U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 14,467 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we moved here from CA last year and have yet to find a good Mexican restaurant. They all serve Queso cheese, which I never came across in CA other than on the cheap nachos at a gas station or a ball park. You should have seen the look on the waiters face at El Cancun in Rock Hill when my wife asked for melted cheddar on her nachos instead of the queso. She got half melted cheddar with queso under it…. We have tried El Cancun, Zapatas, On the Border, and a few others. Can anyone recommend an authentic cantina style restaurant in the South Charlotte area?
Also, we have not been able to find any corn tortillas. My wife likes to make taco shells when we have tacos and we can only find flour or the pre-made taco shells in a box.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 01:37 PM

539 posts, read 1,423,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakejcarter View Post
Hi all, we moved here from CA last year and have yet to find a good Mexican restaurant. They all serve Queso cheese, which I never came across in CA other than on the cheap nachos at a gas station or a ball park. You should have seen the look on the waiters face at El Cancun in Rock Hill when my wife asked for melted cheddar on her nachos instead of the queso. She got half melted cheddar with queso under it…. We have tried El Cancun, Zapatas, On the Border, and a few others. Can anyone recommend an authentic cantina style restaurant in the South Charlotte area?
Also, we have not been able to find any corn tortillas. My wife likes to make taco shells when we have tacos and we can only find flour or the pre-made taco shells in a box.
Harris Teeter carries corn tortillas, I bought a bag last week. In Indian Trail there is a place called La Unica that we love, I believe thay also have a location in Concord.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:40 PM

168 posts, read 479,250 times
I cant think of the name right now, but there is a great little place next to Trader Joes off Rea Road in Piper Glen. Pretty authentic.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:44 PM

382 posts, read 1,821,084 times
i'm not sure what you will like, but i can tell you that i really like Salsas (corner of Hwy 51 & Carmel) and Cantina (Stonecrest or East Blvd).

Old 05-11-2009, 01:46 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,289,618 times
+1 on La Unica,

Also Taqeuria La Mexico on S. Blvd rocks too. Not sure it is the cantina experience you are looking for, but definitely authentic food.

You might also try Cantina 1511 (on East Blvd, not the one in Stonecrest). That might be closer to what you are looking for. Now, I've not seen nachos that come with cheddar, in a cantina, but I haven't really looked that closely. Love me some queso though.

Corn tortillas are pretty easy to find Harris Teeter I know sells them, I know Food Lion sells them too. Also Compare foods on Independence has them by the truck loads.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:01 PM

5,289 posts, read 6,929,886 times
Quote:
when my wife asked for melted cheddar on her nachos instead of the queso. She got half melted cheddar with queso under it
haha, thats awesome. reminds me of the ketchup and egg noodles line from "Goodfellas."

Is Zapatas the one on the boardwalk? My wife-to-be and I were not impressed by that either. We are on mission to find good Mexican though and have been trying new places. I'll DM you if we find anything good. I have very high standards for Mexican food.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:02 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,715,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZEP View Post
I cant think of the name right now, but there is a great little place next to Trader Joes off Rea Road in Piper Glen. Pretty authentic.
Senor Tequila Cantina Grill
6414 Rea Rd
Charlotte, NC 28277
(704) 543-0706

Locally owned (not a chain).

Old 05-11-2009, 02:23 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,470,153 times
Damn, another Mexican Food thread, wait a tear is welling again, I miss El Torito!

So far haven't found anything to replace it. DH and I like our salsa hot and I mean nose running, mouth on fire that a margarita doesn't even extinguish it. Our waiter made us a special blend.

It's tough to find a good chili reno too.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:33 PM

45,245 posts, read 95,836,451 times
I really like La Unica in Indian Trail - pretty authenic and tasty!

Old 05-11-2009, 02:33 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,715,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
Damn, another Mexican Food thread
Y, that means another pizza thread can only be a few more days away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte