U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,110 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm in my mid-20's, and I'm originally from the Charlotte suburbs. I've been in Chicago for a while, and now I'm returning and looking to buy a home in town. My budget will be maxed at 250k. I have found some amazing homes in Noda that fit in my budget and a few (just a few) small fixer uppers in Chantilly. I'm leaning towards Noda for the added space, etc., but I would love to chat with someone that lives in the area about safety concerns. I would be more excited, but I'm worried that the downturn in the economy is going to drastically slow the transition in the area. Any information you can provide me will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 05:02 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,023,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR123 View Post
Hi,
I'm in my mid-20's, and I'm originally from the Charlotte suburbs. I've been in Chicago for a while, and now I'm returning and looking to buy a home in town. My budget will be maxed at 250k. I have found some amazing homes in Noda that fit in my budget and a few (just a few) small fixer uppers in Chantilly. I'm leaning towards Noda for the added space, etc., but I would love to chat with someone that lives in the area about safety concerns. I would be more excited, but I'm worried that the downturn in the economy is going to drastically slow the transition in the area. Any information you can provide me will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!
Probably should have posted under the Charlotte forum....some poeple have probably never heard of NODA or Chantilly....both awesome areas! I would definately choose Chantilly over NODA...Love the gallery crawls in NODA...but safety is a factor.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:18 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,086,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR123 View Post
Hi,
Thanks!!
7oh4 is right, as a young woman alone you DO NOT want to buy in NoDa. The transition of the area has most definitely slowed since last year. Stick with Chantilly, if you can find something in your price range, or perhaps Plaza Midwood, but pass on NoDa for now. Welcome back home!

Old 04-01-2009, 07:20 PM

257 posts, read 620,366 times
Agree with poster above. I would try Chantilly/Elizabeth first, then Plaza and finally NoDa. One good thing about NoDa though is the blue line will have a stop there so it could raise values if you find something cheap.

Also, I am in same boat from Chicago to Charlotte.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:04 AM

157 posts, read 756,752 times
My wife and I have lived in NoDa for over two years. We have a 10 month old daughter, and we absolutely LOVE the area. Would be happy to talk candidly with you and tell you the good and the bad. Send me a message if you are interested.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:23 AM

569 posts, read 1,299,538 times
I have been a resident of Chantilly for several years. If you do not mind giving up a little space then I would stick with Chantilly. Nothing against NoDa (I have friends over there) but I think everyone would agree that Chantilly is much safer. BTW I also moved to Chantilly because my wife did not feel safe around NoDa. It all also depends on what type of lifestyle you desire. Chantilly is much more quiet and there is not as much of a nightlife scene except for over off Thomas St. Personally I would grow tired quickly of the traffic and bar scene near NoDa but that is just me. Both of these areas are great investments and you can not go wrong with either. Good Luck!

Old 04-02-2009, 09:56 AM

157 posts, read 756,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Personally I would grow tired quickly of the traffic and bar scene near NoDa but that is just me.

Traffic?!? Not sure what you are referring to by traffic, but I have to admit, I chuckled when I read that....The OP is moving from Chicago....don't think traffic will be an issue anywhere in Charlotte, let alone tiny little NoDa...

Old 04-02-2009, 09:59 AM

210 posts, read 566,191 times
I'll second the Plaza Midwood & Chantilly suggestions. We like Plaza Midwood a lot & it's still easy to get to NoDa to go out for dinner or drinks. I think Elizabeth will probably be beyond your price range.

Might be able to find a small house in PM or Chantilly for that, especially from someone who needs to sell or if it hasn't been tricked out with granite countertops, whirlpool bath, etc.

Even better, rent first -- there are a number of for rent signs, and you could get to know those neighborhoods. The $$ & inconvenience for the extra in-town move is well worth it to make the right decision on which neighborhood to buy in.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:11 AM

210 posts, read 566,191 times
If your budget is $250k to buy, that monthly payment ($1,400?) could rent you a nice place while you look around. For example, here's nice house I found on Craigslist Craigslist in Midwood for $1200/mo.

2 BA Plaza Midwood (http://charlotte.craigslist.org/apa/1097316956.html - broken link)

This is in heart of neighborhood -- be careful of places that claim to be in any of these neighborhoods (PM, Chantilly, NoDa) but are really only nearby.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 AM

45,246 posts, read 94,086,477 times
Consider contacting one of our regular posters, LAMF, who would be HAPPY to tell you about his experience in owning a home in NoDa, I'm sure.

The sad thing is, it is a BEAUTIFUL home that he hasn't been able to get rid of in over a year since he fled it and the crack dealers who threatened him and caused him to need a gun at all times.

I'd also be happy to put you in touch with my friends who were robbed in their driveway walking home from dinner early one evening. Both had guns put to the back of their heads as they were forced to kneel on the concrete and believed they were truly about to be murdered.

I call this neighborhood one fit for "urban pioneers" only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte