Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times

Advertisements

FYI, there are some incredible deals in Hidden Valley - check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 11:13 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,551,196 times
From what everyone here on this forum has recently told me, hidden valley neighborhood is a nice and diverse location with some really good buys.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:15 AM

38 posts, read 86,983 times
What about North Cha. up around Harris Blvd between 77 and 85?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:17 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomlessTraveler View Post
What about North Cha. up around Harris Blvd between 77 and 85?
General rule of thumb is to stay north of Harris Blvd. Which neighborhoods did you have in mind?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:20 AM

See thats the problem I don't know the specific neighborhoods I'm just looking in the general area and finding a lot of "cheap" homes.

Is Huntersville a huge difference in safety and nice neighborhoods from that of Charlotte in those price ranges?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:21 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
Quote:
Actually to me its a good thing but is it too good to be true?

I along with my future wife will be first time home buyers and we are absolutely amazed at how inexpensive homes are in and around the Charlotte area. I look online and find pages and pages of 3-4 bedroom homes with 2-3 baths for well under 120K. A lot of them are beautiful.

Am I correct in thinking that we can literally purchase our first home (which looks more like our dream home compared to what we can get in Roanoke, VA) for under 120K and still be in a great/safe neighborhood close to all the action?

amazed.................please don't burst my bubble
The old 4th Ward Square Apartments are being turned into condos and sold 140 of them in 2 weeks, there are still about 25 left. That's not bad considering...

Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
See thats the problem I don't know the specific neighborhoods I'm just looking in the general area and finding a lot of "cheap" homes.

Is Huntersville a huge difference in safety and nice neighborhoods from that of Charlotte in those price ranges?
Huntersville would be a very good choice for you. They have a wider range of nice homes in more affordable prices than other parts of Charlotte. Huntersville is considered pretty safe and is apparently a nice place to live from all the posters who reference loving living there

Old 05-06-2009, 11:29 AM

Ok so the cheaper houses I have found have been up around Harris Blvd and out around 485.

What kind of random crime are we talking here when "not safe" is what these areas are labeled. I realize its a neighborhood by neighborhood issue or even more specifically a street by street issue but what are we talking out of curiosity?

Keep in mind we don't have children and would have a good 6-8 years before we'd have to worry about school systems.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:29 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times
Homeless, the closer you get to Harris from the side you are looking on the better. Not sure about the area you posted in the first link. I didn't like it when I looked around. There is a newer subdivision back there. There may be 2 or three. Not saying it is not safe... but I didn't like it. I would check it out.

I would also check out the subdivisions off Hubbard Road. The allentate website actually lets you search by subdivision.

Again, a bunch of folks will try to tell you NE Charlotte is dangerous. Ive been here 4 years now and I love it! Close to the freeway, shopping and grocery stores.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Ok so the cheaper houses I have found have been up around Harris Blvd and out around 485.

What kind of random crime are we talking here when "not safe" is what these areas are labeled. I realize its a neighborhood by neighborhood issue or even more specifically a street by street issue but what are we talking out of curiosity?

Keep in mind we don't have children and would have a good 6-8 years before we'd have to worry about school systems.
Without specific neighborhood names it is harder to tell you anything. What I can tell you is there are a few problem starter neighborhoods off I485 that have VERY high foreclosure rates, this is why the homes are so cheap now. The problem is, high foreclosure neighborhoods have higher crime rates - drugs, break-ins, car thefs etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte