U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 PM

4 posts, read 6,057 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a single soon to be 27 year old female considering a move to Charlotte by summer 2010. I currently live in Ohio but am looking for a serious change of scenery. Things that have attracted me to the Charlotte area is that I have heard that it is a fairly integrated city and amongst the top cities for relocating singles. I have been looking at job postings in the area and have seen a number of postings for jobs in my field. I also want to move to a warmer climate. What areas of town are good for young, single professionals? I am planning to rent for about a year or two. I am thinking I will need to be in the $700 price range depending on what type of position I find. I would also like to move to an area that has a good mix of African Americans and other racial groups. Any information you can provide on the area would be helpful.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:10 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,565,188 times
Well the reality is just because you see job postings does not mean a job is available. A lot of the job agencies post jobs just for resume phishing, so no actual job, sad but true. Hopefully by 2010 our job market will be better, right now the unemployment rate is very high. Sounds like you will secure a job before you come, very smart thing to do.

You can keep up with our local headlines by going to:

[http://www.charlotteobserver.com/]

They have a living here section/new comer section which has some pretty good tips and things to do.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:35 PM

thanx nascarnancy...I will definitely secure a job prior to relocating (I'm not that much of a risk taker..)... I will also check out the link you sent

Old 05-28-2009, 11:07 PM

257 posts, read 641,476 times
You may have to increase your rent a little, but I would check out South Park, Southend, Uptown, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, Wesley Heights, NoDa and the University area.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:18 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,162,532 times
The Steele Creek area is very diverse and has apts. in your price range. It is the southwest part of Charlotte. Here is a map. Steele Creek

Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 AM

165 posts, read 540,632 times
The University area isn't too active socially. We thought it would be the most active area since it's proximity to the campus but, not so much.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,576 times
Lake Norman area is great for singles, lots to do .. check out LKNfun.com for activities- Huntersville, Cornelius has good mix of backgrounds. The further up you go towards Lake Norman- Mooresville waaaaaaayyyy less diverse. But as a once single gal in Charlotte.. Ballantyne area is all families, not much for single people. University area surprisingly not much to do even with the college campus. Southpark area is fun - lots of cool local hang outs - Sewelyn area near Queens College is where a lot of my girlfriends lived. Close to uptown and lots to do and Freedom Park is close by. Just watch crime in some apts. complexes, mostly car break-ins- just keep your wits about you. Best wishes!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Thanks to everyone for their very helpful responses... I am going to look into those areas mentioned... any additional information on specific areas would be appreciated

Old 05-31-2009, 08:12 AM

7,041 posts, read 14,375,632 times
Recommend that you get the job first, then determine where to live. Commuting here can be a bear. And, during rush hour, that 15-mile commute could take 45 min to an hour (depending upon where it is).

It's easier to find a place closer to where you are going to work..not only on your car and gas mileage, but, on your sanity, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte