U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 10,903 times

Advertisements

I recently accepted a position at UNCC and will be relocating to Charlotte in August.

I have done quite a bit of Internet searching to get a feel for housing.

Based on suggestions from Charlotte natives and transplants, I am looking in Cabarrus County and Huntersville.

Given what I have read, Cabarrus County may be the better option (lower taxes, good schools, close to campus).

I am narrowing down to Concord and Harrisburg as places to look in May, 2009 when I come to visit the area.

I am meeting with a representative from Cabarrus County schools and will visit the schools while I am there. The representative feels that Wolf Meadow elementary might be a good fit for my daughter's special needs.

Any suggestions on where I might find rental housing ( or good websites to look at) near the part of Cabarrus County that would be close to this school and not far from UNCC? I plan to rent for the first year or so and buy a home after we have a better feel for Charlotte.

Looking for a 4 bedroom single family house with a yard.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 06:20 AM

327 posts, read 1,118,598 times
Charlotte has a pretty decent rental home market. I'd first try one of the more popular rental agencies such as TR Lawing, Henderson Properties, Meca, etc. Also take a look at craigslist. A drive through the area when you are visiting in May will also go a long way to helping you find a place. Many home owners simply put a sign on the front lawn.

I would advise that you stay clear of anything too close to UNCC, as those rentals a usually dominated by students.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:39 AM

393 posts, read 1,107,696 times
I worked at UNCC for two months (won't say where, but it was on the Administration side) until I quit for another job.
Worst job I ever had. That place has some serious issues...and some serious morons.
Good luck.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:55 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,418,754 times
LOL. What government job doesnt?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:28 AM

44 posts, read 143,231 times
Default Gastonia

Check out Gastonia,Bethesda Oaks off Tittman Road in Gastonia is a new community with very good deals if you decide to build and a few homes for sale now. 5 minutes to I-85 and 35 minutes to UNCC.
Gastonia is a very nice community,SAFE!! my wife works for the Gastonia Police so I should know.
Check it out.

Cheers

Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks this is very helpful.. Quite by chance I inquired about properties managed by some of these companies and they were able to direct me to their full listings. I think I will have no trouble at all locating something that fits our needs. Best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
Charlotte has a pretty decent rental home market. I'd first try one of the more popular rental agencies such as TR Lawing, Henderson Properties, Meca, etc. Also take a look at craigslist. A drive through the area when you are visiting in May will also go a long way to helping you find a place. Many home owners simply put a sign on the front lawn.

I would advise that you stay clear of anything too close to UNCC, as those rentals a usually dominated by students.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:05 AM

Default Thanks

I will check into it. I have seen Gastonia come up in a few of my searches. Appreciate the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robster View Post
Check out Gastonia,Bethesda Oaks off Tittman Road in Gastonia is a new community with very good deals if you decide to build and a few homes for sale now. 5 minutes to I-85 and 35 minutes to UNCC.
Gastonia is a very nice community,SAFE!! my wife works for the Gastonia Police so I should know.
Check it out.

Cheers

Old 04-15-2009, 09:07 AM

Default Sorry

Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience. Am certainly hopeful that mine will be better.

Hope you are happy with your new position.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber_bwnage View Post
I worked at UNCC for two months (won't say where, but it was on the Administration side) until I quit for another job.
Worst job I ever had. That place has some serious issues...and some serious morons.
Good luck.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 AM

45,246 posts, read 94,081,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regglohia View Post
I will check into it. I have seen Gastonia come up in a few of my searches. Appreciate the help.
Nothing against Gastonia, but living there and commuting up to UNCC would not be the best of commutes. You'd do much better staying in Cabarrus County or at least somewhere north of uptown Charlotte.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:04 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tip. My goal is to be within 15-20 minutes of work, school for the kids, and church. I have had a 2 hour commute for the last two years. Looking forward to not having to do that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Nothing against Gastonia, but living there and commuting up to UNCC would not be the best of commutes. You'd do much better staying in Cabarrus County or at least somewhere north of uptown Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte