Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:16 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Good point Ani. Note to Baybrook: This is the kind of information I look for from smart people such as Ani, Loves and a half a dozen other people on this forum.

There's a lot to learn here if you keep an open mind.
je
I'm so glad some of the posters on this board have been able to teach you a few things. I've learned a few things here as well. Like if you pull the numbers for the entire city of Charlotte, the drop using your quarters appears to be the same. So whatever is happening in 28269 is happening all over the city of Charlotte. If that means something other than the obvious, I'm sure someone will let us know.

And since you pointed out my typos... the screen name is BayBOOK. That wouldn't show up when you ran your spell checker. ;-)

Last edited by baybook; 05-07-2009 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: edited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 05:06 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
ok, squabbling aside.

Foreclosures in a neighbourhod might be bad today. Hopefully, they are being sold to stable people, so, that won't be necessarily bad tomorrow. (or 5-10 years down the road).

I would also stay away from the planned neighbourhoods and try to find homes that are not constrained by an HOA. There are a lot of them in the north Charlotte area. They are more beautiful and have lots of mature trees and are mostly brick homes. The houses may need some updating, (as they are older) but, then, you can make the house yours.

I live in north Charlotte...east of 85. I love it here, very diverse area, close to everything. The only "issue" that I have is when it is race week; traffic becomes a bear. (twice a year) Really not a big deal!! Just learn to (gasp!) hate NASCAR. (J/K)

Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I'm so glad some of the posters on this board have been able to teach you a few things. I've learned a few things here as well. Like if you pull the numbers for the entire city of Charlotte, the drop using your quarters appears to be the same. So whatever is happening in 28269 is happening all over the city of Charlotte. If that means something other than the obvious, I'm sure someone will let us know.

And since you pointed out my typos... the screen name is BayBOOK. That wouldn't show up when you ran your spell checker. ;-)
I learned something from this post. Alltho I only had time to check 2-3 zip codes to verify your info it seems to be the case percentage-wise.Of course I was startled by a number of 1100 dropping to 100 sales. That % seems to be the same compared to a zip code that I checked that went from 400 to 30. sales. Thanks for pointing that out to me.
je

Old 05-08-2009, 08:23 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomlessTraveler View Post
Actually to me its a good thing but is it too good to be true?

I along with my future wife will be first time home buyers and we are absolutely amazed at how inexpensive homes are in and around the Charlotte area. I look online and find pages and pages of 3-4 bedroom homes with 2-3 baths for well under 120K. A lot of them are beautiful.

Am I correct in thinking that we can literally purchase our first home (which looks more like our dream home compared to what we can get in Roanoke, VA) for under 120K and still be in a great/safe neighborhood close to all the action?

amazed.................please don't burst my bubble
I don't mean to be discouraging, but you will not find a nice home in a nice neighborhood with the features you mentioned for under $120,000 in Charlotte. Maybe in the $160-$180K range?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
This new map of sales by zip code may be of interest to some of you.

To me it proves the old adage about real estate, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATON.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/661/story/501993.html (broken link)

Old 05-08-2009, 12:29 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Nice pc. of info Loves. That's what I mean about learning something every day from this site.
Thanks
John

Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This new map of sales by zip code may be of interest to some of you.

To me it proves the old adage about real estate, LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATON.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/661/story/501993.html (broken link)
Although I do agree that location does matter a great deal in terms of RE, however this map is misleading in many ways.

The range ends in 2008. That is light years away from where we are now (2009) in terms of pricing, and pricing will continue to track downwards for the foreseeable future.

Stella Hopkins should've worked a little harder and given us up to date figures, also she should've balanced the article by advising that in many zip codes, homes sales are at levels not seen since before 2000 (ie zip code #28277). This ultimately will have a major continued pull down in prices.

Of course we get another article from people who just cut and paste from biased sources like reps from the NAR and Donna Anderson of the CRRA....

Old 05-08-2009, 01:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post

Of course we get another article from people who just cut and paste from biased sources like reps from the NAR and Donna Anderson of the CRRA....
Jack, was this ugly remark REALLY necessary?

There was a discussion on this thread earlier about zip codes, I saw the article and thought it would be interesting. I think we can all see it ended with data from the end of 2008. While it may not be up to the minute info it does show a pattern of how things have been going. I have no clue who "Donna Anderson" is

Old 05-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Jack, was this ugly remark REALLY necessary?

:
Loves, I wasn't talking about you. Sorry for the confusion.

I was talking about Stella Hopkins who wrote the article for the Observer. My beef was w/her...(copying and pasting old data from the CMLS)

Old 05-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I have no clue who "Donna Anderson" is
She is the president of the Carolina Realtors Association and who is frequently quoted in these types of articles.

She is the Associations equivalent of Lawrence Yun of the NAR. ANY data she will spin into making it sound good....(ie we are only DOWN 28% YOY instead of being down 30% YOY in terms of sales.....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte