Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 05:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,459 times

Advertisements

It's very possible that we will be relocating (with a new job) to the Char-Meck area from the Triad area of NC. The job is in the area of 77 N. near W. W.T. Harris.

We are a family of three. Mom and Dad are in our later 30's. We'd like our child to attend a "better than average" elementary school... if they exist. We've checked GreatSchools for a start. But, came up with more questions than answers.

Does a decent neighborhood exist (new or established) in the $120's - $170's with a 3/2 or larger? Seems like a lot of very similar vinyl boxes with oak cabinets and laminate counter tops. If that's what it is, that's fine... we just don't want to overlook something in our naivete of the area.

Can a few locals provide a little more guidance?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 05:48 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx88 View Post
It's very possible that we will be relocating (with a new job) to the Char-Meck area from the Triad area of NC. The job is in the area of 77 N. near W. W.T. Harris.

We are a family of three. Mom and Dad are in our later 30's. We'd like our child to attend a "better than average" elementary school... if they exist. We've checked GreatSchools for a start. But, came up with more questions than answers.

Does a decent neighborhood exist (new or established) in the $120's - $170's with a 3/2 or larger? Seems like a lot of very similar vinyl boxes with oak cabinets and laminate counter tops. If that's what it is, that's fine... we just don't want to overlook something in our naivete of the area.

Can a few locals provide a little more guidance?

Thanks
Yes, nice homes can be found with pretty good schools in the upper end of that price range I'd suggest you check out neighborhoods in Huntersville, which is still in Mecklenburg County and just a bit north of your job location. Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:52 PM

I'll send you a few links to neighborhoods you might want to check out - one of my faves half in Charlotte and half out of Charlotte near your job location is called Highland Creek. They have their own school right in the neighborhood. It's a very popular area.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:53 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,794 times
Check out Wedgewood North. Not sure about the school but the neighborhood is nice. It is at the top of your price range. I always use Allen Tate's map search so i can see what is available in a certain range in a certain area...

Old 05-21-2009, 06:00 PM

3 posts, read 6,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Check out Wedgewood North. Not sure about the school but the neighborhood is nice. It is at the top of your price range. I always use Allen Tate's map search so i can see what is available in a certain range in a certain area...
We've been using Zip Realty, Trulia, Allen Tate and Zillow.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkleoni1 View Post
Nice looking, but most are over Racer's price range I'm afraid - and I can't say I'm big on the schools there, sorry.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Racer - Loves pointed you in the right direction. I would also suggest that you not rule out Huntersville. If you didn't mind the commute from Mooresville (and it is a commute!) I would also say check there. Concord would also have areas that might match your expectations. A lot depends on what you would feel comfortable with in regard to your commute.

BTW - welcome to Charlotte!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,830,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx88 View Post
In my case we do things to avoid handouts and forclosures... like I said in my o.p.:

There's always one humorist in the bunch, thanks.
Someone's overdosed on chlorine.

For people who post about moving to Charlotte and unaware of the job market/unemployment rate that's when we reply with please don't come without a job. But as you stated you'd be moving for a job transfer, totally different scenario. Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 05-23-2009, 12:41 AM

129 posts, read 339,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Racer - Loves pointed you in the right direction. I would also suggest that you not rule out Huntersville. If you didn't mind the commute from Mooresville (and it is a commute!) I would also say check there. Concord would also have areas that might match your expectations. A lot depends on what you would feel comfortable with in regard to your commute.

BTW - welcome to Charlotte!
I don't get to say this often, but "I'm with Ani". I have not done the AM commute down 77, but I would look up that way before buying a Charlotte address. Not that Charlotte is bad, I just like it up north there.
Good Luck and welcome!

Last edited by Guy Fawkes; 05-23-2009 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: can't spell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte