U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 PM

79 posts, read 203,159 times

Advertisements

I need advice with regards to IDEA and special education laws in this area (union county), specifically ADHD.

I know parent advocates exsist for this type of thing, but need help finding one.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 06:17 PM

28 posts, read 134,514 times
Are you just needing information about the laws and Union county regulations or are you wanting someone to attend the IEP meetings, act as a mediator, speak with the school district, etc?

Old 04-06-2009, 07:46 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,738,983 times
Please check out the Children with Special Needs forum at UnionCountyMommies.com

Someone will be able to direct you appropriately.

Good luck!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:54 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,943,053 times
I hope that you have better luck than I did!! Yes, it was a few years ago, but, I could not get teachers to even acknowledge that my son had ADHD and that it was an actual illness.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 17,617 times
Davidson has the ECAC parent advisory center. They can provide free advise.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,259 times
Default Disability Advocate in Oklahoma

I represent children with disabilities in Oklahoma. My web site is : DisabilityAdvocateOk.com. My number is : 877-324-KIDS(5437).

George McCaffrey, JD

Old 05-06-2009, 01:40 AM

332 posts, read 1,374,810 times
IDEA and other education laws are Federal statutes. They can be easily accessed online and they are one of the few (at least pre-NCLB) Federal mandates concerning public education. They MUST be upheld by all schools receiving public funds.

My suggestion in approaching your situation is to first realize and identify all of the stakeholders involved with your child and their condition. Educators and mental health practitioners are different species.... generally. As a parent, they sometimes assume that you speak their languages even though they don't speak more than their own. Once you know who the players are... and their roles, you can better position yourself as an advocate for your child.

The goals of a teacher and a clinician are wholly the well being of your child... but individually... they are different because their training and understanding is different.

I guess I'm sharing this because I understand what an emotionally charged situation this can be when a child's welfare is on the line... I just wanted to chime in and say that it's very likely everyone has your child's best interests at heart... it's just that each person involved will hold on to an interest in a different piece of your child's progress.

in short, the steps I'd use...

1. firm up a clinical diagnosis for your child (whether you endorse or reject the ADHD diagnosis)

2. secure a treatment plan based upon this diagnosis (this will tell you whether or not the provider recommends accommodations)

3. put a copy of the treatment plan/report in your child's file OR if you want it confidential from teachers, give only to school counselor/school social worker/school principal/school psychologist (it will go in a special module of the file with limited access)

at this stage, the school must follow the treatment plan of the diagnostic professional (as long as you have a report from a qualified, experienced licensed professional... from MD to PhD to occasionally master's level providers depending on their credentials)... there will be paperwork for you to sign and the school will need to initiate either an IEP process or a 504 process... to make things official... you will be called to a team meeting to review the outcomes

now, if you still aren't receiving the services your child needs (or you feel he needs), you have something to revisit...

this will give you more room to decide where your attention needs to be focused for adjustments... if the diagnosis is the issue... you go back to the licensed professional... if the implementation is the issue, you go back to the schools... occasionally, the licensed professional will be within a school... but that depends on your district

you might have already done all of these things... and if so, i apologize for wasting your time with the read... either way, thanks for letting me share... i'm exhausted, stressed, and battling a nasty virus so my brain is mush... this helps it remain from totally melting

Good luck with the process.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,078 times
I need a parent advocate to attend an IEP meeting with me this May here in Cary, N.C. I am looking for someone who does this free of charge if they even exist in this area of the south. Can someone please help me as the h.s. here in Cary is not upholding my child's IEP and lying about this in the grievance process. I do not trust that they will implement or address what is pertinent and important in the upcoming annual IEP as they are inept liars. Please if anyone has or knows of a parent advocate who will attend and mediate a correct IEP which will correspond with FAPE it would be appreciated greatly.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:35 AM

972 posts, read 2,306,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmas View Post
I need a parent advocate to attend an IEP meeting with me this May here in Cary, N.C. I am looking for someone who does this free of charge if they even exist in this area of the south. Can someone please help me as the h.s. here in Cary is not upholding my child's IEP and lying about this in the grievance process. I do not trust that they will implement or address what is pertinent and important in the upcoming annual IEP as they are inept liars. Please if anyone has or knows of a parent advocate who will attend and mediate a correct IEP which will correspond with FAPE it would be appreciated greatly.
You need to ask in the Raleigh forum. The WCPSS also has advocates on staff who will come to bat on YOUR side. We had their help many times.

Also, try contacting UNC-CH. They may be able to connect you with grad students who can help out. Many times, they are actually older experienced professionals who are taking a leave to finish a PhD.

Finally, and this will cost, go to one of the psy testing centers around town. Nearest to Cary I can think of is 3-C's testing. That route will cost quite a bit, but they will provide you with extensive test results and a neuropsych report that WCPSS can't ignore. Once you are in with them, they will also go to bat for your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte