U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:01 PM

160 posts, read 428,916 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been through the interview process at CMS or elsewhere in NC? How difficult is it to get interviews, and how difficult is the interview process in general?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 PM

529 posts, read 1,885,061 times
Given the nature of the economy, it will be tough to get interviews. However, if you do, they are mainly about you and how you are as a teacher and classroom leader. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 PM

Are they as brutal as on Long Island? By brutal I mean that here you can't get an interview unless you have an in. If you have an in, you may get an initial interview, then you may be called back to interview with a board of 10-12 people, then if you make it through that they call you back for something with the principal and maybe a few others, then if you get through that they'll call you back for a demo lesson, and so on and so forth. You may be called back 10 to 12 times and still not get the job. All the while you are competing with an insane amount of people.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:34 PM

45,245 posts, read 95,428,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan75 View Post
Has anyone been through the interview process at CMS or elsewhere in NC? How difficult is it to get interviews, and how difficult is the interview process in general?
Much depends on your specialization. Are you an art teacher or a math teacher for instance?

Old 04-25-2009, 05:32 AM

364 posts, read 1,104,923 times
I interviewed 2 years ago, and found it laughable at how "easy" the interview was compared to MI. In MI we also had panel interviews with principals, teachers, and sometimes parents. Sometimes these were videotaped for further review later. We had to design and teach a lesson in a 2nd interview. It was very intense. More like grilling than "interviewing". Here, I interviewed with Union and Cabarrus County. Both we very laid back, talking about teaching, philosophy, etc. With the times, I don't know how difficult it will be to get in. I just mailed my resumes directly to school's that I was interested in and I got tons of phone calls.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:47 AM

841 posts, read 1,326,733 times
I think the issue many may find is with the interview process but rather the fact that many schools are on a hiring freeze and may even be laying some people off. I've never seen it this bad in education.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:51 AM

210 posts, read 477,168 times
I was at a job fair for teachers in Forsyth County last weekend, and the number of people in line was amazing! More than they had seen in a long time. My licensure is in Consumer Economics, and one person I spoke with said I was the only one she had seen that day.

But the other subject areas? Tons of applicants.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:38 AM

I'm in special education. I also have NY certification in literacy and elementary ed. I'm not sure if that will help me or hurt me at this point.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:56 AM
LLN

5,234 posts, read 9,905,014 times
I interviewed a new teacher candidate yesterday.

Our county had a job fair several weeks ago, our principal and asst principal attended. Our school has a great rep, and she was swamped by candidates. I am not sure how many she invited for interviews, but we are interviewing 6 for the position on my team.

Our county has a stringent interview form with scripted questions and weights and scoring. We did not bother to use that. I scoff at rules like that.

Teaching boils down to motivation and management. We look for a fit, someone who will fit with the team, and who demonstrates a good knowledge of how to manage middle schoolers. We did not focus a lot on lesson plans, and all that academic stuff, since, face it, middle school academics are not rocket science.

The candidate demonstrated a good grasp of techniques and theory in his field, but was very high strung and talked at 200 mph.

I, from my side of the table, would judge our interview as very laid back, but the person being interviewed was petrified.

A couple of points for you looking for jobs and going to job fairs:

1) Your initial conversation is all important. Convey why you want to teach at the school and what you can contribute. Though I do not coach, saying you will coach, and meaning it, is a huge plus.

2) Do not bug the principal. Several people made numerous trips through the line, and kept asking about an interview and when they would get a call. They wont.

3) Do not call the principal every day, asking about the interview schedule. That just makes the person you want to hire you, mad. It does not convey enthusiasm, it does not convey you are a go getter, it conveys you are a PITA. I am surprised more candidates do not know this, but a THANK YOU NOTE to the principal, for talking to you, is all you need.

4) Be able to explain your resume, summarize it briefly, but be ready to respond, in depth to questions. I expect in most cases, questions are asked for a specific reason.

5) Middle school and I expect all principals are very very busy. Respect their time.

Good Luck.

PS: All the folks who flocked to Social Studies since it was not tested are screwed. You have little hope unless you are dual certified.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:44 AM

PS: All the folks who flocked to Social Studies since it was not tested are screwed. You have little hope unless you are dual certified.[/quote]

Do you think that having 3 certifications (although they are NY certs) will be helpful? Keep in mind my certifications are all on the primary and elementary level. Some people around here feel that having a Masters only hurts you because they have to pay you more money so they would rather take a recent graduate with bachelors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>