U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2007, 07:06 AM

6 posts, read 19,517 times

Advertisements

I currently live in a town in MA where it is very easy to meet new people and make friends. It is a kid-centric town and mom's make new friends in a flash. Our family is moving down this summer and I wanted to see if anyone here has an opinion on how open people are down in Charlotte to making new friends.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 07:14 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,272,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pickles View Post
I currently live in a town in MA where it is very easy to meet new people and make friends. It is a kid-centric town and mom's make new friends in a flash. Our family is moving down this summer and I wanted to see if anyone here has an opinion on how open people are down in Charlotte to making new friends.
Hard, but it depends on your age and where/how you live. In my case I'm in my early 50's and moved 2 years ago. I live in an apartment complex. Not much chance to meet people, other than my co-workers, and a few people up at the pool in the summer. I do however have a large extended family in Charlotte and Concord, who are people who were born and raised here. But other than that, it's been difficult. Most people I meet are 20 or so years younger than me, and common interests are hard to find.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:17 AM

240 posts, read 965,531 times
If you're moving in to a newer development, I'd say your chances of making new friends easily is very good. Most of the newer developments that I've been to seem to be filled with a lot of "transplants," so they're people in a similar situation as you. Picking up from their home, moving to a new city without knowing many or any people, etc. It seems to be a pretty friendly town in general, so you probably wouldn't have a problem anywhere you moved. But the newer developments are a safe bet :-)

Old 04-14-2007, 07:21 AM

536 posts, read 1,577,649 times
I have to agree with "Steve Largent", anywhere is good, but a community is best!

Old 04-14-2007, 07:27 AM

240 posts, read 965,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith "Baby-Face" Lutz View Post
I have to agree with "Steve Largent", anywhere is good, but a community is best!
Good job

Old 04-14-2007, 09:48 AM

348 posts, read 345,965 times
You'll find lots of other transplants all around you who are in the same boat and are eager to make friends. I haven't had a stitch of trouble finding folks to be friendly with. It depends on your personality, too. If you're outgoing, friendly, and can put yourself out there--you'll have little trouble.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:58 AM

18,434 posts, read 31,172,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pickles View Post
I hope its gonna be easy, actually, I am keeping a positive mind set that it will be easy. Where we live here in Virginia its not that easy, basically the people you work with, your next door neighbor and thats about it. Granted we dont have little kids anymore, they are 11 and 13, so no more play dates...

Old 04-14-2007, 10:02 AM

254 posts, read 986,290 times
if you join www.charlottemommies.com you'll make more friends than you could imagine

Old 04-14-2007, 01:23 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,536,619 times
Just don't say how good it was were you were and how backwards we are here - can be really irritating to people. That aside, you need to be a friend to have friends. Get involved in your neighborhood, volunteer at the school (even high school - ) your kids go to, take a class or two for credit (in-state tuition after 1 year) or fun (inexpensive - fee only). Cut your grass occasionally and don't put a couch or old rusty cars without wheels on the front lawn. (I have seen big tractor tires painted white with annuals planted inside. I put mine in my back yard so as not to upset the neighbors - they never did get over the flamingos....)

Old 04-14-2007, 01:56 PM

321 posts, read 1,465,365 times
OK, I just gotta comment about the flamingos! Where I used to live, there was this two-lane road that lead from my neighborhood to the highway. On one corner, at a four-way stop, a gentleman used to put out his pink flamingos, but he'd dress them and pose them for the occasion! For instance, on Easter, he put out a bunch of Easter eggs with Flamingos in Easter hats. Or he'd have them singing carols at Christmas, lined up with their hymnals. One summer he had the flamingos up on the porch, with fishing poles, sunglasses and funny hats, pulling a shark out of the water (inflatable shark and baby pool)! It was hilarious, and it was amazing how many costumes and props he had, and how often he'd change the scene. Well, unfortunately it wasn't to last since the some jerks started stealing the flamingos after they printed a story about them in the local newspaper.

So tacky they may be, but they were a source of entertainment for us commuters, and I'm sure the guy had many friends in the neighborhood. Guess they wouldn't work in a HOA community though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte