Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 PM

17 posts, read 39,574 times

Advertisements

Hi all....we just removed some perennial fugly bushes and plants and I need to replant...I have no idea what to do!!!

I'm looking to put some color (love pinks and purles) around the mailbox (full sun)...the plant will need to take a beating and not expect watering every day...don't even think about petunias LOL..what a PITA!!! We ttok the gladiolas out bc the leaves flop and break and it looks so bad...Any thoughts? It can be something wild-looking too!

Are there any particular flowering bushes (maybe 2 feet and up) in height that will give me color for a while this summer and not bloom for only a week? Also going to take a beating..full sun....

I also drove by the coolest looking plant today...I'll try to get a picture...it is a "sharp" looking leafy plant that is very petite...maybe 6 inch leaves...almost looks like a cross between a cactus and monkey grass...it is not a flowering plant...but the leaves were the most magnificent deep burgundy/purple? Anyone happen to know what that is w/o seeing a pic?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 09:37 PM

529 posts, read 1,205,154 times
Butterfly Bush is a strong perennial that'll give you lots of purplish flowers through the summer. It's very beneficial for bees. Russian sage is another tough perennial with a long blooming period. Also good for bees! We have both near our mailbox.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:57 AM

226 posts, read 788,504 times
We currently live in Raleigh (planning a move to Charlotte soon) and we see alot of Clematis growing around mailboxes here. You can get them in different colors and train them to climb a trellis, fence, mailbox post. They're quite pretty and seem to do well in full sun.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:29 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,324,590 times
Begonias and marigolds take the heat well. If you notice the plants the landscapers plant around entrances, those are typically the low maintenance, heat-tolerant ones.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:11 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,664,458 times
I use Lantana down around the mailbox. They love the heat and a dry soil. A recommendation from a landscaping supply store here is a new plant known as a dwarf pomegranete as an accompaniment for Lantana.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:59 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,552,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoNewInTown View Post
Hi all....we just removed some perennial fugly bushes and plants and I need to replant...I have no idea what to do!!!

I'm looking to put some color (love pinks and purles) around the mailbox (full sun)...the plant will need to take a beating and not expect watering every day...don't even think about petunias LOL..what a PITA!!! We ttok the gladiolas out bc the leaves flop and break and it looks so bad...Any thoughts? It can be something wild-looking too!

Are there any particular flowering bushes (maybe 2 feet and up) in height that will give me color for a while this summer and not bloom for only a week? Also going to take a beating..full sun....

I also drove by the coolest looking plant today...I'll try to get a picture...it is a "sharp" looking leafy plant that is very petite...maybe 6 inch leaves...almost looks like a cross between a cactus and monkey grass...it is not a flowering plant...but the leaves were the most magnificent deep burgundy/purple? Anyone happen to know what that is w/o seeing a pic?

THANKS!
Was it like this?

If it was then it is a Phormium
Attached Thumbnails
Plant and Bush suggestions?-phormium.jpg  

Old 06-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Sorry-I knew we grow them here and they seem very hardy,but this is what I found about them
Phormium Tenax 'Purpureum' is a stunning evergreen upright perennial from New Zealand. They grow best in full sun, producing reddish flowers in summer contrasting against the purple foliage. Phormium Purpureum have architectural, bold, sword shaped leaves and require very little maintenance

If you want architectural plants to add color rather than flowers flax's and cordylines and palms come in all shapes and colors and are easy! Beware-some will grow very tall but they do restrain themselves if in pots.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
Susan - I have wondered about this plant!!! I had no idea what it was. I want some! Thank you so much for sharing the photo and info!

Old 06-04-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Susan - I have wondered about this plant!!! I had no idea what it was. I want some! Thank you so much for sharing the photo and info!
You are very welcome-I have seen them in Lowes etc.They are tropical so aren't fussy about water.They recommend that you wrap them up in the winter to protect from frost or if in pots move near to the house, but I don't bother and ours are fine. Don't want plants that are hard work!

Old 06-04-2009, 05:35 PM

17 posts, read 39,574 times
THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!!

Susan...that's it! It's amazing that you were able to identify it. I think they are just so drop dead super cool!!!! THANKS...I'm getting some!

You're next mission if you chose to accept it is to identify larger bushes that are a super dark green-purple. No flowers...Just a classic bush..only purple!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte