Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Charlotte: rural area, mainstream religious background, fitting in, white supremists, privacy

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 5,566 times

Advertisements

At the expense of sounding paranoid, I've been doing a lot of research on the area and have even more questions.

I am selling my house in Southern Colorado. I currently have over 2 acres and live in the sticks outside of the Durango area. It's beautiful here but time for something new. I moved here 7 yrs ago from San Diego trying to escape the cost of living and traffic. My Boyfriend's family is from Charlotte area and after looking it does look a little cheaper then here.

I have been focused on moving to a more rural area within 30 minutes to the charlotte area. I liked a house in Monroe and like many of you the realtor went on and on about how bad Monroe is, blah blah blah. I also like the York County area of SC (Rock Hill, Fort Mill) although a little concerned with the commute for my boyfriend. Any info?? I have a 5 yr old and a 15 yr old. My 15 yr old has 3 yrs left in HS and I need to make sure wherever we land we can stay for that time for her to finish school in one place.

My biggest concern is that I have never lived on the East Coast. I am a Natural Health Practitioner and Intuitive Life/Relationship Coach. My fear is that although I primarily work with my clients from home and mostly over the phone from all over the US and UK is that due to the "Alternative" nature, I will have some issue fitting into the area's strong "mainstream religious" background. Perhaps I'm wrong but I surely want to know all the factors before uprooting myself and kids. I read on one of these posts that there is a KKK offfice in the northern area of Charlotte. I am Hawaiian/Filipino/Portuguese and have had little problem with it on the West Coast but experienced racism only on the East Coast from my Ex Husband's family who were very White Sumpremist in their attitudes.

Sorry for the long post but just want to know if the area is open minded and if I can find a place to land with a little acreage for privacy, and a better quality of life for myself and my children.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 11:30 AM

227 posts, read 293,018 times
why not call the Colorado chapter and ask them...

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635175667,00.html

http://www.denver-rmn.com/millennium/1123mile.shtml (broken link)

Old 04-06-2007, 02:04 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,030 times
The KKK is here- but it isn't as bad as some make it seem. Its not like you will be walking down the street & see them dressed in the bedsheets they wear walking around. I think, generally in the surrounding areas, they have marches/protests, but there isn't a big turnout. Generally there are more people protesting them then there are marchers.
As for the commute, I really can't comment on it since I go the opposite way (live in Charlotte- work in Union). It might seem bad at first but once you learn your way around the area & learn shortcuts you can cut down the commute.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:20 PM

279 posts, read 1,085,975 times
Default culture shock

Hi Beez,

I'm a new resident of Charlotte, but I was born & raised on the east coast (MD), and I'm definitely an easterner. I know Durango, CO well, as my mom & dad used to have a condo at Tamarron that we'd vacation to every winter (too bad they sold it a few years back - darn!) Lovely spot.

Anyway, my husband and I just returned back east after spending 14 months living in southern Oregon (he convinced me to go, as he always wanted to live in Ashland, OR). But, as lovely as the vistas were, I am so happy to be back east. Your concerns about not fitting in with how "conventional" it is back here may really be valid, esp. in light of your line of work. I didn't know much about west coast living until I got there, and I was really unhappy (much too unconventional and laid back for me). The alternative thinking/living was not for me. My husband worked down near Mt. Shasta, and I thought those people were the weirdest people on earth! All this stuff about reading auras, crystals, aliens in the mountain, and spiritualism (yes, I'm spiritual, too, but on the inside) - but you know, I was the anomoly there. This was a culture completely foreign to me, and I just could not understand it. But they were being themselves, and that is fine, I just didn't belong and I felt like a square peg. Lesson learned, but I will think very long and hard before moving to a new region ever again. If you want to PM me, feel free.

For the record, I sense no racism or bigotry here at all, and I think it's a lovely area. Actually, I think people are MUCH nicer here than they were in Ashland or Medford, OR (I found them quite standoffish). But all of the amenities that exist here, like shopping, restaurants, and even traffic are what I am used to, and to me that is "home". But it may not be for some, and it's a lot to consider.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

Nina

Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,566 times
Default Thanks

I appreciate your reply!! I would love input about Union County and York County if anyone has any as to the availability of acreage, schools, and atmosphere.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:52 PM

227 posts, read 293,018 times
I dont know much about those areas, but im pretty sure the more rural area you are in, the less "understanding" people are apt to be. Just makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
I appreciate your reply!! I would love input about Union County and York County if anyone has any as to the availability of acreage, schools, and atmosphere.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:16 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,913,736 times
Quote:
My biggest concern is that I have never lived on the East Coast. I am a Natural Health Practitioner and Intuitive Life/Relationship Coach. My fear is that although I primarily work with my clients from home and mostly over the phone from all over the US and UK is that due to the "Alternative" nature, I will have some issue fitting into the area's strong "mainstream religious" background. Perhaps I'm wrong but I surely want to know all the factors before uprooting myself and kids. I read on one of these posts that there is a KKK offfice in the northern area of Charlotte. I am Hawaiian/Filipino/Portuguese and have had little problem with it on the West Coast but experienced racism only on the East Coast from my Ex Husband's family who were very White Sumpremist in their attitudes.
As someone who knows Colorado very well, let me just say that you will not have any more problems here than in Durango. In fact, I have found more incidents of supremacist activity out west than here. Any "hate crimes" (graffitti, etc) in Charlotte metro in my years here have been done by idiot kids who were caught and punished.

The south has this reputation for the KKK and such that is antiquated and ridiculous in modern times. Please don't let it concern you one bit. You will be welcome here!!!!

As for you profession, you will be surprised at how much alternative health there is here!! Maybe I can find some links for you if you'd like, but trust me religion and such will have NO bearing on your profession, especially in Charlotte.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:59 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
I have lived in the Charlotte area all of my 41 years and have never seen a march or been aware of any incidents concerning the KKK. If thy're around, they're so underground, you won't know they're here. People of many races and beliefs get along really well. Just be sure to stay clear of rumors and stereotypes.

The Ft. Mill/Tega Cay/Lake Wylie area would be nice. Very good schools. If you want to go a little more rual, try the western area of Lake Wylie and Clover. Very beautiful with great schools and home prices. My brother and his family live there and love it.

Good luck!!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:26 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,955,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
At the expense of sounding paranoid, I've been doing a lot of research on the area and have even more questions.

I am selling my house in Southern Colorado. I currently have over 2 acres and live in the sticks outside of the Durango area. It's beautiful here but time for something new. I moved here 7 yrs ago from San Diego trying to escape the cost of living and traffic. My Boyfriend's family is from Charlotte area and after looking it does look a little cheaper then here.

I have been focused on moving to a more rural area within 30 minutes to the charlotte area. I liked a house in Monroe and like many of you the realtor went on and on about how bad Monroe is, blah blah blah. I also like the York County area of SC (Rock Hill, Fort Mill) although a little concerned with the commute for my boyfriend. Any info?? I have a 5 yr old and a 15 yr old. My 15 yr old has 3 yrs left in HS and I need to make sure wherever we land we can stay for that time for her to finish school in one place.

Sorry for the long post but just want to know if the area is open minded and if I can find a place to land with a little acreage for privacy, and a better quality of life for myself and my children.

Thanks!

Hmmm Phoenix is considered the West Coast and they had a big white supremist movement out there. They were pretty open about it. They even had a teenage gang called the Devil dogs in Gilbert. Google it. Racism is coast to coast believe it.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:51 PM

473 posts, read 1,578,721 times
Red face KKK/employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sippi View Post
I dont know much about those areas, but im pretty sure the more rural area you are in, the less "understanding" people are apt to be. Just makes sense.
Very good point, Mr.Sippi.

I don't imagine you'll have problems around Charlotte itself and most of the surrounding suburbs. The KKK is here but if you are concerned with anything that I posted, they're an hour north of Charlotte around China Grove, last I knew. There could be more here that I'm not aware of... The only point I was trying to make with my post on the KKK thread is that the KKK are here in NC because a poster claimed another would not have any problems in NC. I disagree about that in some areas and have lived outside of Winston-Salem and Asheville, and have been in the South a lot longer than the poster had been. Just because a poster lives in Charlotte for 3 years cannot lump Charlotte in with the rest of the state. I think you have to know the area and be comfortable with it, but not all areas are as accepting as others.

As far as your profession, I do know the Asheville area is into that whole "altitude is attitude". They won't serve a diet coke in some restaurants because it's not considered healthy. Trust me, I found out the hard way when I went to lunch with a couple of girls and ordered one. They all gasped, including the waitress. But I had a black lady make a comment to me that they would vacation in Asheville but would not want to live there. She wasn't surprised when I asked her about the KKK in China Grove. It's not an area that she would personally live in, nor Asheville. She was comfortable around Greensboro and seems to be comfortable here, too.

I believe you have to do your homework and visit a lot. Get an understanding of the area before you move. There are areas you won't have any problems at all in, there are areas that you may. Know what you are getting into before you make a huge move to another coast. Do some research for your profession in the area you are looking into. I wouldn't jump from one coast to another just because of cost savings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte