U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:38 PM

345 posts, read 809,297 times

Advertisements

Moved to new home. Our backyard has lots of trees,nice scenic backyard..comes with a price. We see lots of small spiders in the backyard ..also small lizards..

Any idea how to get rid of them.

Also in the evening we see mosquitos, flies etc...help us..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 07:48 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,562,048 times
Move to a condo.

Seriously, that's what you are going to get with a wooded lot. The spiders are good for catching other bugs and the lizards too. If you could get some bats and dragonflies around your house they would help with the mosquitoes as well. Let me guess...you wouldn't like the bats or dragonflies either....???

I spray to keep the critters out of the house and I do spray for the spiders up under the eaves but there's not much you can do with the woods. Besides, when you are sitting out on the porch it's fun to watch the lizards walk across the railing.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:53 PM

279 posts, read 1,026,923 times
what backyard have you ever been in that did not contain bugs, flies, etc?? Anyway, as NC said, you want the lizards because they eat the bugs, you don't want to "get rid" of them.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:55 PM

873 posts, read 1,686,317 times
Welcome to nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkn006 View Post
Moved to new home. Our backyard has lots of trees,nice scenic backyard..comes with a price. We see lots of small spiders in the backyard ..also small lizards..

Any idea how to get rid of them.

Also in the evening we see mosquitos, flies etc...help us..

Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,086,289 times
I was told by a wildlife rehabilitation expert that it is illegal to kill any native animal in North Carolina unless it is during a state recognized hunting season.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Seriously though, what did you expect with new construction in a wooded area? Animals have to live somewhere...

Old 06-24-2009, 06:34 AM

873 posts, read 1,686,317 times
That is not true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I was told by a wildlife rehabilitation expert that it is illegal to kill any native animal in North Carolina unless it is during a state recognized hunting season.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Old 06-24-2009, 06:37 AM

6,776 posts, read 12,750,708 times
The lizards are totally harmless, and cute imo, pus they will eat the bugs. Plz don't try to *get rid of them*

Old 06-24-2009, 07:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,621,549 times
Note: You Are Not Living in a Bubble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
The lizards are totally harmless, and cute imo, pus they will eat the bugs. Plz don't try to *get rid of them*
+1 !

We love the chipmunks & lizards, they're everywhere.
Besides it REALLY keeps the kids busy trying to catch the lizards.

Would you like some Sphecius (Cicada Killer Wasps)?
They suck and we battle them every year.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:47 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,088,354 times
Sounds like a generic clear cut cookie cutter treeless subdivision would have been your better route. Leave the nice lot for someone who wants nature.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 AM

14,693 posts, read 24,936,751 times
Every once and a while a lizard gets into the house and my cat has great fun chasing it. I get it out of the house as quickly as I can but don't always catch it in time. At least the frogs have never made it in we have plenty of those in the backyard too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte