U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:25 AM

13,808 posts, read 25,944,879 times

Advertisements

Southern Gold is a local seed invented here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 AM

393 posts, read 1,138,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Any thoughts on my plan so far? Advice? Mistakes I've made?

Any thoughts on the brands? Do I really need one designated for Deep Shade when it appears to be the same grass seed as the other one? Both Tall Fescue and 99.9% weed free.
Your plan sounds fine. Keep the sod watered until it is rooted. Gently pull on the sod. If its does not pull up, its rooted. Start to water deep and infrequent.
I would aerate the entire yard in the fall and overseed. Then follow the schedule.

With seed, you get what you pay for. I like Rebel 100% fescue or Scotts. All you need is 100% tall fescue (not Kentucky-31 fescue) that's 99.9% weed free. Compare prices, you will see the cheaper stuff is usually a blend of fescue and ryegrass or Kentucky-31 and often not 99.9% weed free. Spluge if you must, you will see a difference.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:17 AM

973 posts, read 3,194,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uber_bwnage View Post
Your plan sounds fine. Keep the sod watered until it is rooted. Gently pull on the sod. If its does not pull up, its rooted. Start to water deep and infrequent.
I would aerate the entire yard in the fall and overseed. Then follow the schedule.

With seed, you get what you pay for. I like Rebel 100% fescue or Scotts. All you need is 100% tall fescue (not Kentucky-31 fescue) that's 99.9% weed free. Compare prices, you will see the cheaper stuff is usually a blend of fescue and ryegrass or Kentucky-31 and often not 99.9% weed free. Spluge if you must, you will see a difference.

Thank you!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:01 PM

61 posts, read 107,543 times
Ok, the million dollar question; how much does all the fertilizer, turfbuilder, and whatnot cost. I have about .33 of an acre, and TruGreen comes out and sprays seven times a year, I pay approx. $60 an application (aerating and seeding are extra). I'd love to stop paying them so much, but I just don't know if it would be cost effective, nor do I know if the results would be appreciably better by doing it myself.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:40 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,033,877 times
uber, what's your opinion on whether to bag grass clippings or leave them on your lawn?

I always bag them, however every time I look at landscapers, they don't bag, and the lawn looks great...

Is the "thatch" that builds up an issue or not?

Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 PM

277 posts, read 632,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
uber, what's your opinion on whether to bag grass clippings or leave them on your lawn?

I always bag them, however every time I look at landscapers, they don't bag, and the lawn looks great...

See publication for information on mowing.

http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publ...F/FSA-6023.pdf

Old 04-11-2009, 10:40 PM

211 posts, read 678,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89quattro View Post
See publication for information on mowing.

http://www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publ...F/FSA-6023.pdf

Thanks, good bermudagrass info there...

So 89 quatto? 80, 90, 100?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Don't bag'em. Grass clippings are a free source of high-nitrogen that will make your grass greener.
Aerating cures any thatch buildup, so if you aerate annually in the fall, thatch will never be a problem.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post
Ok, the million dollar question; how much does all the fertilizer, turfbuilder, and whatnot cost. I have about .33 of an acre, and TruGreen comes out and sprays seven times a year, I pay approx. $60 an application (aerating and seeding are extra). I'd love to stop paying them so much, but I just don't know if it would be cost effective, nor do I know if the results would be appreciably better by doing it myself.
My lot is a about the same size as yours. I buy a large bag (the one that covers 15,000 sq. ft.) of each type of fertilizer. That will get me two years per bag.

The average cost is about $20 per application of fertilizer (plus $20 one-time to buy a spreader if you don't have one). Seed is dependent on your need ($50 at the most once a year) and an aerator cost about $60 to rent for one day but you can split the use with a neighbor or two and each pay a piece. (I have 4 neighbors that I rent an aerator with so it cost us about $20 each a year to aerate our lawns).

I though about Trugreen myself, but the cost was much less for me to do it myself. The toughest part of DIY is the timing of when to apply the fertilizer. My advise would be mark on your calender when the Trugreen by comes. Then just copy the timing for your lawn, or just follow my guide in the first post.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:48 AM

157 posts, read 768,989 times
Uber,

Great post. Any chance you have pictures of your lawn? Would love to see what my lawn "could look like" if I follow your direction...

TIA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte