Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 PM

362 posts, read 1,345,529 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have recently moved to Charlotte...did any of you and your spouses move in "shifts"? I mean, did any of you move out, and then a few days/weeks/months later, your spouse followed, or vice versa? If so, how long were you there before your spouse came? Why did s/he stay behind?...to finish selling your home, earn extra income until an employer in Charlotte hired you, finish out the kids' school year, any other reason I may not be thining of?

I suggested to my husband that maybe I should move to Charlotte, while he stays here for a while. I thought maybe that way, I can work there (my job is telecommutable from anywhere), rent a short-term apartment, and I can get to know areas/neighborhoods and do a preliminary house hunt for us. Also, he'd be able to use my temporary Charlotte address for his resume, since it seems a lot of potential employers aren't really interested in him because he doesn't live in Charlotte yet.

He can stay here and work at his current job until our house sells and/or he gets a job in Charlotte. Then, he could move there, and we could buy a house fairly soon afterward, instead of first trying to get to know the areas and house-hunt at that point, since it may be months from now. Basically, me moving there would give us a little "head start."

He's against it...doesn't want to be separated for that long (which is sweet, but maybe not very practical??) He seems to think we'd be weird for splitting up like that...even though it would only be temporary. He thinks only couples who are having marriage problems would be willing to live in separate cities (we just got married last year). I told him I think it's pretty common for couples to do that, in this type of situation, but I could be wrong. Is that a dumb idea? Does it put too much of a strain on a marriage? Do you wish you had/had not done it that way? Did it work out for the best?

This is really bothering us, because we can't decide what to do...ANY insight would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 09:37 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
For those of you who have recently moved to Charlotte...did any of you and your spouses move in "shifts"? I mean, did any of you move out, and then a few days/weeks/months later, your spouse followed, or vice versa? If so, how long were you there before your spouse came? Why did s/he stay behind?...to finish selling your home, earn extra income until an employer in Charlotte hired you, finish out the kids' school year, any other reason I may not be thining of?

I suggested to my husband that maybe I should move to Charlotte, while he stays here for a while. I thought maybe that way, I can work there (my job is telecommutable from anywhere), and a short-term apartment, and I can get to know areas/neighborhoods and do a preliminary house hunt for us. Also, he'd be able to use my temporary Charlotte address for his resume, since it seems a lot of potential employers aren't really interested in him because he doesn't live in Charlotte yet.

He can stay here and work at his current job until our house sells and/or he gets a job. Then, he could move to Charlotte, and we could buy a house fairly soon afterward, instead of first trying to get to know the areas and house-hunt at that point, since it may be months from now. Basically, me moving there would give us a little "head start."

He's against it...doesn't want to be separated for that long (which is sweet, but maybe not very practical??) He seems to think we'd be weird for splitting up like that...even though it would only be temporary. He seems to think only couples who are having marriage problems would be willing to live in separate cities (we just got married last year). I told him I think it's pretty common for couples to do that, in this type of situation, but I could be wrong. Is that a dumb idea? Does it put too much of a strain on a marriage? Do you wish you had/had not done it that way?

This is really bothering us, because we can't decide what to do...ANY insight would be much appreciated!
Some people who moved down here with a Wachovia relocation came here without the spouse. One guy left his wife and kid behind for several months while she worked on selling the house. Another left her husband and son behind for a couple of months until they were able to make it down. It happened in a few other instances that I'm personally aware of, so it is common and very practical. That doesn't mean you don't love one another or you have marriage problems, it's just the most practical way to go about things.

Like I've said...if anyone gets a job offer, even if it means splitting up for a couple of months, you're an absolute fool if you don't take it. There's too many people coming down here at once. The one time you turn down an offer could be the last one you get for months.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
Common occurrence and practical. Have done it myself although not for this move but years ago it was necessary that my DH stay behind in Jersey while I left immediately for Maryland. We had a long-distance marriage for just under a year.

In fact, we've experienced this at different times while I was active duty military.

Marriages not only survive these type of scenarios but in many instances the relationships strengthen. Very exciting to "hook up" when time and schedules permit.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your husband.

SL

Old 04-06-2007, 10:30 PM

Do a search on Google on "commuter marriages" and here is an article you might find helpful:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...v19/ai_6972634

Old 04-06-2007, 10:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Common occurrence and practical. Have done it myself although not for this move but years ago it was necessary that my DH stay behind in Jersey while I left immediately for Maryland. We had a long-distance marriage for just under a year.

In fact, we've experienced this at different times while I was active duty military.

Marriages not only survive these type of scenarios but in many instances the relationships strengthen. Very exciting to "hook up" when time and schedules permit.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your husband.

SL
"Hooking up" with your hubby, HAHAHA -that made me smile (to think of married people actually hooking up with the person they are actually married to!!!)

Old 04-06-2007, 10:42 PM

Pretty darned exciting to think of a long term relationship in those terms.

SL

Old 04-07-2007, 06:07 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
I am assuming you don't have kids to worry about in this mix.

We did it once with kids and it was very difficult. Without kids it would have been easier.

We were separated for 10 weeks only though.

He was NOT happy with me at the time because I left him with all the packing up and moving!

It probably isn't the best scenario really, but I know people do it.

Dawn

Old 04-07-2007, 06:51 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
This is something we have thought of doing. Having dh go down first and get 'established.' Get work there and have the address for the both of us. He could be working towards that 3mo time period in which to get healthcare ins for us and so forth. He says he cant do it. Can't go to sleep without me, and he is a truck driver and no sleep=bad news. I can understand that....

Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 AM

476 posts, read 1,576,050 times
We too assume we will have to do it as it is unlikely a job offer and house sale will happen simultaneously. Not looking forward to doing it but definitely seems like the nature of the beast and our desire to relocate is strong enough to move forward. Best of luck to all of you.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:02 PM

239 posts, read 877,959 times
My fiance moved 1st (job transfer went through earlier than expected), and the children and I moved 3 weeks later after he closed on the new house (old house was already sold--he flew back up and we all drove down--that was an adventure and a whole other story ).

We was staying in an extended-stay place, and we were staying with his mom for those 3 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte