Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 22,492 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Charlotte in August and would like to find the most affordable housing in a fairly decent neighborhood. I've noticed that housing and rental prices are remarkably low in the Beatties Ford area. Is this considered a high crime area? Also what constitutes as high crime in Charlotte? I'm from the NY/NJ area and perhaps what's considered an average neighborhood here may be considered a dangerous neighborhood by Charlotteans.
Is there any one on this board that has moved to Charlotte from the NY/NJ area that can give me a good comparison. In NY/NJ some low income communities like Yonkers, Jersey City, and many parts of Queens can pass as not the safest, but average. While neighborhoods like Newark, Camden, Paterson, and Bed-Stuy are at the top of the list of "really dangerous". Are there any neighborhoods in Charlotte that are as bad as some of the dangerous ones here in the Northeast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 06:13 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
I grew up on Beatties Ford Road. With that being said the road is very long and goes through major neighborhood changes the closer you get to Charlotte. If you live at the lake end you should be fine. If you actually in the city limits I highly recommend you doing your due diligence.

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:14 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,912,051 times
Beatties Ford stretches from Charlotte to Lake Norman. The area you are seeing with low rates is in the Charlotte section and according to Char-Meck PD, it is a higher crime area.

The area up in Huntersville is nice (about 8-10 miles from the "Charlotte" section of Beatties Ford), and rentals for townhomes and houses range from $795-1000+ from what I have seen. There are, however, few rentals on that stretch in Huntersville, it is mostly neighborhoods of single family homes.

EDIT: CharlotteAgent and I must have been typing at the same time! :-) Great minds....

Old 04-15-2007, 06:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Beatties Ford stretches from Charlotte to Lake Norman. The area you are seeing with low rates is in the Charlotte section and according to Char-Meck PD, it is a higher crime area.
You and CharlotteAgent are trying so hard to be diplomatic

I'll put it this way, I would not personally live anywhere near Beatties Ford Rd down in the section of cheap rents. This would just be a foolish thing to do. I don't care if it's not as bad as some place in Philly or NYC - it's bad enough.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You and CharlotteAgent are trying so hard to be diplomatic

I'll put it this way, I would not personally live anywhere near Beatties Ford Rd down in the section of cheap rents. This would just be a foolish thing to do. I don't care if it's not as bad as some place in Philly or NYC - it's bad enough.
Ha, yes you are right! I am being so PC tonight, what's wrong with me?
Beatties Ford at the lake end = good.
Beatties Ford from Mt. Holly Huntersville Rd south into Charlotte = less desireable and then further south you get it is simply....bad.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
The Rozzels/Beatties Ford Road corridor is going through a major change though.

I would say once you get to 85 more so than Mt. Holly Huntersville Rd.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
The Rozzels/Beatties Ford Road corridor is going through a major change though.
Yeah, I'll still give it another 10 years
To the original poster, cheap rents will not be worth it if you get broken into every other week or don't feel safe in your home at night. Just FYI, you will see cheap rents in some places in east Charlotte too. Avoid anything that says it is on or near Albemarle Road, or on or near Eastway Drive - trust me on that.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:24 PM

OP, what is your price range? Maybe we can steer you in a more desireable direction.

Old 04-15-2007, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
OP, what is your price range? Maybe we can steer you in a more desireable direction.
Man, kmway you are reading my mind!! I was just about to type that!

Old 04-15-2007, 07:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Anyone know if they have made any decisions on the Harris Teeter near Tanner Creek Development off Beatties Ford?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte