Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,996 times

Advertisements

We are looking into relocating to the Mooresville area. I have a CT teaching license and I have applied for my NC teaching license and I am waiting to hear back. Does anyone have info about how long it takes to get the license and do the schools look at your resume without it? My husband has an E-2 Journeyman electirical license for CT and is looking for a job. Does anyone have any info about the test, etc. He is also looking into Lowes or Home Depot for employment. Any job info would be great. We looked at a house in Troutman in the Georgia Mills development, the builder is Adams Homes. Has anyone used Adams Homes before? Any info would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 10:38 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
The unemployment rate in Iredell county is 11%.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,953 times
Outside of the depressing news folks will tell you, I like the Mooresville area. So if all works well on the job front, it's got a good schools and cool downtown. We have some on-going school budget issues going on just like the rest of the country, but they will still hire a few anyway. Are you planning to teach in Moorseville?

As far as your husband, he may want to look at side jobs if you get your job. Companies aren't hiring much and not a lot of those roles in that area. Electricians are a great resource though, so it may just take them time and if he is willing to diversify.

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,996 times
Iam planning to teach at any school in the Lake Norman area that is hiring. I would prefer to teach around the northern part of the lake,Denver/Troutman/Mooresville or there about.Thanks for your help.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:44 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Michelle, I'll be honest. Do not move here w/o you and your husband having secure employment, AND a 6-12 month emergency fund.

Jobs are extremely hard to find no matter how qualified you are.

If you take a chance, most likely you will regret it.

Just my honest .02......

Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 PM

23 posts, read 74,653 times
Len & Michelle,

Welcome, we love our communities here around Lake Norman and sure ya'll will too. Schools will embrace you and welcome you heartily, good teachers do not just jump out at you anymore. Employment in our area is well below the national average. Qualified professionals can find gainful employment in their field.

Welcome!!

Last edited by mm34b; 03-23-2009 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: Edited to comply with terms of Service.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:54 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
I do not know what is going on with the Mooresville Graded Schools specifically (their plans for next year), but the state is proposing up to a 7% budget cut. I work in Rowan county (next door to Iredell), and they are planning on eliminated over 100 teaching positions next year- this averages to 3-5 per school. I know CMS is talking about eliminating up to (or over) 1000 positions. If this happens, finding a teaching position anywhere in the greater Charlotte area will be near impossible, since the market will be so flooded.

Are you elementary or secondary? You have a much better chance of securing a job if you are secondary. Elementary positions were hard to come by last year. This year it will be much worse.

As for the license, when I moved to NC they didn't even bat an eye at my out of state license. But, with a saturated market, I think it may be becoming a disadvantage. It took about 2-3 months from the time I was hired and applied for my license to get it.

Sorry there is not better news. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:56 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by len+michelle View Post
I would prefer to teach around the northern part of the lake,Denver/Troutman/Mooresville or there about.
Be sure to include the Catawba County schools (just to the west of Iredell County), Lincoln County schools (to the southwest of Iredell), and Rowan County schools (to the east) to your search.

The schools in the close-in parts of these counties are within driving distance to where you want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte