U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:15 PM

23 posts, read 59,414 times

Advertisements

Join CharlotteMommies.com. It's a wonderful way to meet new people. I am a transplant from Europe and I would say it's very easy to make friends here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 12:58 PM

146 posts, read 425,764 times
I joined CharlotteMommies site also a couple months back. Its been great, they have county specific sites that you can gain membership to from the general group. I joined the Fort Mill group and its been a great source of information and a great place to meet other moms in the area. Its nice to know when we finally move early this summer, we will already have a network.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:31 AM

108 posts, read 351,986 times
Im definitely going to check out that website, what a great idea!

PA family, hope to see u down here soon

Snitins, I might take u up on that offer.

Anyone else, feel free to PM me

Old 04-26-2007, 12:26 PM

7,937 posts, read 18,904,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofnj View Post
Im definitely going to check out that website, what a great idea!

PA family, hope to see u down here soon

Snitins, I might take u up on that offer.

Anyone else, feel free to PM me
and if your moving to Union join unioncountymommies.com I love love that site

Old 05-02-2007, 05:01 PM

928 posts, read 3,652,978 times
If YOur outgoing you will make friends anywhere. People are nice and mean equally all over the world.

Kids are huge magnet for friendships, my advice live in a community and act friendly. You can weed out the bad seeds. Kids will do it for you though.
Don't act really weird either, people will run from you.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 PM

19 posts, read 51,169 times
Default Making friends in North Carolina

Hey pickles......
I have been here for two years and have found making friends excruciating. I am a northerner, from Indiana, and have been repeatedly reminded...a yankee...sheeeeesh. It is really an adjustment. I am told we come on too strong, and a number of northerns all agree they have been told the same, we are blunt, tactless, aggressive, cold, etc............the northerns when they hear others talking just laugh and say, I know what you mean!!!! Good luck....but be prepared.
Let me put it in two words.............(passive aggression)

Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 AM

19 posts, read 56,137 times
Default Transplants

I have found it hard.
I have also been told that we are not wanted here
On the way down I stopped to get gas a couple hours 'from' Charlotte two years ago and while in conversation was asked, "why are moving TO Charlotte, everyone is moving away."
So those have been my experiences and impressions
Rassss

Old 06-22-2007, 09:01 PM

513 posts, read 1,995,298 times
I am also a "Northener", and I have found it to be very easy to make friends here! I have also met more than a few people here who have really rubbed me the wrong way - and it always turns out they are not from the South, but from all over other parts of the country! No matter where you go, you will find people that are friendly and people that are rude. I think being blunt, tactless, cold or aggressive are personal traits that have nothing to do with where someone grew up! I can't imagine anyone here telling someone that Northerners are just not wanted here. Only an idiot redneck would say something like that. The great majority of the people I have met here are polite, friendly, and eager to welcome new neighbors and friends. I came here knowing NO ONE, and I have been welcomed by native Charlotteans as well as fellow transplants. It seems to me that those people that are open and friendly should have no problems making friends, while those that relish pessimism and negativity will always struggle, regardless of where they live.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 26,983 times
Hello, what part of Charlotte will you be moving to? I, too will be moving down this summer- from RI, although I was born and raised in MA. I have lived in RI now for 2 years and have yet to make friends. I think people up north are just on guard all of the time. People usually don't make eye contact with one-another never mind saying hello, please, if you try it, they look at you like you have 10 heads! We just came back from NC 2 weeks ago and it was so nice to have people speak to you and actually seem sincere.

I'll admit it though, that I have noticed it about myself also from being in NC that I am on guard as well--- on our first visit to NC, when we were driving down the street and complete strangers were waving at us-- we couldn't help but think "We don't know them, why are they waving at us?" or "maybe they thought I was someone else" lol, and I think that is so sad!

Old 06-24-2007, 11:05 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,607,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranada View Post
Hey pickles......
I have been here for two years and have found making friends excruciating. I am a northerner, from Indiana, and have been repeatedly reminded...a yankee...sheeeeesh. It is really an adjustment. I am told we come on too strong, and a number of northerns all agree they have been told the same, we are blunt, tactless, aggressive, cold, etc............the northerns when they hear others talking just laugh and say, I know what you mean!!!! Good luck....but be prepared.
Let me put it in two words.............(passive aggression)
Hey I was wondering...can you add some more smileys to your post, I don't think we understand what you are saying, we need more smileys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte