Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 04:11 PM

345 posts, read 871,505 times

Advertisements

I need to get my car serviced. need to replace water pump, flush transmission fluid, power steering fluid..etc.

Dealer estimates are way high..checked good year, and another local service..can't afford their charges.

What's with 240$ for water pump? pump cost about 90$, service is 150, woh..75$/hr service charge.

I bought my car new, never had any problems this is first time I'm getting some work done (it has about 65K miles)..but what's with the service charge 75$/hr isn't it too high?

Any reasonable service providers in charlotte? Preferably university area.

Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkn006 View Post
I need to get my car serviced. need to replace water pump, flush transmission fluid, power steering fluid..etc.

Dealer estimates are way high..checked good year, and another local service..can't afford their charges.

What's with 240$ for water pump? pump cost about 90$, service is 150, woh..75$/hr service charge.

I bought my car new, never had any problems this is first time I'm getting some work done (it has about 65K miles)..but what's with the service charge 75$/hr isn't it too high?

Thanks a bunch.
You can check prices at the discount stores like autozone and get a remanufactored pump for much less. On many camrys you have to replace the timming belt at milage close to 65K. Im not sure but if the water pump is located behind the belt cover and turned by this belt you need to replace it too. Go to the auto city data forum and get more details on time time/cost.It would pay you to get a service manual and then you will know what the mechanic has to do to earn his money.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:07 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,140,968 times
I did some checking and this price if it includes replacing the belt also is pretty close to the going price, If the engine is a 4 cylinder the price should be less than 200. If you were told that for just the pump you are being ripped...No mechanic would replace just the pump with 65k on the belt. It would be stupid . Get more prices .

Old 09-27-2009, 06:21 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,794 times
Call Phillips Auto care @ 704 525-1995

Not sure what they will charge BUT they are trust worthy.

Old 09-27-2009, 06:54 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Ya, the dealer is ALWAYS going to be higher than local shops. I always use Gerard Automotive but they are downtown so they are probably not going to be a good alternative for you.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:31 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,462 times
That's surprising for a Toyota, especially at 65000 miles. I had a toyota pickup for 12 years with 140,000ish miles on it with the original water pump.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:22 PM

26 posts, read 57,532 times
Default Car Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkn006 View Post

Thanks a bunch.
Don't know if you have actually gone to the Toyota dealership on Independence Blvd., by matthews, surprised at their pricing and customer service. Best experience and service, and PRICE!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:04 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debdiego View Post
Don't know if you have actually gone to the Toyota dealership on Independence Blvd., by matthews, surprised at their pricing and customer service. Best experience and service, and PRICE!

I went their a few weeks ago. I thought I was going in for there brake special at $99.00. I ended up paying over $500.00. They said my rotors were badly rusted and that they could not cut them. So, I ended up replacing rotors AND brakes. Guaranteed I could have purchased the rotors and put them on myself and it would have been a lot cheaper, but who has the time?

Not there fault. But, the service was excellent

Old 10-04-2009, 06:05 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,963 times
^The purpose of advertising a $99 brake special is to get your car in the garage so they can actually sell you a $500 brake special. They know that most people won't leave at that point. This is a big money maker for car dealers in Charlotte. A complete brake job on a Toyota should not cost 1/2 that.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:35 PM

345 posts, read 871,505 times
Default Got some work done at Pepboys

I got some work done at Pepboys. They seem reasonable in comparison to dealer, AAA, Precision tune, firestone etc..

My car tires are choppy..firestone people says it's because of bad struts, dealer says it's tires, other mechanic says both..I'm confused. How can it be different for each. Choppy tires are making lot of noise when I drive my car over 30/40mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte