U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 03:27 PM

235 posts, read 677,384 times

Advertisements

Well it was such a crazy visit I never got to visit the supermarket,,,but then of course with 2 kids and a husband complaining about it I am glad I didn't even try. So here is my list of questions..this will give me an idea as to cost and other thoughts.

Do you pay tax on all your groceries? Like meat, chicken and dairy?

What is the tax % in NC at the stores?

Here is one is someone wants to/can answer

How much is a gallon of Tropicana OJ?

How much is a dozen eggs?

How much is a gallon of bottled water (poland springs if possible)

How much does a pound of chicken breast(boneless) go for on the average.

Thanks to anyone who can answer this.

Talia
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 03:49 PM

178 posts, read 823,714 times
Sales tax is 7.5%. Yes, we pay tax on all of our groceries. You can go on the Harris Teeter (our largest grocery chain to check any prices you might want to compare.

http://www.harristeeter.com/

Old 04-08-2007, 04:22 PM

18,434 posts, read 30,816,869 times
wow, 4.5 in VA...eek great ?? momof2

how bout a gallon of store brand 1%milk?

Old 04-08-2007, 04:33 PM

5,661 posts, read 25,238,334 times
Retail sales of tangible personal property not subject to a reduced rate of tax are subject to the current 4.25% general State sales tax. The state sales tax rate will be reduced to 4% effective July 1, 2007.

Items subject to the general rate are also subject to the 2.5% local rate of tax that is levied by all counties in North Carolina. Mecklenburg County has an additional ½% local tax for public transportation.

A 2% local rate of sales or use tax applies to retail sales and purchases of qualifying food; the ½% Mecklenburg County sales and use tax for public transportation does not apply. Purchases of non-qualifying food are subject to the general rate of State tax and the applicable local tax.

Taxation of Food & Food Products in NC

http://www.dornc.com/practitioner/sa.../section19.pdf

Last edited by mm34b; 04-08-2007 at 04:45 PM..

Old 04-08-2007, 05:43 PM

396 posts, read 1,526,395 times
The price of groceries has been the one and only disappointment since coming to Charlotte. Everything is just about double from out west.....produce sometimes triple. I just close my eyes and swipe my card at the grocery store.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
The price of groceries has been the one and only disappointment since coming to Charlotte. Everything is just about double from out west.....produce sometimes triple. I just close my eyes and swipe my card at the grocery store.
oh man...and my son eats like a human garbage disposal...

Old 04-08-2007, 06:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,317,867 times
I often find milk cheaper at our shop and rob stores than grocery store I just bought a gallon a hour ago 3.79 but at the shop and rob it 2.99

a gallon. (at certain H.T. stores you can get milk in glass returnable bottles) There is alot of farmer markets in the area and Harris Teeter is my favorite chain due to it great selection, clean stores, friendly staff and they dont give me a ugly look because I insist on paper bags.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I often find milk cheaper at our shop and rob stores than grocery store I just bought a gallon a hour ago 3.79 but at the shop and rob it 2.99

a gallon. (at certain H.T. stores you can get milk in glass returnable bottles) There is alot of farmer markets in the area and Harris Teeter is my favorite chain due to it great selection, clean stores, friendly staff and they dont give me a ugly look because I insist on paper bags.
Thats the price here for a gallon here in VA, but we have Wal Mart for grocery shopping, Food Lion, Farm Fresh in my local area, but further out there are Harris Teeter, Kroger, I don't know what else... LOL cuz i don't go out there for groceries. I find the cheapest prices in Wal Mart, but come out w chest pains!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:40 AM

3,356 posts, read 9,151,775 times
Check the pharmacys for milk you can usually always get a gallon of milk for $3

Produce from Super-Walmart or farmers markets.

Grocerys from Super-walmart.

Meat from fresh-market, just the two off us.

If was feeding a family I would buy the meat from BJ's

Old 04-09-2007, 07:59 AM

476 posts, read 1,476,001 times
Good info! Thanks for starting the post! I find groceries and such were the little things we hadn't considered and in some cases they may not be so little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte