U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 06:42 PM

7,937 posts, read 18,901,442 times

Advertisements

if you are moving to union county go to www.unioncountymommies.com

I must say these women are awesome....and I cant wait to start getting involved once we move... ive already made friends that we get together with that live in Union and its easy to make friends...as we arent even down there yet...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 06:53 PM

297 posts, read 1,081,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pickles View Post
I currently live in a town in MA where it is very easy to meet new people and make friends. It is a kid-centric town and mom's make new friends in a flash. Our family is moving down this summer and I wanted to see if anyone here has an opinion on how open people are down in Charlotte to making new friends.
Charlotte is a little different from other area as far a meeting people. The people are freindly and pretty out going once they see you around. Meeting people is usually the problem as with any where you will mostly meet people at work and neighbors. Funny thing in Charlotte is you hardly ever see your neighbors. In the communites that I have lived the neighbors were freindly you just never see the around. If you have kids this is the best way to meet people. You can see how they act around you and their kids and quickly decide if this person is someone you want as friend. So school events and sports are the best places. Church and community events are others. Also transplants usually respond best to newcomers whereas you have to sort of earn your way with the true locals.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:09 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,694,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon R. View Post
OK, I just gotta comment about the flamingos! Where I used to live, there was this two-lane road that lead from my neighborhood to the highway. On one corner, at a four-way stop, a gentleman used to put out his pink flamingos, but he'd dress them and pose them for the occasion! For instance, on Easter, he put out a bunch of Easter eggs with Flamingos in Easter hats. Or he'd have them singing carols at Christmas, lined up with their hymnals. One summer he had the flamingos up on the porch, with fishing poles, sunglasses and funny hats, pulling a shark out of the water (inflatable shark and baby pool)! It was hilarious, and it was amazing how many costumes and props he had, and how often he'd change the scene. Well, unfortunately it wasn't to last since the some jerks started stealing the flamingos after they printed a story about them in the local newspaper.

So tacky they may be, but they were a source of entertainment for us commuters, and I'm sure the guy had many friends in the neighborhood. Guess they wouldn't work in a HOA community though!
One of the local church's youth groups "flock" people as a fund raiser - again, I was too late! This is such a good idea - dressing the birds - my evil mind is working, looking forward to next year......

Old 04-15-2007, 04:31 PM

220 posts, read 1,056,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pickles View Post
I currently live in a town in MA where it is very easy to meet new people and make friends. It is a kid-centric town and mom's make new friends in a flash. Our family is moving down this summer and I wanted to see if anyone here has an opinion on how open people are down in Charlotte to making new friends.
We moved to south Charlotte in 2002 from VA. My husband dragged me down crying and screaming! Our first weekend there we were invited to a neighborhood cookout. By the end of our second week we had met just about everyone on our block. No one there was from NC much less Charlotte so we were all in the same boat. We were in our 40's with no kids but still made friends with no problems. When my husband told me we were moving back to VA I cried for 6 months. Yes, Charlotte is very family oriented and friendly. Good Luck!

Old 04-15-2007, 08:41 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,697,900 times
Most of the folks here have already given great advice.

I'm not particularly outgoing yet I've developed some good relationships and find most people helpful, welcoming and kind.

Interestingly, I find that I've become more involved in my "community" here than was ever possible/likely in our former Jersey town. It's definitely more family oriented than anyplace we've ever lived (and we've moved around a bit).

The fellowship is available to those who seek it.

Good luck with your move!

Sincerely,

Sara

Old 04-15-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Most of the folks here have already given great advice.

I'm not particularly outgoing yet I've developed some good relationships and find most people helpful, welcoming and kind.

Interestingly, I find that I've become more involved in my "community" here than was ever possible/likely in our former Jersey town. It's definitely more family oriented than anyplace we've ever lived (and we've moved around a bit).

The fellowship is available to those who seek it.

Good luck with your move!

Sincerely,

Sara
yes dh and I noticed it when we were just there buying a home, he commented about how nice everyone was and just genuinely friendly, than opposed to here.....

Old 04-15-2007, 09:09 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,697,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmomof2 View Post
yes dh and I noticed it when we were just there buying a home, he commented about how nice everyone was and just genuinely friendly, than opposed to here.....
Yes, Staci, a lot of warmth here — which is why I am always surprised when I hear comments to the contrary. Makes me wonder what type of vibes the individual is putting out.

Sincerely,

Sara

Old 04-15-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
Yes, Staci, a lot of warmth here — which is why I am always surprised when I hear comments to the contrary. Makes me wonder what type of vibes the individual is putting out.

Sincerely,

Sara
Yes I agree that is why I have to wonder sometimes...

Old 04-16-2007, 03:23 PM

6 posts, read 19,788 times
Default great feedback

thank you everyone for your feedback. In all of our visits, the one thing we kept finding was that everyone is so friendly in Charlotte. We are looking forward to a general change in attitude from what we have up here in MA.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:12 PM

99 posts, read 505,018 times
Rightly said, it depends on lot of factors. If u need any kind of help/company, I would be delighted when u r in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte