U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:05 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,542,651 times

Advertisements

Uber- do you think its too early to start killing weeds? Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 11:44 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,872,472 times
Just an FYI to everyone. I have three neighbors who use a product called "Aerify Plus" from a company called "Natures Lawn". They have a website, check out the details on the product. There lawns look A LOT better then mine. I have not tried this product, but intend to try it shortly.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:12 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,545,381 times
Okay, missed the boat on overseeding last year, hopefully it's not too late this year. A couple questions though:

1. Is it too late?
2. Have some patches that are pure weeds, hardly any grass. Should we use a Round Up type weed killer before overseeding? Or will this prevent seed from growing?
4. We have no idea what kind of grass we have. Mostly crabgrass, lol. Can we just pick the best seed for what we want, or do we have to match it? There some patches of nice, thin-bladed, fluffy grass, but don't know what type that would be...
5. The plan was to use Round Up on weeds, cut the grass really short, aerate, scatter seed, then water every day to keep moist... does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help me out here!!

Old 11-13-2009, 10:28 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,872,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanuaryGirl View Post
Okay, missed the boat on overseeding last year, hopefully it's not too late this year. A couple questions though:

1. Is it too late?
2. Have some patches that are pure weeds, hardly any grass. Should we use a Round Up type weed killer before overseeding? Or will this prevent seed from growing?
4. We have no idea what kind of grass we have. Mostly crabgrass, lol. Can we just pick the best seed for what we want, or do we have to match it? There some patches of nice, thin-bladed, fluffy grass, but don't know what type that would be...
5. The plan was to use Round Up on weeds, cut the grass really short, aerate, scatter seed, then water every day to keep moist... does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help me out here!!

I'm no lawn expert, but everything I've read says NOT to cut grass short. To use the highest setting on mower.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:33 PM

415 posts, read 1,093,924 times
Here's a followup to a question I posed much earlier on the thread. I moved into my newly constructed home in August. Front lawn and sides were sodded, and the grass is doing well.

Backyard was seeded/straw. I've done some work on it, and the grass is looking OK, though a little thin. The problem is that the ground gets really "mushy" after rain.

I assume that when the grass gets better established, the mushiness problem will get better. I'd also like to apply some organic material to top-dress the lawn and help condition the soil.

Any recommendations for that? Something I can apply with a spreader would be ideal.

TIA

Old 02-18-2012, 10:26 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,542,651 times
This is still my favorite thread on CD. I am wondering if anyone is putting down their Turfbuilder or crabgrass control right now? I have seen the lawn trucks out this past week putting something down?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,844,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
This is still my favorite thread on CD. I am wondering if anyone is putting down their Turfbuilder or crabgrass control right now? I have seen the lawn trucks out this past week putting something down?
We put out crabgrass control several weeks ago. The second application will go down in another couple weeks. You can put yours out now if you haven't already.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:15 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,529,321 times
I went a bought a bag of Scotts Turfbuilder with crabgrass preventer at Lowes yesterday and applied it yesterday before the rain came today! Hopefully it will start to "green" my lawn up soon!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM

8,777 posts, read 13,131,734 times
Is anybody over-seeding this Spring? I know that the Fall is the best time to do this, but I missed the boat.

I'm thinking about doing the crabgrass preventer and fertilizer now, then overseeding in March with a starter fertilizer?

Or I may just call in a service and have them take it over.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 PM

248 posts, read 716,607 times
I've read that laying down any kind of pre-emergentin te spring cancels out overseeding in the spring.

A month ago I sprayed some weed killer on the back lawn and then sprayed the really tough ones with Roundup later. I waited about three weeks and then had the yard aerated and fertilized and aerated. Also laid down some lime.

The grass I already have is starting to look green and starting to grow very fast. It will bea couple of weeks before I start seeign results on the new grass. But it's worked for me before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte