Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:55 PM

396 posts, read 1,630,512 times

Advertisements

I guess our story was a little different. My husband's job came and found him. We hadn't ever thought of NC until a head-hunter called him. And in fact, we didn't really consider it seriously even after he was offerred the job. His new company flew us out for a week to visit, he accepted the job and we moved two weeks later. Thankfully we didn't have to sell our house. We just waited for the movers and headed on up. We stayed in corporate housing (my husband's company has a condo) and I gave myself 7 days to find a house with a goal of closing 21 days later. It took us a total of 11 days to find a house (but only because my first offer was debated on for 5 days by the seller). We struck gold on the third house that we made an offer on and closed 20 days later. I don't recommend temporary housing unless it is furnished like ours was. The last time we were re-located we did that, rented for 6 months before we bought a house. It really means moving twice and it was awful. I told my husband that I was moving straight into a house this time and if I absolutely hated it....we'd move in 3 years. Thankfully we love it. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 01:56 PM

148 posts, read 562,698 times
Default Still Waiting to Move!

It has been a full 2 years since we decided to leave NY for the Charlotte area. We have been there 3 times in the past 2 years researching areas, schools and subdivisions. The only thing holding us back is a job! We would pick up and leave tomorrow for a decent job offer. I would "give" my house away for whatever low bid we get just to be out of NY at this time. But...no job in NC STILL! Now we are considering buying a business. Hopefully that will work out and we can be there by Aug 2007 for school year to start! Good luck!

Old 04-07-2007, 06:58 PM

44 posts, read 174,514 times
My husband and I had no idea where we were moving when we put our house up for sale in CT. We listed our house in October and knew we just wanted to get out . We researched on the internet and being that my husband is a computer software engineer we needed to be in a mini programming hub and also he speacializes in financial programming. We narrowed it down to Austin or Charlotte and Charlotte won.
We listed our home in Ct on 10/12 and moved to Charlotte on 5/1So aprox 6 months froms tart to finish

Old 04-07-2007, 08:06 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,715,999 times
We started our research in July 2006. We were mainly concentrating our efforts in the Raleigh area. But, by October 2006, we realized Charlotte would be a better relocation site for us. We put our house on the market in NJ in November and sold it in December. My husband flew out to Charlotte a few times to find a home and employment. As it turned out, we left NJ in February 2007 to move into our new house in Charlotte, eventhough my husband had not yet found a job. Everyone thought we were crazy! (And looking back, it was. Especially because we have children.) But just as things ALWAYS have a way of working out (lots of praying going on during those months), he did eventually find a job. So, the entire process took about 7 months, start to finish. It wasn't easy, but I'm so glad we took the risk. One thing is for sure...I'll NEVER do it again!
Good Luck to you.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:12 PM

536 posts, read 1,692,958 times
Default Mid Feb to May 22nd

I had a progamming job I was coming down to accept or decline, depending on if my wife liked the area. It was a rainy miserable day and she hated it for the first few hours, because she got lost and ended up in Monroe

Needless to say my two daughters 8 and 5 at the time, said Mom are you crazy this is beautiful!

We bought our house that weekend. Sold our home back on Long Island in the first weekend (priced it right, yea I do this!) in dead of Winter (March). I came down March 31st (that was hard!), closed on home May 19th up there, and May 22nd down here. Have not looked back once since, and never will!

Old 04-07-2007, 08:56 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
We started our research in July 2006. We were mainly concentrating our efforts in the Raleigh area. But, by October 2006, we realized Charlotte would be a better relocation site for us. We put our house on the market in NJ in November and sold it in December. My husband flew out to Charlotte a few times to find a home and employment. As it turned out, we left NJ in February 2007 to move into our new house in Charlotte, eventhough my husband had not yet found a job. Everyone thought we were crazy! (And looking back, it was. Especially because we have children.) But just as things ALWAYS have a way of working out (lots of praying going on during those months), he did eventually find a job. So, the entire process took about 7 months, start to finish. It wasn't easy, but I'm so glad we took the risk. One thing is for sure...I'll NEVER do it again!
Good Luck to you.

Congrats on finally getting that job!

Old 04-08-2007, 11:27 AM

543 posts, read 1,824,520 times
About 2.5 years for us. When we first started looking you could still buy new waterfront houses on lake norman for about what we ended up paying for our not even close to waterfront house. Still a great deal though.. If I could only go back in time

Old 04-08-2007, 03:05 PM

239 posts, read 877,539 times
We looked @ homes on 2 occasions (1 day seeing about 5-6 and the other day we saw about 20-- the 2nd time we found our house).

We purchased it from Connecticut, and stayed with my fiances mom for about a month until closing. In all, we ended up making about 4-5 trips to Charlotte to take care of purchasing the house.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:04 AM

73 posts, read 437,667 times
Well I am planning on doing the entire process by August 1, 2007 and My house is just going on the market this week. I have found a very nice home in the Ballentine Area and hope they will accept a contingency offer. I am sure my home will sell and I just want to not be in the severe cold next winter. Plus it will be a great relief as I get close to retirement age not to have to pay $14,000 in taxes, etc.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:22 AM

889 posts, read 3,116,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh View Post
About 2.5 years for us. When we first started looking you could still buy new waterfront houses on lake norman for about what we ended up paying for our not even close to waterfront house. Still a great deal though.. If I could only go back in time
I hear you on that!!! We first came out 5 years ago when my son attended Nascar Tech. You should have seen the home prices on the lake then! It was so unbelievabe especially comming form Calif. If i too could have gone back in time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte