Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 12:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

I have posted about a dozen or so "let's get Charlotte back to work" threads over the last few months, but it just occurred to me that maybe there are tips we could offer to anyone reading here . . . ways to find jobs, best recruiters or temp agencies that are above board, resources in general.

So I will start off w/ the ESC website, where you can search for open positions posted w/ the ESC.

ESC NC Individual Services: NC Job Bank

Other ideas:

Time Warner
Duke Power
Piedmont Natural Gas

So anyone have some other suggestions for people trying to research job possibilities here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 12:20 PM

Here is a list of Fortune 500 Companies in Charlotte. Go to this page, and you will notice a small red box; click on that and it will generate a PDF list of Fortune 500 companies.

Charlotte Chamber

Old 05-24-2009, 01:22 PM

210 posts, read 507,807 times
Default Job search support and Methods that help

Thanks for starting this Ani; Here is a list of Job search support groups

These groups are a great way to network with others and get tips on interviewing, how to conduct a search, where and when the local job searches would be, and other general questions.

The groups I went to in Winston-Salem had people come in to give a presentation, and these people worked in positions or places such as HR, newspapers, employment or placement agencies, organizers of job fairs, franchisee placement, plus MANY others.

CNN came to one of our meetings and filmed it to show how WS was dealing with unemployment in the area and how one of our leaders came out of retirement due to the economy. We were on TV Easter Sunday morning. Another group was filmed by WXII to show how local churches were helping the unemployed. My cheery face ended up on TV 2X since March!

In another meeting, our House Representative came after being invited by a member who wanted them to see just how many DIFFERENT kinds of people were on unemployment and how hard we were working to get reemployed, not just "living off the state" and waiting for the dole to run out before we started a job hunt.

My successful methods of getting interviews? Applying on specific company websites, one headhunter, a teacher's job fair in a specific county, the Winston-Salem job fair (the interview I received from this was for a job not advertised, only apps taken at the job fair), and one by networking.

Check out a great connection called Linked In. Many of us were on it and using it. This site is for serious career people who are interested in joining career oriented associations and finding associates and acquaintances in other businesses for the purpose of networking.

The following is from a local Charlotte TV station listing

03:33 PM EDT on Thursday, March 26, 2009

[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]By NewsChannel 36 Staff
E-mail Us: NEWS@WCNC.com
[/SIZE] Here is a list of job search support groups in the Charlotte area. Times and locations are subject to change. Please call to verify before you go.
If you have a group you’d like to list on our support group page, e-mail Rachel Clapp at rclapp@wcnc.com.
CHARLOTTE
Providence United Methodist Church
WHERE: 2810 Providence Road, Charlotte
WHEN: Mondays 11:00 am
CONTACT: Bill Crigger 704-849-2500, bcrigger@compasscareer.com
Church at Charlotte Employment Network
WHERE: 2500 Carmel Road, Charlotte
WHEN : 1st and 3rd Mondays, 7:00pm
St. Matthew Catholic Church
WHERE: 8015 Ballantyne Commons Pkwy, Charlotte
New Life Center, Room 132
WHEN: 1st and 3rd Mondays, 7:00pm
St. John’s Episcopal Church
WHERE: 1623 Carmel Road
WHEN: Tuesdays, 7:00pm
CONTACT: Jeff Searcy 704-341-2255, jeffsearcy@carolina.rr.com
DAVIDSON
Davidson United Methodist Church *
WHERE: 233 St. Main Street, Davidson
*Group is limited to a specified number, call for more information
WEDDINGTON
Weddington United Methodist church
WHERE: Hemby House, 7003 Weddington-Matthews Rd., Weddington
WHEN: 2nd and 4th Mondays, 7:00PM
CONTACT: John Chaplin, 704-844-0421, jchaplin@themorgangroup.com
SOUTH CAROLINA
North Rock Hill Church
WHERE: 2562 Mt. Gallant Road, Rock Hill
WHEN: 1st and 3rd Mondays, 7:00pm
St. Philip Neri Catholic Church
WHERE: 292 Munn Road East, Fort Mill
WHEN: 2nd and 4th Mondays, 7:00pm
CONTACT: Tony Armeni -- 803-802-0614, scarmeni@comporium.net
Charlotte Professionals
WHERE: Shoney’s Restaurant, 231 Carowinds Blvd, Fort Mill
WHEN: Tuesdays, 8:00AM
CONTACT: Bill Crigger, 704-849-2500, bcrigger@compasscareer.com

Old 05-24-2009, 06:10 PM

KITTY - thank you so much for adding this valuable list! I hope others will share some resources on this thread!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:08 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Here is a list of Fortune 500 Companies in Charlotte. Go to this page, and you will notice a small red box; click on that and it will generate a PDF list of Fortune 500 companies.

Charlotte Chamber
Thank you so much, Anni There were a bunch in my area.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2jacknjess View Post
Thank you so much, Anni There were a bunch in my area.
Alright! I hope this helps! If you get ideas for other info that should be here - let me know. I would like to keep adding to this thread. You never know who might read it and get a lead or idea for a place to send a resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte