U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:21 PM

21 posts, read 88,727 times

Advertisements

Hi... almost out of time to back out of my contract on a new construction at Monteith Place (Huntersville) by Beazer Homes. Does anyone have any comments of encouragement or discouragement?

When does that train come through - on the tracks that go up Old Statesville Rd? It's not a red eye, is it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 05:40 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,181,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theArgiope View Post
Hi... almost out of time to back out of my contract on a new construction at Monteith Place (Huntersville) by Beazer Homes. Does anyone have any comments of encouragement or discouragement?

When does that train come through - on the tracks that go up Old Statesville Rd? It's not a red eye, is it?
I looked at those homes because I really like that concept; detached homes with no yard maintenance to worry about. However, these are the reasons I choose not to consider that community any longer...

1) Beazer homes has a terrible reputation for poor quality construction. So many people have told me not to look at Beazer homes that I can't even count them all. And I was told this "before" all the negative news articles this past week.

2) The location. That train track, as you mentioned, coupled with that very busy road, turned me off. I don't know what time the train runs, but I've had friends who lived near train tracks (in Uptown) and they said it wasn't pleasant.

3) Finally, the last reason. I rode around in that community and I honestly thought some of the yards looked awful. Not too terrible, not the worst I've seen, but in my opinion, very bad considering your association dues is supposed to go towards yard upkeep (front yards).

So I'm not trying to discourage you from moving there, but these are the reasons I choose to no longer consider that community.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:47 PM

Hmm... thanks for the considerations, Carolina Blue. I've seen both good and bad comments regarding Beazer, but then the same can be said for all the builders. What I'd really like is an old bungalow in Dilworth, but eh, wouldn't most of us. =-) Saussy Burbank has some nice communities I've thought about as well, though they seem to be a dime a dozen.

If you don't mind me asking, what have you decided to go with?

Old 03-27-2007, 05:48 PM

474 posts, read 1,636,656 times
Quote:

To me, it looks like a cheaper (and not in a good way) version of Monteith Park, built by Saussy Burbank. Plus, Beazer has been getting raked over the coals in the local media because of their low build quality and high foreclosure rates in some of their neighborhoods. Personally, I wouldn't touch anything by Beazer.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:05 PM

474 posts, read 1,636,656 times
Default Beazer Under Fed. Investigation

This was just posted on Charlotte.com:

http://charlotte.com/109/story/65086.html (broken link)

Old 03-27-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Hmm... thanks for the considerations, Carolina Blue. I've seen both good and bad comments regarding Beazer, but then the same can be said for all the builders. What I'd really like is an old bungalow in Dilworth, but eh, wouldn't most of us. =-) Saussy Burbank has some nice communities I've thought about as well, though they seem to be a dime a dozen.

If you don't mind me asking, what have you decided to go with?
Well I actually found out I can afford a lot more house than I orginally thought, so now I'm looking at Ryland's Lakeside at Skybrook community in Huntersville. It's the exact same concept; detached homes and your yard maintenance is covered. Their prices start in the $230's, so they are a lot pricer than Monteith Place. I also looked at Monteith Park in Huntersville and was really sold on that community, but for several reasons I've changed gears, as I said.

I honestly don't won't to discourage you from moving to Monteith Place, I was just offering my reasons for why I decided not to go with them. I always say, if other people decide to move somewhere, it can't be all bad.

I'd like to know what you thought about the yards there? Did you notice what I said? If you haven't why don't you go back and look closer and let me know what you think. I'd like to hear a second opinion.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I'd like to know what you thought about the yards there? Did you notice what I said? If you haven't why don't you go back and look closer and let me know what you think. I'd like to hear a second opinion.
Well, my fiancee' commented on the un-extraordinary landscaping/gardening. Also, I've grown somewhat used to the banged-up look of a new construction yard. Seems to be the case with every new construction, even pricey ones (my boss' $800k monster has a horrible yard).

I agree with your comment, but my impression was that it's just a downside of newly developed land. The beautiful yards seem to only be in the established neighborhoods. Nonetheless, you're right about the fact that if our hands are tied by the HOA, we're stuck with whatever they provide - and that may be subpar. That stinks.

Don't worry about discouraging me, the news of an FBI investigation into their mortgage practices, the reality of what happens when neighbors foreclose, and my gut feelings are doing the most of it. Your comments just remind me that I'm a little too excited about getting married this summer and building a first house, so I do need to be paying more attention to such things.

Here's some photos of the model there at Monteith for reference, if you wanted to have a recap of that yard: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68983814@N00/sets/72157594571996039 (broken link)

Last edited by theArgiope; 03-27-2007 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: trying to get a hyperlink onto that URL... ugh, i hate being a rookie

Old 03-27-2007, 07:17 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,300,118 times
It looks like it could be a good neighborhood. The looks are different from the rest of the neighborhoods for sure. The location is a little iffy. The train hardly runs at all. I lived on Main Street in Cornelius a few years ago and the train if it would run would be a couple of carts around noon. Nothing major.

Good Luck!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Here's some photos of the model there at Monteith for reference, if you wanted to have a recap of that yard: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68983814@N00/sets/72157594571996039 (broken link)
I wouldn't look at the model as an example. Remember, models inside and out are always going to look like the best homes in the neighborhood since that's what the company is using to sale its product. I recall seeing some particularly bad yards in the back of the community. If I were you, I'd go back sometime soon (if you can) and look at the yards. Since its Spring, grass should be sprouting up now, so it would be interesting to see how they look. And if the yards weren't seeded properly in the Fall that should start to show too. Again, I would just recommend you go back and drive around, I could have simply picked a bad day.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:08 PM

60 posts, read 116,700 times
with all the articles the observer had over the last week about beazer .I wouldnt buy there
theres more than this but heres 1 link
http://www.charlotte.com/523/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte