built too small, 1 lane each way - but rea is 2 lanes each way, BUT they are going to be widening providence soon.

Old 06-25-2006, 08:49 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltsig
My wife and I are considering Union County south of Charlotte. Supposedly lower taxes than Charlotte/Meck, better schools and the housing seems plentiful. Given that houses are plentiful, traffic is soon to follow. Is anyone familiar with Providence Road traffic from say, Waxhaw north to 485? Or Rea Rd to 485? Is it worth it from a tax/school perspective to jump over to Fort Mill and head up I-77?

Thanks!
where are you relocating from? I'm not an expert but drove up and down 485,Providence Road, Weddington Rd, Waxhaw-Indian Trail, etc. during all times of the day. It gets backed up during the obvious peek hours, but I wouldn't say it brought the road rage out in me (yet)

Old 06-25-2006, 09:36 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,212,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltsig

Thanks!
Traffic is relative...coming from CA...I don't think the traffic is all that bad...talk to a native...and you will hear a completely different story. Your right though...these roads will get more crowded as time goes on. The roads you speak of (Providence/Rea or) or any of the other roads leading into uptown were never designed for the amount of traffic that they now incur. The 485 does get bogged down during the morning and evening hours headed towards the 77. Coming from Fort Mill...taking the 77 (North) it too starts slowing down around the 485 interchange. Lastly...both locations are nice (Waxhaw or Fort Mill) but with or without traffic Fort Mill is closer to the uptown part of Charlotte...it just really depends on where you will be working at.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:15 PM

112 posts, read 364,475 times
Thanks for the replies. I'll be moving from Tampa eventually (we're in scout mode now) but we're currently in Santa Barbara, CA for a job assignment. Nothing can be like LA traffic (405 anyone?). But traffic is traffic and it annoys me. I'm currently a travelling consultant so living in one place vs. another for the commute isn't critical at the moment. At some point I'll be off the road and will commute to a 9-5'er job, but for now, I'm more worried about high taxes and general everyday traffic.

Thanks again for the insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte